CB panel on M20J

It just connects at the top and bottom with screws.

You need to remove all the instruments and take all the nuts off all the circuit breakers and push them back through before you remove it. If it is all original you can just take apart the circular plastic connector and leave the circuit breakers in place, but I've never seen one that original. Most have had wires added over the years.

• Like 1

There may be enough slack in the wiring to get a look behind without  needing to disconnect the rows of CB from the front face. However there’s a fuel pressure line that is usually brittle old aluminum.  Make sure you both disconnect the instruments and support the MP/FF gauge (of applicable) so that line Isn’t stressed.  

• 2 weeks later...

According to my avionics shop, the M20K has the CB panel riveted to the outside of the fuse forward of the door hinge, too. I have recent paint and that sounds like a bugger to get out. 

i just had an EDM 830 installed and it is on the Avionics buss instead of the Master, bummer.

Is this the only way to get the CB panel access?

According to my avionics shop, the M20K has the CB panel riveted to the outside of the fuse forward of the door hinge, too. I have recent paint and that sounds like a bugger to get out. 
i just had an EDM 830 installed and it is on the Avionics buss instead of the Master, bummer.
Is this the only way to get the CB panel access?
Look for two screws about a foot ahead of the door hinge. If anyone changed them out for rivets it would be a huge mistake.
  • Like 1

Yep, huge mistake - rivets, then paint.
Hmm, maybe the nutplates were stripped and someone got lazy? I don't know if Mooney changed the design on that.

If you have someone drill those out, take a razor blade around them first to cut the paint. Some shops have cutter sets that are made to cut the paint around inspection panel screws that were painted over.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info.

The Avionics buss is fine, I would just like to capture startup events on starts every time from the Master. I can do this (selectively) by pulling all my avionics CBs except the 830.

My main question was access to the CB panel like the original question.

Pictures would be helpful.   On the later F there are two machine screws with nyloc nuts on the bottom of the panel.  Do yourself a favor and replace the phillips head machine screw with allen head.   There are one or two sheet metal screws that hold it to the defroster channel.   There are 3 or so cannon plugs that could come loose.   You can reach most of the comm circuit breakers by pulling the seat and laying on your back and not messing with the cannon plugs.  A 1/2 nut driver is helpful