430W Data Download problem

Tried to download current data for my 430W for the first time and no luck.  I downloaded the terrain just fine but when I went to download the navigation data card it started to see the card, started a downloaded and then it gave me an error and now it wont read the card at all.  I have one of the silver label data cards and using the Garmin reader.  Just for troubleshooting I also put the card in my jeppesen card reader and the data card got pretty hot so I took it out.  Garmin says the problem is software on their end.  After trying to download unsuccessfully I put the card back in the 430W and now I have no data.

Just to clarify things...

It sounds like you're trying to use the Garmin reader for the NAV data. The Garmin (black) reader is for the Terrian, Jeppesen (blue card reader) for the NAV, which should say IFRW on the silver label, picture below.

Plug card into reader and then plug it into the PC. Make sure everything is right side up (White Jeppesen letters and the IFRW label should be simultaneously visible). If it starts blinking the blue light you should be good to go. I've found this can take a couple tries sometimes. You can then open  Jeppesen Distribution Manager (JDM) and program it.

3660.datacards.JPG

4 hours ago, wburger1 said:

Tried to download current data for my 430W for the first time and no luck.  I downloaded the terrain just fine but when I went to download the navigation data card it started to see the card, started a downloaded and then it gave me an error and now it wont read the card at all.  I have one of the silver label data cards and using the Garmin reader.  Just for troubleshooting I also put the card in my jeppesen card reader and the data card got pretty hot so I took it out.  Garmin says the problem is software on their end.  After trying to download unsuccessfully I put the card back in the 430W and now I have no data.

Someone please correct me if this isn't your experience, but I had to switch to an orange label data card when I upgraded my 430 to 430W.

The 430W has an orange label data card. The silver label data card is for the non-WAAS 430 and won't work in the 430W. I believe they have different capacities. The orange label card also requires the most recent data card loader, which also has an orange label.

I get my nav data from Jeppesen through the JDM app (Jeppesen Data Manager) on my Mac. I've not attempted to get nav data from Garmin, as I thought it was only available from Jeppesen.

What you heard from Garmin blows my understanding of how this works completely out of the water. They told you that you can update the nav data for a 430W through their web site? I thought it had to be done through Jeppesen, and that's the only way I've done it for the last three years.

Cheers,
Rick

I used silver label cards with my 430W from when I did the WAAS upgrade until I lost it last fall when I brought it home to update. Silver cards are no longer available; ths only ones I could find were green cards without WAAS . . . .

So I had tombyy an orange card, and the card + reader bundle was attractive since I was using an old Sky Bound unit withnabout a 2 foot long wire tonthe USB port and took ~20 minutes. When the orange card arrived, I had to do a software update on the radio to use it. 

Guard your silver WAAS cards!

There is a lifespan to these cards; they can only be rewritten so many times before failure.

I had a green go bad- jepp support over the phone was really helpful with ensuring that it wasn't a software issue (he said that there was an issue in whatever version that was with JDM that a slow connection would result in timeout and failure).  

You may luck out- if it hangs on the verification step (checksum), it may be that it works in the unit still. 

Hope this helps - B

Hopefully you got the new orange card bundled with the new orange datawriter to write to the new orange data card.

Terrain data is the most static data of aviation databases. I never bothered to update mine when I had dual 430W's for over a dozen years - scorched earth just doesn't change much. But Jeppesen nav data is a bit more complete than Garmin's for showing private airports; maybe more too.

1 hour ago, wburger1 said:

Still have not heard from Garmin.  I ordered a new orange card from Jeppesen.  Garmin has a new bundle deal to get you terrain and data for about the same price as just data on the Jeppesen site. 

Call your Garmin dealer and arrange a software update for our 430, as it may not work with the orange cards. Mine did not . . . .