Georgia and Southeast Sport Racers: Start Your Engines!

Hey folks, the Sport Air Racing League has an upcoming race in south-central Georgia on Saturday, June 23.  The Sunrise 100. This was rescheduled from early April due to rain. I know we have several racers on MSpace so I wanted to make sure people were aware of it.  Here's the link:

http://sportairrace.org/sarl/node/3722

These are fun races where you can test whatever limits of your machine you want to test. You race in categories so your overall speed doesn't matter so much as how well you do against similar planes. This year they apparently have a P-51 which will no doubt lead the pack.  I'm going just so I can hear that Merlin engine. Come join me!

• Like 1

Jeff,

you need to run the O3!  :)

Set the FF for some great cooling... somewhere around 29 - 30gph...???

Leave the prop in... 2700 for all 310 horses...

keep one eye on the CHTs, and the other on everything else...

You will outrun everyone in your class.

Unless... there is a lighter weight screamin’ Eagle in the field... :)

PP thoughts only. Not a racer... 

Best regards,

-a-

Some folks actually have painted on a specific race number, or used vinyl decals. I just use the first three numbers in my tail number, which has worked so far.

Race is tomorrow! There is a line of storms moving through their right now (10pm) which can sometimes cause lingering ceilings into the morning. But we should be able to get the race in.

• Like 1

1000’ and all three knobs forward, angle of bank equals degrees of turn, up to 60 of course. And most of all, watch out for birds and have fun. 

Dont forget to slide your seats back fully. It matters.  

• Like 3

Results are in, and Mooneys rule the factory class!  That shouldn't come as much surprise but it's always good to validate all the advertising hoopla. Unfortunately I had no other FAC1RG aircraft to race against (that's Factory, retractable with 280+hp engine) so barring some unforeseen problem I was likely to win 1st Place Factory. I need to travel to one of these other races where there are some Bonanzas or Meyers 200s to see how I can stack up. I was running a little faster than the last race, since I upped my RPM to 2600', but I was running in the middle of the yellow arc on the ASI and it was a cloudy-bumpy day so I would not want to go faster than that anyway. Down low I think that's about the limit of what I would put my airframe through.

There was a Handicap class this year, where eligible planes submitted a handicap speed based on pre-flying a particular profile. That's pretty fun because it theoretically puts everyone on a level playing field. In that race a Mooney E model from a guy in Ohio took 1st place and I got 2nd. I flew two turns very poorly which probably added at least 30 seconds to my total time which might have been the difference. Or I might not have sandbagged enough in my handicap flight! Either way, it was a good day to exercise the engine.

The obligatory pic, offering proof of my claims:

IMG_1385.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Results are in, and Mooneys rule the factory class!  That shouldn't come as much surprise but it's always good to validate all the advertising hoopla. Unfortunately I had no other FAC1RG aircraft to race against (that's Factory, retractable with 280+hp engine) so barring some unforeseen problem I was likely to win 1st Place Factory. I need to travel to one of these other races where there are some Bonanzas or Meyers 200s to see how I can stack up. I was running a little faster than the last race, since I upped my RPM to 2600', but I was running in the middle of the yellow arc on the ASI and it was a cloudy-bumpy day so I would not want to go faster than that anyway. Down low I think that's about the limit of what I would put my airframe through.

There was a Handicap class this year, where eligible planes submitted a handicap speed based on pre-flying a particular profile. That's pretty fun because it theoretically puts everyone on a level playing field. In that race a Mooney E model from a guy in Ohio took 1st place and I got 2nd. I flew two turns very poorly which probably added at least 30 seconds to my total time which might have been the difference. Or I might not have sandbagged enough in my handicap flight! Either way, it was a good day to exercise the engine.

The obligatory pic, offering proof of my claims:

We love doing these races -- our plane (Race 201) has a few FAC3RG records and we definitely welcome some real competition :) (unfortunately the few times we've raced another 201, the owner has decided to throttle her back so it was never a real head to head match up).

FWIW, I always race wide open throttle, full RPM.  It can be a tough row to hoe, hand flying that on a bumpy day (which a lot of the races are in the summer and in the south, you're fastest at a lower altitude for the most part the way the courses are designed, which means, its mostly bumpy).    Even more annoying when your neurotic husband is in the right seat "coaching you," but I will say it is easier to do these races with two people, one can focus on flying a perfect course and the other on navigating and watching traffic.  Its fun seeing yourself get faster each race as you perfect your method (but you have to watch when you are getting "fake faster," e.g. the Galveston race has 10 turns, and the formula they use to calculate your average speed biases you toward "faster" with turns).  Yeah, some of the flying is done in the yellow arc, but these are tough planes, I think most of us basically always descend in the yellow arc too.  I suggest you push it all the way for the next race, its fun seeing what your bird will do when you unleash her.  Hoping when I return to racing next year I'll top the magical 201 mph threshold.    

Edited by Becca

Final race results were posted in the last few days. I was happy to see that over the course of the three races I've done, I've been able to increase my overall speed quite a bit.  Obviously each race day is different, but all three were short course races in the Georgia/SC area so race altitudes were no more than 1500' MSL. The first two races were in very calm air, while this year's race was in much bumpier conditions. But each time I've modified my tactics with higher RPMs, better turn technique, etc. to see how much I can eke out of a production plane in stock condition. I still have a few more things I can try so I can't wait for the next one.  I think I could pretty easily hit the max book speed for an Ovation at 197 KTS.  Remember, these are timed speeds over a course so the overall number also factors in turns, wind speeds, etc.  On any straight leg I was undoubtedly closing in on 200 KTAS (at 26 GPH!).

For reference purposes, here are my times over the three races:

• 2015, Palmetto 100, 207.53 MPH/180.34 KTS  (conservative RPM and poor turning technique...my first race)
  • 2016, Southern Nationals, 219.19 MPH/190.47 KTS (better turn technique and bumped the RPM)
  • 2018, Sunrise Air Race, 224.77 MPH/195.33 KTS (bumped the RPM even more, slightly sloppy turn technique that I know cost me 30 seconds)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

One thing for certain. A M20R 310HP will absolutely smash any other production plane in the class. bonanzas go ~207mph with that power. 

Not quite sure I can agree with that statement.

Clarence