Gpsmap 696

FloridaMan

On 6/9/2018 at 7:10 AM, Bob_Belville said:

I have a GDL 88 ADS-B I/O so I do not get traffic or weather on the 696. The 750 and the tablet do that.

In the latter portion of the flight I turn the 696 to the wp - destination airport - and I can flop between the airport info - runways, freq, - and the approach plate. 

I have almost the same set up as yours except I have GTN-650 instead of the 750. The GDL-39 sends weather and traffic to the GPSMAP 696. Plus the 696 plays XM radio which an iPad cannot do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 7:57 PM, Yetti said:

and then there is free charts and approach plates.

http://www.chartbundle.com/

Or if you’re a cfi wingX is free including all ifr, high altitude, sync’d approach plates etc. it’s the main reason I use it even though I’ve used foreflight and Garmin pilot in the past They all do about the same thing but free is hard to beat 

-Robert

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Or if you’re a cfi wingX is free including all ifr, high altitude, sync’d approach plates etc. it’s the main reason I use it even though I’ve used foreflight and Garmin pilot in the past They all do about the same thing but free is hard to beat 

-Robert

FltPlan Go is free for everybody and also has geo-referenced approach plates.  I get ForeFlight (basic) free from my work and still prefer FltPlan go.

31 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

FltPlan Go is free for everybody and also has geo-referenced approach plates.  I get ForeFlight (basic) free from my work and still prefer FltPlan go.

The Achilles heel is that companies like Garmin have locked these other providers out and they will not share weather, traffic, etc over common protocols. They keep it proprietary so only Garmin products and licensees like Foreflight can play. Kind of dirty pool if you ask me.

-Robert 

33 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I like the "free" part as well and I have it as the second app on my iPad and iPhone for backups. I just wish the database updates worked better. Still need to relaunch failed updates and it does take a while.

44 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

The Achilles heel is that companies like Garmin have locked these other providers out and they will not share weather, traffic, etc over common protocols. They keep it proprietary so only Garmin products and licensees like Foreflight can play. Kind of dirty pool if you ask me.

-Robert 

Sorry, this is incorrect.  My Garmin GDL-39 displays traffic and weather very nicely on FltPlan Go.  It became a feature about 9 months ago.

(Not sure about the synthetic vision/AHARS stuff- you might be quite correct about that- my 39 is the basic model.)

My 696 is displaying weather but NOT traffic.  I have two I-pads (mini on yoke for me) and mini on wife’s yoke for her.  The 696 was updated with current download <6 months ago so likely I don’t have something “checked”.  Anybody know what/where that is?  I love my 696 and use it for restricted airspace and course as primary during my VFR flights.  I have the GDL-39 basic also installed in plane.  The GDL-39 is wired to the 696 and Bluetooth to the pads.

Edited by MyNameIsNobody

9 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert 

Good news.  The recent releases of FltPlan Go now link with the Garmin Flightstream products.  So now there is a free option.

• Like 1