Gpsmap 696

FloridaMan

I forgot that my plane included a 696. The instructor didn’t want me to be distracted by it during transition training and put it in the baggage area. The databases haven’t been updated in years. It looks as if they want you to subscribe and it’s cheaper to do an annual North America subscription for $200 than it is to do a single update of all the databases. This one has the GXM40 antenna that gets nexrad weather, but no traffic. I’ve heard the GDL39 is the compatible traffic antenna, and that the GDL39 3d would not have any advantage. 

Can someone fill me in with some details and recommendations? 

From the Garmin website, it looks like it’s $800 for the shared plan. Since I only have one panel-mount GPS, it seems like separate subscriptions is a better deal unless I’m mistaken somewhere, such as Garmin pilot being able to save me on ForeFlight. 

8 minutes ago, Antares said:

From the Garmin website, it looks like it’s $800 for the shared plan. Since I only have one panel-mount GPS, it seems like separate subscriptions is a better deal unless I’m mistaken somewhere, such as Garmin pilot being able to save me on ForeFlight. 

I guess your "panel mount GPS" is the 696? 

The $800 gets you all the data, FliteCharts (approach plates) etc on a certified GPS (like my GTN 750) plus a portable (like our 696) and Garmin Pilot Premium Upgrade on up to 3 devices. The Garmin Pilot "Standard" is $75 and you'll need that for tablets/phones.

2 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I guess your "panel mount GPS" is the 696? 

The $800 gets you all the data, FliteCharts (approach plates) etc on a certified GPS (like my GTN 750) plus a portable (like our 696) and Garmin Pilot Premium Upgrade on up to 3 devices. The Garmin Pilot "Standard" is $75 and you'll need that for tablets/phones.

No. I have a 430W that I purchased a subscription from Jeppessen for ($500 for the Americas), but it looks like it’s $200 for North America for just a 696 subscription. 

6 minutes ago, Antares said:

No. I have a 430W that I purchased a subscription from Jeppessen for ($500 for the Americas), but it looks like it’s $200 for North America for just a 696 subscription. 

Okay, if you use fly.Garmin for the 430 you get the 696 and the Garmin Pilot Premium "free". That's everything including charts on the 2 GPSs and up to 3 devices running Pilot. 

Look up the PilotPak stuff. There is one for everything including Garmin Pilot that is less. I will log in and see if I can find it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

With a 430W you’ll want the one without the FliteCharts for $649 (standard). What was Jepp getting for just the 430?

Why not get the FliteCharts? Even though the 430 probably can't display them very well they're pretty nice on the 696 and the tablet running GPilot. 

Why not get the FliteCharts? Even though the 430 probably can't display them very well they're pretty nice on the 696 and the tablet running GPilot. 

The FlightCharts aren’t included with Garmin Pilot, only the basic subscription is covered. You still need to buy the Garmin Pilot IFR upgrade to get them and they aren’t part of the OnePak deal.

You could pay for the FlightCharts but I don’t think the FlightCharts display on the 430 at all. The GTN 650 is the same way.

If he puts it on the 696 is it worth the extra $151? Not sure where his is mounted but if it is on the far right in a mount, is it readable for using in flight? I like to have the charts in my scan, especially if they are georeferenced. Since you have one, you would be better at saying the value for charts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The FlightCharts aren’t included with Garmin Pilot, only the basic subscription is covered. You still need to buy the Garmin Pilot IFR upgrade to get them and they aren’t part of the OnePak deal.

You could pay for the FlightCharts but I don’t think the FlightCharts display on the 430 at all. The GTN 650 is the same way.

If he puts it on the 696 is it worth the extra $151? Not sure where his is mounted but if it is on the far right in a mount, is it readable for using in flight? I like to have the charts in my scan, especially if they are georeferenced. Since you have one, you would be better at saying the value for charts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Garmin Pilot IFR Upgrade is included with the OnePak. The basic Garmen Pilot subscription ($75) is not. I don't use Foreflight, just GP. Even though I have flitecharts on the 750 the 696 is where I look to verify fixes and crossing altitudes, etc. it is on the right side of the panel but in easy reach.    

IMG_20130531_120037_633.jpg

It’s ram mounted. I paid $500 for the Americas on the 430. It’s $200 for everything for the 696 by itself. 

Is the $700 all Jepp supplied? Looks like the $800 will be more expensive than the $700 if it is.

I have a GDL 88 ADS-B I/O so I do not get traffic or weather on the 696. The 750 and the tablet do that.

In the latter portion of the flight I turn the 696 to the wp - destination airport - and I can flop between the airport info - runways, freq, - and the approach plate. 

The Garmin Pilot IFR Upgrade is included with the OnePak. The basic Garmen Pilot subscription ($75) is not. I don't use Foreflight, just GP. Even though I have flitecharts on the 750 the 696 is where I look to verify fixes and crossing altitudes, etc. it is on the right side of the panel but in easy reach.    
IMG_20130531_120037_633.thumb.jpg.5980769af4a27a12633d67fe6ab30fa4.jpg

I had it backwards. It’s a $75 savings either way.

• Like 1

Garmin subscriptions are expensive but nothing like what they used to be. I was paying $1000+ for the GTN, $500 more for the 696 and did not use a tablet. Now it's under $799 for a lot more on 2 devices and for $75 I get full Garmin Pilot and with a FS510 the tablet and phone are linked to the GTN. 

• Like 1

Even so, what comes to $15/mo now for charts and plates is far better than having to buy and pack paper books for everything along your route, and trying to find a place that stocked your needed chart or plate book for your far away destination. It was worse than getting money on the weekends without credit cards or ATMs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Thirty years ago.... before every long XC trip I’d have to place a big order with Sporty’s for charts and books of approach plates.  They would fill a small cardboard box.  And 28 days later they were trash.  

I had 6 2" Jepp binders in addition to several binders of sectional and low enroute folding charts. A pack of updates came by mail every 2 weeks. The only one who looked forward to that was my preteen daughter who made $5 for each update package filed. 

That makes the Garmin update cost seem a little better...

• Like 2