New Side Windows Self Install

4 hours ago, Socalflyer said:

What tools would I need to remove the old insulation? Need to do this soon. 

I bought a big pack of plastic scraper blades (they basically look like utility razor blades) and burned through them like crazy. They're cheap so ditch them as soon as they start to wear. Then a pack of terry cloth rags and some acetone to cut the remaining film. MEK works great but it probably removes brain cells and lifespan faster than it removes sealant. And a big, strong fan or three to ventilate the cabin while you work.

We used old windows as template for pilot holes.  Sealant removal is by far the toughest task.  Many, many razor blades and prepare to lose your finger prints for a few days.  :)

We counter-sunk exterior screws to make them flush.  Windows needed zero trimming.  Make sure and number clips before removal. With photos so you can remember how they go in.

As stated Do NOT over-tighten screws.  

Like the idea of a co-pilot door/window vent.

Use 91% or greater isopropyl- enough solvent hydrophobicity to cut through old sealant and won’t kill you dead in the enclosed cabin.  

Most useful tool I have in my kit is a little sheet metal skin wedge.  It’s awesome for almost any project . 

On 8/26/2019 at 6:33 PM, Two Oh One said:

I bought a big pack of plastic scraper blades (they basically look like utility razor blades) and burned through them like crazy. They're cheap so ditch them as soon as they start to wear. Then a pack of terry cloth rags and some acetone to cut the remaining film. MEK works great but it probably removes brain cells and lifespan faster than it removes sealant. And a big, strong fan or three to ventilate the cabin while you work.

Thanks, I will be doing this as soon as the new windows arrive.

If there is anyone in the PNW area looking to replace their side windows. I would be more than happy to fly over and help out. It’s a job I would like to do on my plane but would like to help and see it done first. I have concerns on mixing and applying the sealant correctly. I’m good with removing interior and being a general helping hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk