Window replacement

Chris:

I have 1/4" glass all the way around.  They are all screwed in as with the originals, but the screws are one size larger given the dimpling in the skin and existing hole sizes.  We did not need to do any work to create a step in the window.  Certainly the surface facing outside is flat and original.  Obviously the window needed to be trimmed to fit.  I do not believe there was any thinning of the glass anywhere.  The work ws done by an excellent sheetmetal mechanic who had worked at Gulfstream X 20 yers.  

John Breda

• Like 1

Chris:
I have 1/4" glass all the way around.  They are all screwed in as with the originals, but the screws are one size larger given the dimpling in the skin and existing hole sizes.  We did not need to do any work to create a step in the window.  Certainly the surface facing outside is flat and original.  Obviously the window needed to be trimmed to fit.  I do not believe there was any thinning of the glass anywhere.  The work ws done by an excellent sheetmetal mechanic who had worked at Gulfstream X 20 yers.  
John Breda

Thanks John. I’ve been leaning towards the 1/4” glass and it is good to hear it is doable on an F. Do you recall the supplier of the glass?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 1/17/2019 at 10:16 PM, Marauder said:

Bob - What thickness glass did you use? When I talked to one of the vendors, they told me they could make 1/4” work by reducing the lip to a 3/16” thickness. They wanted my old glass to ensure proper fit. You need to do that?

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Thanks John. I’ve been leaning towards the 1/4” glass and it is good to hear it is doable on an F. Do you recall the supplier of the glass?

I used LP Aero glass.  I do not think the vendor matters much.  When I bought the windows, LP Aero provided a copy of the Mod Work STC.  That is probably why I used LP Aero.

Be sure to drill out the window significantly larger than the screw size you are using.  Also, check the countersink angle.  I have attached a document from Dugosh from 10 years ago describing their process.  

John Breda

Dugosh-windows.pdf

• Like 2