ECI for the prop hub

A while back someone was inquiring about locations doing the ECI on the mandated hub.  We found a company based out of Lincoln CA called Certified Testing and consulting Services.  916 434 0195 ask for Tony or Paul. They will meet you at the airport and do the inspection.  They are not AP or IA so will require you to remove the spinner as well as the balance weights if any. Also recommend you provide them model and serial numbers for your hub before you go to make certain they have the correct SB for your hubs AD.  Very nice to work with and only charged 150.00 US dollars.  They have a web site but I am a moron when it comes to attaching links and other computer type things. I just searched for non invasive inspection in California and found them.

Anyway I hope this will be helpful for any that need the inspection on their hub.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bonal said:

They are not AP or IA so will require you to remove the spinner as well as the balance weights if any.

Maybe I'm missing something but how can they sign off your logbooks and AD if not A&P/IA?

The AD requires compliance with Hartzell service bulletin HC-SB-61-269.  That SB states:

"This inspection must be accomplished by qualified personnel at an appropriately licensed propeller repair facility or certificated aircraft mechanic with an eddy current qualification in accordance with Hartzell Standard Practices Manual 202A (61-01-02)."

I don't see how the CTC folks meet either of those requirements.

15 hours ago, bonal said:

They are not AP or IA so will require you to remove the spinner as well as the balance weights if any.

I thought you had to be an A&P to R&R the spinner. When I used to have the ECI done I would fly over to Ellington Field (KEFD) and the tech would wheel his tester out on the tarmac, pull the spinner, poke around the hub, sign off and I would be on my way. He was at least an A&P. Before that, the Legend of Longview suggested I have it done at Meacham (KFTW) and they did it the same way. Fly in, test, sign-off, hand a check and fly out.

BTW, Jordan Propeller rebuilt my prop a few years ago and did a mod on the hub that eliminates the need for the AD. 

• Like 1

A while back someone was inquiring about locations doing the ECI on the mandated hub.  We found a company based out of Lincoln CA called Certified Testing and consulting Services.  916 434 0195 ask for Tony or Paul. They will meet you at the airport and do the inspection.  They are not AP or IA so will require you to remove the spinner as well as the balance weights if any. Also recommend you provide them model and serial numbers for your hub before you go to make certain they have the correct SB for your hubs AD.  Very nice to work with and only charged 150.00 US dollars.  They have a web site but I am a moron when it comes to attaching links and other computer type things. I just searched for non invasive inspection in California and found them.
Anyway I hope this will be helpful for any that need the inspection on their hub.

Wonder if Hartzell still offers the discount on the conversion. I remember back in the mid 2000s, my mechanic called and told me I should take advantage of the offer. If I recalled it was due every hundred hours and was a problem for people like me who ended up needing more than one every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CTC is certified to do this inspection and my paperwork shows the correct Hartzall SB so I am confident this is in compliance with the AD. However as pointed out about the R&R for the spinner I will bring to LASAR and have them sign off or R&R if needed.  I have observed previous inspections and believe me this one was so thoroughly done had me a bit worried we would fail. Others in the past were still using analog volt ohm meters which our technician stated was no longer approved by the FAA.  ECI for our hubs is getting harder to find and just wanted to provide information about this company. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bonal said:

ECI for our hubs is getting harder to find and just wanted to provide information about this company. 

Another reason to do the conversion. In my case, my hub was shot and Jordan suggested that I get a used hub (same ECI requirement, so they're cheap) and do the mod on it. It wound up significantly less expensive than the non-ECI hub and I haven't done an ECI in over five years.

There is actually some interesting history with this whole thing. One tech that did the ECI for me told me that he has never known an ECI check to turn up a cracked hub. He said that there was an accident in the UK where a prop was wrenched off the aircraft and they found cracks and that started the AD. The cracks were not the reason for the crash, but an outcome of it. The other tech who did it for me said he had never encountered a cracked hub.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Herman said:

More the exception than the rule ... I’m thinking? 

All of my data has been anecdotal. Of course, I am talking cracked hubs found during AD ECI inspections. Doesn't count if the crack is found post-prop strike. I wonder if Hartzell keeps track of this. If I cared more I'd ask Jordan.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, David Herman said:

I’m not sure it’s a good idea unless you already have your prop off ... but Hartzell has come out with a fix for your hub ... so you can remove the Eddy Current AD without bleeding 8-10k for a new hub/prop. They modify your existing hub to become a reservoir filled with red oil (Like a McCauley hub) ...

We had our hub modified in 2014 when we already had the prop removed for overhaul. (There was nothing wrong with the prop ... other than it had 2000 hours on it; previous owners had overhauled the engine, but not the prop.) it was Sensenich Props at KGVL (Gainesville, GA) and the cost was app $1000. 

Not the best solution for everyone ... I understand .. but it is nice any time you can get an AD removed from your aircraft. 

David,

Could please elaborate? Are there any downsides to this conversion? Was  the prop shop one to do conversion on the hub or they had to send it to Hartzell?

I presume $1000 is for conversion only and you had to pay for OH extra...

6 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

what is involved in doing the conversion to oil filled other than changing one of the grease fittings to a fitting allowing filling with oil?  are there internal changes other than seals?  

There really isn't much to the conversion other than that from what I understand. The work is in the cleaning and evaluation of the hub and the fact that you want this done by someone who really knows propellers. Best time to do it is during overhaul.

54 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

so if cleaning and inspection is it then at overhaul why extra 1000?

I believe I paid $275 for the conversion. I know that I figured two ECIs would pay it back and I have already saved seven of them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

anyone know of an honest prop shop out there that would not gouge on this procedure at overhaul?

Jordan Propeller, San Antonio. Will even pick up and deliver your prop back to you if you are on I-10 from San Antonio to New Orleans.

Totally competent and honest.

• Like 1

I just swapped an “A” hub for a “B” hub,   The “A” appears servicable, and I am open to offers if someone is interested in it and wants to deal with the AD. 

Hi Keith,Just out of curiosity where did you get the B hub? Did you pony up for the new one or found used? I just did the AD compliance and talked extensively about options with the prop shop (red dye, B hub) and financially based on how much I personally fly, I’m just sticking with the A hub. I am also an AP/IA. The shop has been around a long time and the owner did say they have never seen the Mooney props with issues, but the Beech they have found cracked and more prevalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Keith20EH said:

bought a new b hub, hence the a is for sale, probably fine, but while i was doing the overhaul, i wanted to be done with the ad.

I am curious as to what that cost. I had the same idea when Jordan Prop found that my hub was corroded and had to be junked. The price on a refurbed ECI hub + the mod was significantly less than a new B.

On 6/11/2018 at 6:31 AM, HRM said:

I believe I paid $275 for the conversion. I know that I figured two ECIs would pay it back and I have already saved seven of them.

I was quoted an extra $1500 to do the conversion on top of the tear down I was already doing. 

- robert

• Confused 1

On 6/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I was quoted an extra $1500 to do the conversion on top of the tear down I was already doing. 

- robert

Who quoted? To be fair, I may have gotten a special deal since I was the first to do it with them (Jordan Prop).

Edited by HRM
...added sentence.