Drone target?

Had a weird experience today. Flew IFR to HND (didn’t get enough of those friendly tower controllers at the PPP!) and I was flying on my clearance (PMD-BASAL-DAG-BLD) and talking to Joshua Approach. I noticed a plane exit the MOA on my ADS-B display, then go toward my plane, do a 180, and follow about 2 miles behind me. I actually saw as they were doing a 180 and it was a flight of two- one was a high wing airplane and the other looked grey and whale like- almost like a drone. They followed me for a few miles, then turned back into the MOA. Joshua Approach advised someone on flight following later that there was drone activity on the MOA so I asked if that was the drone that had been following me and the response was “contact LA center on ...”

Just seemed odd. Are they really allowed to exit the MOA and start following GA planes?

8 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Just seemed odd. Are they really allowed to exit the MOA and start following GA planes?

If the drone had a chase plane it is probably in the R&D or OT&E phase.  The drones are programed to fly a specific route if the 'pilots' lose contact with it, I would guess this is what happened.  The following 180 turn was probably after they regained control.

Relax, it's nothing new. I was followed by a Blackhawk after revising my IFR destination three times (2010?). The joys of flying south as a storm line was blowing through, staying behind it as it went along. Didn't know it was there until in the pattern to land and saw them hovering behind me and moving aside when I turned final, landing toward them.