Bad Shoulder and Johnson Bar

That's tough Larry. Advice? First, don't panic. It may well be that your orthopod guy can get you going such, that with the help of these guys who know, you will be able to adapt and do fine. But definitely, call Don Maxwell as well. He will be knowledgeable about converting to electric, it that should turn out to be necessary. It would not surprise me if the conversion could be done with a high percentage of used and available parts. Let us know what you learn about the feasibility of converting. Other folks may be very interested.

Something does not compute.  Our OP is a farmer, can farm and bring in a crop, but can't swing a J-bar.  I always thought farming was super hard work.

Whatever happens, I hope our OP is able to get to a satisfactory conclusion.

12 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Thanks Mooneymite and blue Highway!  I sent a message to Dugosh to see how expensive it would be.  That would be a wonderful solution.  If I were to start shopping for an electric gear plane I would end up with a J or K.  That’s not a bad thing except I would have twice as much money tied up in an airplane and the money tree that is growing down next to the creek is not producing the harvest that it used to.

There are quite a few C's and E's with the electric gear, so you would not necessarily be forced into the J's, or subsequent models.

Diag, keep a good attitude and work with the docs. It's amazing what physical therapy can do (been there, got the t-shirts). Some of ghe things therapists have you do don't make sense, but they work. Give it time and do what they say. Joints, however, seem to heal slowly . . . . .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Perhaps message whoever wins this auction?  I bet it's entire electric gear mechanism could be purchased on the cheap. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1964-MOONEY-M20E-SUPER-21-5455-TTSNEW-NO-AIRFRAME-DAMAGE-AT-ALL-2018-ANNUAL/142831301743?hash=item214168b46f:g:WWgAAOSw8SpbIXyT

So how can they claim "2018 annual" when the tires have rotted off the wheels?

34 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Yeah. It looks pretty rough. I wonder what it's backstory is.  

Jim

Ebay says it had a loose hose and pumped all oil overboard while enroute...on the bright side, no foggles needed to simulate IFR (out the windshield especially)

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I bet it's entire electric gear mechanism could be purchased on the cheap. 

Have you ever noticed that used parts are real cheap until someone finds out you want/need one of them?  :wacko:

• Like 1

You might want your A/P to look over your gear.  When I was rebuilding my plane, the gear was very difficult to raise.  It turns out that the compression rods that were in the plane were the wrong ones and that the large gear assist springs were not being compressed enough.  With the correct rods installed, my gear is quick and can be raised and locked easily with two fingers.

John Breda

• Like 3

On 6/15/2018 at 12:42 PM, M20F-1968 said:

You might want your A/P to look over your gear.  When I was rebuilding my plane, the gear was very difficult to raise.  It turns out that the compression rods that were in the plane were the wrong ones and that the large gear assist springs were not being compressed enough.  With the correct rods installed, my gear is quick and can be raised and locked easily with two fingers.

John Breda

John, you must have the fingers of Superman (or chuck Norris, hard to tell the difference sometimes). Mine's been through 2 annuals, so I think its OK.  The gear isn't what I'd call difficult to swing, but two fingers?

• Like 1

When I first got the airplane flying I could not get the gear up.  It required 2 people.  I too went to 2 different MSC who did not recognize the problem.  

It took reviewing the original drawings at the Mooney factory which showed that there were three different compression rod lengths and the correct one was the longest which was not what was installed.  With the new length rods, the assist springs are under more tension, and yes, I unlock the J bar, swing it towards the floor,  turn my grip around and lock the gear up with two fingers.  The whole thing takes about 4 seconds.  I do not have to do any gyrations or dips with the plane to get the gear up easily.  Just keep on flying.  I do try to get the gear up early in the climb.  

John Breda

1) getting the gear set-up properly is important...

2) practicing while the plane is on jacks can help...

3) physical therapy can be done at the local gym on regular equipment...  lots of us are there doing that.  It can take some time to get used to... you can get a real feeling for what is working under light loads for your situation...

4) know the air air speed that works best for storing the gear...

5) know the speed that works best for extending the gear...

6) Lots of spring and air pressure affect the forces on the gear...

7) The slower the airspeed is, the easier it is to put away...

8) At cruise speed, the gear drops so hard, it is known to bend the Jbar....

Good luck with all the office visits!  :)

All stuff I learned on MS... just a PP, not a physical therapist...

Best regards,

-a-

On 6/16/2018 at 8:46 PM, M20F-1968 said:

With the new length rods, the assist springs are under more tension, and yes, I unlock the J bar, swing it towards the floor,  turn my grip around and lock the gear up with two fingers.  The whole thing takes about 4 seconds.  I do not have to do any gyrations or dips with the plane to get the gear up easily.  Just keep on flying.  I do try to get the gear up early in the climb.  

John Breda

Like I said, strong fingers.  That is the landing gear you're lifting into the aircraft.

If you do a go-round and pull the nose up doing 120 mph, the gear will fight you through retraction. Don’t ask me how I know.  Doable, but it takes work........

Be smart.  Hit the FAF at 90 mph or less.   Then, when you declare the go-round, the Johnson bar is one less thing to fight with. And you can concentrate on altitude, direction, and “where the heck is that hold?”

Just sayin’  :ph34r:

Well, I just got home from the doctor after going over the MRI results with him.  It will require surgery.  It appears the there is no Johnson Bar Mooney flying in my near future.

Anyone in the market for a really nice C Model? A Anyone have a nice electric gear Mooney for sale or trade?  Looks as if I will be putt putting around in a Cessna 140 for awhile.  Another alternative is my son in laws Baron at about 36 gallons an hour.

Edited by MBDiagMan
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

It is good to have options, MBD...

Good luck on the surgery and a quick rehab.  :)

Start working on the presentation...

1) I need this because...

2) its best for the family, because...

3) This will save money, because...

One Mooney addict trying to help another....

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Well, I just got home from the doctor after going over the MRI results with him.  It will require surgery.  It appears the there is no Johnson Bar Mooney flying in my near future.

Anyone in the market for a really nice C Model? A Anyone have a nice electric gear Mooney for sale or trade?  Looks as if I will be putt putting around in a Cessna 140 for awhile.  Another alternative is my son in laws Baron at about 36 gallons an hour.

Don't be quick to give up on it. The guy who did your pre-buy and does my annuals still comments on what good condition your C was in when he did the inspection. After surgery and rehab you'll be back in the saddle again.