Have others switched to 8.33 frequency spacing?

While preparing for my first international flight (to Canada) I’ve been getting ready to file with the ICAO form, which led me to figuring out the proper communication codes for my aircraft, which led me to what I now see is a 1/1/18 requirement for 8.33 spacing on radios.  My 430W can be switched to that spacing but I’ve not yet done that.

Two questions.  First, have others done this?  Second, what, if any, drawbacks are there from doing this?

I do not think Canada has implemented 8.33 yet.  I understand Europe has so you must have 8.33 to operate in Europe.  I would guess that shortly after 2020 the FAA will implement so they can start using their datalink system.

• Like 1

So if you have a smart radio which will give you the next frequency how would this work?  I have the Avidyne 440 and when I bring up the frequency entry page it automatically brings up the next expected frequency.  In other words if the next frequency is 120.55 and you put the cursor on that option and you are in 8.33 spacing mode, will it tune to 120.55 or the 8.33 equivalent, and would it matter. 

I've got mine set to 8.33 only because I don't feel like changing the ICAO codes for that one time I might need to if I fly to Canada, and I don't want to specify a feature that I have disabled, even if I can turn it on in the air.  Most of the time I use search for nearest/flight plan lookup on my 650 anyway, so it never really impacts usage.