Can no longer turn knob on KX170 to change radio frequency

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Alex -- take it from someone who has been down the avionics repair path a few times, you could end up spending as much for a replacement new ICOM, Becker or other NavComs fixing an old KX-170B. Back before GPSs, the Bendix King 155 was going for $5000 plus installation so fixing a busted KX-170B for $300 made sense. There are a number of available new replacements for what a few repairs would cost. 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/wizard.html?sec=av&cat=comm&s=COM/Panel Transceivers Wizard&brand=becker,bendix,dynon,flightline,gar,icom,lynx,mgl,microair,ramiller,tkm,trig,valavionics,xcom&price=0-2500&35=174&36=176,178

Haha, I just have a strange attachment to the reliability of the radio for a #2 and I'm definitely a CB when it comes to avionics. I will see if I can get my buddies MX170B working though in lieu and maybe just hold off on repairing the KX175b for now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

The problem with my kx175b was just that; a broken knob. One of the little screws inside it shaved off to the point it wouldn't catch. The fix was just replacing the knob. My avionics guy took a quick look and fixed it in a minute.

However, that unit is now my backup because it turned out my buddy had an unused mx170b in his basement. I popped it in and using it indefinitely and keeping the kx175b as a backup or whenever my friend decides he wants his unit to sell or whatever.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 3:56 PM, Marauder said:

And if those don't work, see if one of us Cheap Bast$#ds still has a working KX model you could have cheap...

I have a VAL COM 760 that needs a new panel to live in.  It worked great before I took it out to make way for a GNS430W.  PM me if interested.