Small GFC 500 Update

Not much of an update, but I checked their website for certification status.  It used to say Mooney - Models to be determined.  Now it says:

Models:  M20, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, J, K, M, R, S

Still to start within the next 12 months.

• Like 3

That is pretty interesting.  I think we were expecting the long bodies to only get the GFC 600, the short bodies to get the GFC 500 and the mid-bodies to go one way or another.

Nah, in time expect to see both the GFC 500 and 600 to become available. Remember it will depend less on airframe and more on whether it's for G5's installed or G500 installed. Lots of G500's are installed in midbody and longbody Mooneys. Of course more G5's on the vintage models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did not do the Beechcraft that way. If you have an A36, you had to do the GFC 600. That may change in the future.

It does seem:

G5=GFC 500

G500=GFC 600 (or standalone)

If I ever want to upgrade the STEC 30 on my aircraft, The GFC500 wouldn't have enough new features for me to consider an upgrade. The GFC600 on the other hand is supposedly a fantastic autopilot as it seems the mission of that autopilot was to sell a GFC700 that is STC'able in older aircrafts.

If I ever want to upgrade the STEC 30 on my aircraft, The GFC500 wouldn't have enough new features for me to consider an upgrade. The GFC600 on the other hand is supposedly a fantastic autopilot as it seems the mission of that autopilot was to sell a GFC700 that is STC'able in older aircrafts.
This is incorrect...the GFC500 has a lot more functionality than the STEC30! Attitude, based, all digital, will fly a glideslope, vertical speed control, airspeed control climbs/descents, etc. It is far more sophisticated than the STEC.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does anyone know the specific differences between the two autopilots. Surely there is more than just the $13k difference in price.
The 600 has more robust servos, although I'm not sure that means anything for Mooneys. The 500 will only work with a G5 to feed it attitude info, while the 600 has it's own AHRS and can interface with the G500/600 or Aspen PFD's as far as I understand.

I bet the interface options will expand this summer...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

They did not do the Beechcraft that way. If you have an A36, you had to do the GFC 600. That may change in the future.

It does seem:

G5=GFC 500

G500=GFC 600 (or standalone)

Someone who knows more than me will correct me, but I believe the Bonanzas are on different type certificates.

5 hours ago, Niko182 said:

The GFC600 on the other hand is supposedly a fantastic autopilot as it seems the mission of that autopilot was to sell a GFC700 that is STC'able in older aircrafts.

With much better servos.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Does anyone know the specific differences between the two autopilots. Surely there is more than just the $13k difference in price.

The G600 is built like a tank.  The G500 like a Prius.  No comparison between the servos, the G600 servos are that much better.  I saw them last year at Oshkosh.  Unfortunately, Garmin has indicated no intention of certifying the GFC 600 for the Mooney even though they own one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, donkaye said:

The G600 is built like a tank.  The G500 like a Prius.  No comparison between the servos, the G600 servos are that much better.  I saw them last year at Oshkosh.  Unfortunately, Garmin has indicated no intention of certifying the GFC 600 for the Mooney even though they own one.

I heard the same - that the Gfc600 servos are more robust.  But I also have done a good bit of reading and the G500 servos are supposedly a step above anything analog currently installed in any of our legacy Mooneys, but also robust and brushless motors.

So if the Gfc600 has servos setup capable of a king air for instance I do not necessarily want that extra for a little mooney if a G500 is sufficient and already better than the KFC200 servos I have.

As far as what I read the Gfc500 feature list is fantastic and extensive beyond any pre-digital system in a Money (gfc700 not included).  I am especially impressed by the esp feature which seems like a major safety enhancement.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018 at 9:55 PM, donkaye said:

That is strange...there ovation had a G500 ( now probably a txi)and was basis of their ad campaign.And g500 app won't certify with g500 ?

3 hours ago, thinwing said:

That is strange...there ovation had a G500 ( now probably a txi)and was basis of their ad campaign.And g500 app won't certify with g500 ?

I agree that it seems odd. However, they mentioned that a single G5 can drive the 500 AP so you could mount it over on the copilot side. Curious if the other functions (heading bug, etc) could feed over from the g500 display?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ragedracer1977 said:

This stuff is killing me.  I really want (need) an AP for my C.  I've flown approaching 300 hours this year, all by hand.  I'm quickly approaching the point where I'd sell my nearly perfect plane for a beater with a good AP. 

Anyone looking at C's, E's, F's, needs to hear this. @bill98 @TXFlyer @JNDZ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

quite sad that they certified the 600 for a cessna 182 which cruises way slower, has a lower takeoff weight, and way less power, than the long body moonies, yet they couldn't certify the 600 for the Bravo, Ovation, and Eagle. Ill probably pick the stec 3100 when the autopilot gets switched out in 52Q.

On 6/23/2018 at 5:51 PM, ragedracer1977 said:

This stuff is killing me.  I really want (need) an AP for my C.  I've flown approaching 300 hours this year, all by hand.  I'm quickly approaching the point where I'd sell my nearly perfect plane for a beater with a good AP. 

It seems like several of these are on the cusp of finally coming out, so once one or two of them actually appear on the market for Mooneys I suspect the pricing will be pretty good.   I feel your pain, though...I am still AP-free myself, but fingers crossed my overhauled unit goes back in next week.   I'd rather have put the money toward one of the new ones, too, but until a few actually hit the market and get some market reviews and feedback it's just not practical.

• Like 1

Tru trak put out an email. Im surprised no one has commented on it here. 

Said they plan to have the plans out for mooney at Osh. I wonder what that means for a release date? Still several months I assume? Winter?

I was kinda sold on the Garmin. Seems like a much more capable unit so to spend an extra 5k or so seemed worth it. Who knows when it will happen though. It's still not under development. 

If tru trak starts taking orders it will be tough to wait for Garmin if they are still where they are now.

Not to mention getting rid of your vacuum pumps, those heavy gyro instruments and any future need to overhaul an AI.  Plus getting two of them gives you a back up AI I think as the HSI has AHRS capability and can double as an AI?  Or maybe I am misunderstanding.

One of our school planes has a G5.  I have only flown it a couple times and find it kind of odd, but I assume when I get used to it, it will be much nicer.