Where is the fuel level?

I’m draining the fuel out of the plane to install an EDM900 and CiES fuel senders. I’ve drained all the fuel out of the tanks through the tank sumps.

When we level the plane to fill it back up for the calibration. Will that move more fuel to the drain? And be able to remove more fuel? Or is sitting on the ground put the sumps at their very lowest?

Convention would say they are at the lowest while on the ground nose high. But I’m not sure how the inner rib is baffled, and wanted to put it on my check list if it needed to be drained.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

I’m draining the fuel out of the plane to install an EDM900 and CiES fuel senders. I’ve drained all the fuel out of the tanks through the tank sumps.

When we level the plane to fill it back up for the calibration. Will that move more fuel to the drain? And be able to remove more fuel? Or is sitting on the ground put the sumps at their very lowest?

Convention would say they are at the lowest while on the ground nose high. But I’m not sure how the inner rib is baffled, and wanted to put it on my check list if it needed to be drained.

Thanks

No, I don't think leveling it will drain more fuel out. If the sumps are completely removed, there should be very little fuel left in the wing. This conversation is bringing back flashbacks!

• Like 1

No, I don't think leveling it will drain more fuel out. If the sumps are completely removed, there should be very little fuel left in the wing. This conversation is bringing back flashbacks!

After reading your original thread I hope this doesn’t make you wake up in the middle of the night screaming... actually it’s probably more like you’re thinking to yourself “lol, he’s an Idiot”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

After reading your original thread I hope this doesn’t make you wake up in the middle of the night screaming... actually it’s probably more like you’re thinking to yourself “lol, he’s an Idiot”.

Nah! I can't say that -- simply because it implies I was a bigger idiot for going first. The CiES are great senders. Getting upgraded to CiES is not so great. Lots of new and reused 4 letter words. Especially for us earlier adopters when the Abbott & Costello "Who's on First?" stuff was going on between CiES and JPI.

• Like 1

Pull the drains out... that assures the most to come out....

pull the cabin sump drain ring... that empties the fuel lines between the tank and selector...

Expect that there is still some fuel that doesn’t want to leave through those two exits...

That unusable fuel is resident in the back of the tank nearest the fuselage....

• below the sump
  • below the fuel pick-up

If you ever have water enter the tank... this undrained amount could be water....  (odd thought that came to mind)

How dry are you trying to get it?  

Use caution...

• working with fuel.  Make sure you have the fire extinguisher ready and able... moved close, not hanging on the wall 50ft away...
  • if using a towel to dry...use a proper material that won’t leave stuff behind dissolved in the fuel...

PP thoughts only... stuff I read on MS...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

When I installed new sending units (OEM style) the plane was leveled (both fore & aft and left & right) and the fuel was drained, then 2 gallons was added per side and the electric boost pump was used to pump out the fuel leaving the unusable fuel still in the tanks. 

• Like 1

When I installed new sending units (OEM style) the plane was leveled (both fore & aft and left & right) and the fuel was drained, then 2 gallons was added per side and the electric boost pump was used to pump out the fuel leaving the unusable fuel still in the tanks. 

That was a good reminder on the unusable fuel. I think my poh says I have 2.5 gallons in each side. After you added the 2 gallons and used the fuel pump to pump out any usable how much do you think you got?

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

That was a good reminder on the unusable fuel. I think my poh says I have 2.5 gallons in each side. After you added the 2 gallons and used the fuel pump to pump out any usable how much do you think you got?

There was less than a gallon per side, seems like 3 & 3.5 qts unusable, 52 gal capacity, took 53 to fill it.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

There was less than a gallon per side, seems like 3 & 3.5 qts unusable, 52 gal capacity, took 53 to fill it.....

When my tanks were stripped and resealed, the FBO billed 52.6 or 52.8 gallons. I picked it up after sitting a couple of days; gas ran down both wings when I opened the caps first thing in the morning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

When my tanks were stripped and resealed, the FBO billed 52.6 or 52.8 gallons. I picked it up after sitting a couple of days; gas ran down both wings when I opened the caps first thing in the morning. 

I doubt I'll ever fill it that full again, generally fill to 1" below the bottom of the neck which leaves me some expansion room. I'm not one for stretching my fuel stops... 2.5~3.0 hours and I'm ready to get out 

When I bought the 252, I knew the first thing I'd be doing is installing the EDM-900. But I'm very glad I decided to pull the trigger and get the CiES senders at the same time. 

There's nothing quite like knowing exactly how much fuel and where it is... at all times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

When I bought the 252, I knew the first thing I'd be doing is installing the EDM-900. But I'm very glad I decided to pull the trigger and get the CiES senders at the same time. 

There's nothing quite like knowing exactly how much fuel and where it is... at all times.

In nearly 50 years of flying Mooneys I had never had the exact knowledge of fuel on board that I now have with the CiES and the JPI 930.

• Like 1