Seat rails

Also there should be a pin somewhere along the back of the seat rails.   Some people use a hitch pin or you could use a cotter pin.   Keep the seat from sliding all the way back should it release.

Lance, thank you for posting your experience.   Constant reminders against complacency are helpful.   Very happy you kept it under control (and that it didn't occur on a go-around).

...and could that be the OP's actual issue?   A previous owner had Lance's experience so placed a cotter pin in a position on the rails so that the seat would never slide to the farthest position?   

On my '67F,  cotter pin hole is some 2" aft of the last seat pin hole on the rail. I'm 6'4" and comfortably use the last hole for take off/landing but often slide to the stop (cotterpin) on long flights when I don't need  rudder. it gives me more room from the panel/yoke and better instrument scan.

• Like 1

Also there should be a pin somewhere along the back of the seat rails.   Some people use a hitch pin or you could use a cotter pin.   Keep the seat from sliding all the way back should it release.

I have used hitch pins in the past and every time the MSC removes them, puts them in a baggie and installs cotter pins. Are cotter pins the required hardware? They are such a PITA to remove if I want to remove the seats quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So if I use a clevis pin they won’t changed it back to a cotter pin?

10 minutes ago, Marauder said:

So if I use a clevis pin they won’t changed it back to a cotter pin?

Are you on speaking terms with your shop? Ask them! :rolleyes: 

In my case, Lynn does not r&r my seats and probably doesn't know what I'm using. 

Are you on speaking terms with your shop? Ask them! :rolleyes: 
In my case, Lynn does not r&r my seats and probably doesn't know what I'm using. 

I’ll ask them next time. I think my seats have been removed on annuals to pull the side panels to look at the structure.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I have used hitch pins in the past and every time the MSC removes them, puts them in a baggie and installs cotter pins. Are cotter pins the required hardware? They are such a PITA to remove if I want to remove the seats quickly.

What's a hitch pin???

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Z03ABzfo5oz.JPG.dc42e33dbec47d33e0b88228105431d1.JPG

Yeah, I like those, but I'm used to the ring on the end being round. And no strap to the cotter pin. They work great. Not sure what's on my seats, they don't come out very often.

Just now, Hank said:

Yeah, I like those, but I'm used to the ring on the end being round. And no strap to the cotter pin. They work great. Not sure what's on my seats, they don't come out very often.

I had these in the plane and they were removed by the MSC and replaced by cotter pins. Personally, I think they are much stronger than cotter pins but they must have a reason.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I had these in the plane and they were removed by the MSC and replaced by cotter pins. Personally, I think they are much stronger than cotter pins but they must have a reason.

The cotter pins are what the factory used and are probably specified on the TC.No matter that the hinch pins are stronger and a huge improvement...there use would require an STC and complete flight testing before Flight Standards would approve them

On 6/4/2018 at 11:52 PM, mwilton1 said:

Thanks Guys. I actually need the space between my right knee and the center console, but the rudder extensions might help a little.

I spoke to my mechanics about drilling a couple new holes. They said it would take an engineering drawing and approval....or a night in the hanger with a tape measure, drill bit and careful measuring. Looks like that might be my option. The plane is perfect other than that, so if we could get that sorted I am all set.

Thank you for the quick responses, great community here

I have a 1980 K model and know exactly what you're talking about. I'm 6'3" and need just a little more room when locked in the last holes. My right knee digs into the cabin air vent knob. I usually takeoff, fly and land with the seat in the full back position when by myself. When I have a passenger behind me it can be rather uncomfortable for my knee if I have to stay in that forward position for a long period of time.

While I had my interior and seats out this past week I took the opportunity to clean the holes int the seat rail with a screwdriver and shop vac. Although I have never had a problem as you described, I did remove a significant amount of dirt and debris and it was packed in there...40 yeas worth. 

• Like 1

I have a 1981 M20K.  I'm 5'11. I think I am pretty close to the front most hole.   If anyone has 3" extensions they are removing, please let me know.  As I have aged, I now appreciate sitting a bit further back from the panel.

So did a bit of messing around with the plane today. Changed the cam adjuster on the seat back and had a little more room for the yoke. Will have to change it in flight and see how it feels, as this was just in the hanger. Will keep you posted. 

Mike

MWilton,

Do you have the three position cams that goes from vertical to 10° Or  20° And too far back?

There is a whole thread for checking for unusual wear of the aluminum part and possibly how to find a modern replacement for the Cam...

The seat cam part was ingenious in the early 60s... but had a tendency to wear out over a few decades or so.

Just something that may be helpful for you to look into.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-