Top Gun; Maverick

• 1 year later...

I hate CGI, still looks like crap. Maybe some actual flying footage but I suspect minimal to save costs. More BS and fantasy,  but hell maybe some entertainment and if it gets younger generations to put down the X-Box and maybe actually want to fly, that's a good thing.

BTW, Kelly used to own a really cool restaurant in Key West "Kelly's", used to be the office for Pan America when they were flying clippers around the Caribbean. I used to log a lot of time there in the old days among the rest of the rogue pilots, cut throats, malcontents etc. I miss those days, had  a bar made from  the wing of a DC-9.   I believe its now called "First Flight Brewery"  catering to tourist expecting to run into Jimmy Buffett I suppose.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hank said:

Since the sequel is 34 years after the original, it better be good . . . . I'll take a large popcorn and diet coke in my center seat.  :P   And just wish for a cold beer.

I used to time my cough with the “Busch latte” can pop...Now I just wait for 120” and surround in my “cave”.  Top Gun will likely be a “Big Screen” event.  Matinee here I/we come.  CB that I am :)

“Two for the Danger Zone please”

• Like 1

I’m hoping it’s a lot of fun.  Evidently Tom Cruise wanted little CGI and like many other action movies he stars in wanted to shoot the action scenes.  This means real flying and real shots of flying in many (but likely not all) parts of this movie.

In the trailer his main ride is an F-18.  At one point you see a P-51 - my guess is that’s Tom Cruise’s P-51 (if you pause the frame the wing stripes look similar to his but many Mustangs wore invasion stripes).

Also, the last shot is an F-14.  Nostalgia shot with a flashback to flying with Goose?  The only country currently operating F-14’s is Iran . . . Plot?

-Seth

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Air pirate said:

I hate CGI, still looks like crap. Maybe some actual flying footage but I suspect minimal to save costs. More BS and fantasy,  but hell maybe some entertainment and if it gets younger generations to put down the X-Box and maybe actually want to fly, that's a good thing.

BTW, Kelly used to own a really cool restaurant in Key West "Kelly's", used to be the office for Pan America when they were flying clippers around the Caribbean. I used to log a lot of time there in the old days among the rest of the rogue pilots, cut throats, malcontents etc. I miss those days, had  a bar made from  the wing of a DC-9.   I believe its now called "First Flight Brewery"  catering to tourist expecting to run into Jimmy Buffett I suppose.

Kelly and her husband Fred were often there. I cracked one open with them a few times.

• Like 2

Say what you will about Tom Cruise's personal life weirdness, he has found a niche in playing the the rough and tumble hero in a variety of genres: Missions Impossible, War of the Worlds, The Mummy...and yes, Maverick.  The man definitely has a persona of cool and just enough "out there" to buck the system and get the job done.  It's always possible that they could screw up the sequel, but frankly I doubt it: they spent plenty of time putting it together, and I think Cruise's innate ability to piece together this kind of story will make it quite enjoyable.  And based on this trailer, I expect most of the flight sequences will be real.  If he's willing to dangle himself outside of a C5 Galaxy (going from memory there) for numerous takes, I think he'd want to do as many real cat-shots as he could!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The trailer says it will be out in 2020.  The origin release date was given as 2019- must be having script problems?    It had _better_ be at least as good a sequel as the original deserves.   The trailer sure appeals to this "almost the same age as Maverick" guy who's had to learn to roll with the punches the hard way.    I did write down the number of that truck driving school, I just lost it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred₂O said:

The trailer says it will be out in 2020.  The origin release date was given as 2019- must be having script problems?    It had _better_ be at least as good a sequel as the original deserves.   The trailer sure appeals to this "almost the same age as Maverick" guy who's had to learn to roll with the punches the hard way.    I did write down the number of that truck driving school, I just lost it.

Here's one near me. But to get the phone numbers, I had to scroll way down. Since we're all too old to go through Pensacola now, anyway . . . .

Screenshot_20190721-140350.thumb.jpg.ae01930ed877ea28839b6ce25c0a7685.jpg

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, Air pirate said:

BTW, Kelly used to own a really cool restaurant in Key West "Kelly's", used to be the office for Pan America when they were flying clippers around the Caribbean. 

2 days ago:

IMG_1148.jpeg

• Like 2