Top Gun; Maverick

I hope it's fun.   Top Gun; Maverick is to be released in 2019.  TOP GUN though unrealistic is still a fun movie.  I hope the sheer awesomeness of aviation and flight is captured in this one too.  I'll organize some sort of viewing party.

Filming started today and Tom Cruise sent this out:

Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick (2019)

If you have never watched it with the director commentary it is worth doing. You watch the whole movie with not only the director but the guys from Top Gun that assisted with the technical aspects and setting up the different sorties, they talk about the reason they did different things including the aerodynamics of the "flat spin" that killed Goose and why they used that, the guys that did the cutting and editing of the footage, etc... There are a number of cameos in the movie by the pilots that did the flying as well as Top Gun instructors that advised on the set and they point those out. I enjoyed it possibly more than just watching the movie itself.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Seth said:

TOP GUN though unrealistic is still a fun movie.

One of my favorite science fiction movies...

Not representative of reality (what from Hollywood is?) but entertaining none the less. I was in flight school when this came out, and have to admit that all of us wannabes went to see it when it opened. 1986 - was it really that long ago? I'm sure I'll be sucking in my gut and going to the new release when it opens. Probably even wear my old pair of RayBans.

After all, I LOVE science fiction.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the history channel there have been some great "Air Aces" and air battle scenes that have been recreated.  One Vietnam air battle in particular is almost exactly what occurred in the big climax battle in Top Gun (out numbered and out gunned but the superior pilot won the day) with the major real difference being the aircraft involved. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, Skates97 said:

If you have never watched it with the director commentary it is worth doing. You watch the whole movie with not only the director but the guys from Top Gun that assisted with the technical aspects and setting up the different sorties, they talk about the reason they did different things including the aerodynamics of the "flat spin" that killed Goose and why they used that, the guys that did the cutting and editing of the footage, etc... There are a number of cameos in the movie by the pilots that did the flying as well as Top Gun instructors that advised on the set and they point those out. I enjoyed it possibly more than just watching the movie itself.

I saw the commentary you are talking about.  Something I thought that was funny was the fact the directors/film makers said some movie actors are pretty arrogant and high maintenance, but actually found the Navy Pilots were actually more arrogant and difficult to work with... I'm not downing the Navy Jet Jocks who helped make the movie (my brother was actually a TopGun Instructor and I've met several TopGun pilots), so I have some slight right to be able to call it as it is.. Yes, I do love my brother, but does he sometimes have the big head..yep! Some of those guys are pretty big headed, but on the other hand they can do stuff in a jet I could only imagine, They are awesome pilots and most with highly earned educations from Annapolis. 

My brother's biggest comment about the original movie was that it was made to portray the school as a competition. Actually far from the truth, and far from the actual way TopGun works. There is no competition to be the "Best of the Best". It's training and teamwork. But of course if that's all they showed it would not have made a billion dollar movie and one of the biggest recruiting tools for the Navy.

I'll be curious how the sequel comes out. As we all agree here on MS. Good, bad or cheesy we probably all will watch it. 

-Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

So I guess not F-14s in this one.  :o:huh:

Not sure what is current now. I think when my brother retired the Super Hornet was in use. He retired quite a while ago, so not sure what the new weapon of choice is.  

18 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Awww, man! :blink: I suppose you're gonna tell me next that Santa Claus isn't real?? :D

I'm Jewish :)

But my wife is not and I now celebrate Christmas AND Easter in addition to the plethora of Jewish holidays.  I do admit I trip up about the stockings and Santa.  I nearly messed up one night two years ago at Christmas time.  I'm learning . . . and I do very much enjoy the holiday spirit.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

1 hour ago, Seth said:

I'm Jewish :)

But my wife is not and I now celebrate Christmas AND Easter in addition to the plethora of Jewish holidays.  I do admit I trip up about the stockings and Santa.  I nearly messed up one night two years ago at Christmas time.  I'm learning . . . and I do very much enjoy the holiday spirit.

-Seth

Its what you get for marrying a chikza.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TWinter said:

Not sure what is current now. I think when my brother retired the Super Hornet was in use. He retired quite a while ago, so not sure what the new weapon of choice is.  

Likely a drone flown from a dark bunker somewhere.  Sadly with each new generation of fighter plane there are even fewer fighter pilots.

Clarence

Original Director passed away.  New Director also directed one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies (also with Cruise) that had some great animated flight scenes: Oblivion.  I have seen both a bunch of times, but TG has been decades.  Probably have a need...a need for reboot.

“Take me home ya big stud or lose me forever”.  At least Goose got lucky before his luck ran out...”out to sea, in a flat spin”  Funny.  Didn’t catch that back in the day, but I was a long way away from my intro to flight...Sold me on sport bikes more than Ray Bans.  Bought a Seca Turbo shortly after seeing that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

“Take me home ya big stud or lose me forever”.  At least Goose got lucky before his luck ran out...”out to sea, in a flat spin”  Funny.  Didn’t catch that back in the day, but I was a long way away from my intro to flight...Sold me on sport bikes more than Ray Bans.  Bought a Seca Turbo shortly after seeing that.

I think I was wanting the ZX10 back then? I think it was the ZX10 during the TopGun era. I remember our local bike shop had a crotch rocket on the showroom floor and I'd stop in just drooling over it. Ended up with Katana 1100... Ahhh, to be young again :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Likely a drone flown from a dark bunker somewhere.  Sadly with each new generation of fighter plane there are even fewer fighter pilots.

Clarence

Got me thinking..If history repeats itself, when the war was over P-51 Mustangs were at near give-a-way prices as surplus. Maybe drone warfare (God forbid seriously), but thinking fun and outside the box...does this mean there might be a surplus of F18 Hornets at give-a-way prices in the future?.. :) Just thinking out-loud.

There is a movie that is roughly based on the military pilot, all based in bunkers and using drones and remote drone armor drops.

-Tom