We know it’s never over...:)

It seems like it was yesterday I took the plane apart for the adsb install. I bet I have a nice useful load right now. Started taking out some guts to install some new toys.

Installing a G5, replacing an edm 830 for a 900, 406mhz ELT, CiES fuel senders, elimination of the vacuum pump, gauges, and a lot of old wires. 8d7edcdb5ac6d71a4498f1329baab536.jpgd5bc46fc148a91f8cbb2e95765fce724.jpg698f023603895b65847b398379f03b84.jpg

Fun times ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Taking out that large cylinder thing full of gas will give you a huge increase in useful load.  Oh amd those cans of paint, lol

But that’s all my ballast.....

• Haha 1

Dude :blink:  You know there are 12-step groups for this sort of thing, right?

You have to admit you have a problem before they let you into those classes....:) If you’re board fly over and see the fun this week. I’ll buy dinner....

fc73b6cedc8bd54fe13d3d614c26e2dc.jpg

It’s not so bad when you are the one taking things apart and removing wires. So far it’s been three old wire bundles removes and countless rogue wires going no where.

10 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

fc73b6cedc8bd54fe13d3d614c26e2dc.jpg

It’s not so bad when you are the one taking things apart and removing wires. So far it’s been three old wire bundles removes and countless rogue wires going no where.

It's not so bad when you have a lot of analog stuff that doesn't talk to anything. Once the interconnectivity starts to happen, the wire nest gets pretty big.

IMG_0265.thumb.JPG.7a2d2a4556f2a9db234441174664bf85.JPG

• Like 1

It's not so bad when you have a lot of analog stuff that doesn't talk to anything. Once the interconnectivity starts to happen, the wire nest gets pretty big.
IMG_0265.thumb.JPG.7a2d2a4556f2a9db234441174664bf85.JPG

I do wish the back of my panel looked like that!!!

Well we ran into a problem today. We were planning on connecting the G5 and the elt to the IFD440. When we realized we didn’t have enough connections. Last year when we did the adsb upgrade and installed the AXP322 and Skytrax100 it used the last out pin. If I had the IFD540 there are two extra pins available in the harness.

I wish I had the time and money for the 540 now, but we are just going to add a new gps antenna for the G5 now and the 540 can use it at the next upgrade and connect the elt and G5 to it. Hopefully we will still get everything installed by Friday.

12 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Well we ran into a problem today. We were planning on connecting the G5 and the elt to the IFD440. When we realized we didn’t have enough connections. Last year when we did the adsb upgrade and installed the AXP322 and Skytrax100 it used the last out pin. If I had the IFD540 there are two extra pins available in the harness.

I wish I had the time and money for the 540 now, but we are just going to add a new gps antenna for the G5 now and the 540 can use it at the next upgrade and connect the elt and G5 to it. Hopefully we will still get everything installed by Friday.

See! More money is needed!

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 9:26 AM, Marauder said:

See! More money is needed!

I am assuming you are talking about RS232 com ports..the Ifd 440 has 4 and the 540 has 6 available.Question...what about arinc429s?

Edited by thinwing

Things are starting to finish up. I would be flying it by now had we not had an issue with the edm CiES communication. Probably due to our instillation but should be rectified on Thursday.

The G5, edm, gps antenna, elt, bose semos connector, and fuel senders are all installed. I’ve made covers for all the instruments removed and I’ll install a usb charger tomorrow.

When I was taping up the holes to make a template I showed how dumb I was when I put tape over my compass card and messed it all up.

• Like 3

Install of the new equipment is done and working properly!!!! I was supper happy when I was putting fuel back in the plane to calibrate the CiES fuel senders.

Now I have to put the interior back in and the fun part of test flying:)

• Like 2

The interior is in and got to test run the engine yesterday. After a few setting changes on the JPI the plane is buttoned up and ready for a test flight as soon as the weather allows. It’s not the best panel out there, but it’s the best my panel has been. I gained 23lbs of useful load. I hoped for a little more but after all the clean up we did future upgrades should go really fast.
4a99228f4cc37390c42ba036b0aabfd1.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

The interior is in and got to test run the engine yesterday. After a few setting changes on the JPI the plane is buttoned up and ready for a test flight as soon as the weather allows. It’s not the best panel out there, but it’s the best my panel has been. I gained 23lbs of useful load. I hoped for a little more but after all the clean up we did future upgrades should go really fast.
4a99228f4cc37390c42ba036b0aabfd1.jpg

"It's not the best panel out there" -- words I used to use. I am willing to bet, you will be back at it within in a year. I think you are a bit like me, you'll keep pecking away at it... until it is. :)

IMG_0477.thumb.jpg.e860d2b077d8ee0e509742f4e20be847.jpgIMG_0405.thumb.jpg.5498d65896db4da6efa9966d9b1dc7d4.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

39540032_2017PanelUpgrade.thumb.jpg.96c529c51721266f03925a08f12bb89b.jpg

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Looks good except you forgot to flush !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

The new panel will have the G5 and JPI flush mounted.

Are you going to make a new panel yourself? It can be done. A free copy of Solidworks with your EAA membership. Draw it in Solidworks. Make a mockup during the process in clear plexiglass. Take the Solidworks file to a metal shop with a water jet cutter. Take the cut panel to a laser engraving shop (trophies, etc.) and get the labels etched into the panel. Paint. Install it. 

Do it yourself for probably $100.

• Like 2