ADS-B Out Compliant and then some!!!

Well, I started this project off with just trying to get ADS-B compliant. Airplane is a 1963 C model.   As they worked through my airplane they found so much wrong that I am surprised I could fly IFR at all.  As you know a 1963 airplane probably has had a lot of work done to it and mine is no exception.  But as things were removed and replaced over the years, the wiring was never removed.  There were hot wires going nowhere.  Other wires that should have been removed long ago that went nowhere.  There was a static leak that I was unaware of...etc...etc...

So I took the plunge and did quite the upgrade.  Garmin G5 HSI, Garmin 530W, Garmin GTX 345 transponder, Garmin GMA 345 Audio panel, JPI EDM 900, new panel.  The only unusual thing is that the Attitude Indicator is not centered over the yoke but that was due to the small area on the left side panel that you have to work with on the C-model and the number of instruments trying to pack in there.

The panels were pre-made and available from LASAR if anyone is interested.

Here are the pre and post photos for your amusement.

Panel Pre-op.jpg

Panel Post-op.jpg

• Like 15

17 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

Panel Post-op.jpg

Greg,

This is very nice and functional panel! Congrats!

I have a couple of questions:

Do you have enough clearance to install second G5 above the HSI (what is vertical distance between center of the holes?)?

This looks like standard 8-hole LASAR panel… did you have to do any modifications to fit the instrument?

I see what you are saying regarding AI and HSI being offset to the left but don’t see as a much of an issue.

I am looking at the similar upgrade to my F but would like to fir 2.25” clock at the far left as well.

Enjoy your “new” plane.

7 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Greg,

This is very nice and functional panel! Congrats!

I have a couple of questions:

Do you have enough clearance to install second G5 above the HSI (what is vertical distance between center of the holes?)?

This looks like standard 8-hole LASAR panel… did you have to do any modifications to fit the instrument?

I see what you are saying regarding AI and HSI being offset to the left but don’t see as a much of an issue.

I am looking at the similar upgrade to my F but would like to fir 2.25” clock at the far left as well.

Enjoy your “new” plane.

The avionics shop said there should not be a problem with installing another G5 above the HSI.  I, however think they may have to cheat a little and widen the top of the hole to fit it in and the bracket around the G5 will cover up the enlarged hole.  I did not install one this go around for a couple of reasons.  One, is I now essentially have 3 Attitude indicators.  The vacuum one, the electric one and the G5 HSI can be changed back to an attitude indicator by a couple of clicks of a knob.  And the other reason is a long shot but I am hoping that Garmin gets their act together and certifies the GFC 500 digital autopilot for Mooneys next year.  If so, that will be my next install and it can run off a G5 Attitude indicator that I would install then along with the autopilot.

This is a LASAR panel.  They had them in stock and were at a great price compared to other people that wanted to design them from scratch.  Even though LASAR told me that it should not require modification, it did.  They had to shave off some from the upper left side of the left panel to get it to fit properly as well as take off some from along the bottom.  The right panel was a blank with no holes cut in from LASAR.  It also had to be modified slightly in size.

I have a back up AI on the left lower where you could fit a clock there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ohdub said:

Very nice!

Thanks.  I notice you are from Burlington, ON.  I was born in Hamilton but my Godparents lived in Burlington.  My whole family is from Canada however we moved to Texas back in 1977 when I was 8 years old. 

19 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Greg, that looks amazing.  Very clean and functional...I love it.  You will love the new functionality, and especially the EDM900.  Enjoy, and congrats on a great looking conversion!

Steve

Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, Greg Ellis said:

Thanks.  I notice you are from Burlington, ON.  I was born in Hamilton but my Godparents lived in Burlington.  My whole family is from Canada however we moved to Texas back in 1977 when I was 8 years old. 

Cool, do you ever come back this way?

Just now, ohdub said:

Cool, do you ever come back this way?

It has been years since I have been back.  My wife wants to visit some time so if we are in the area I will let you know well before hand.  Most of my family other than my immediate family (Mom, Dad, sister, brother, etc..) have passed so I don't visit family up there any more.  I do want to come see the area soon though.  I am sure it is completely different than I remember.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

So I took the plunge and did quite the upgrade.  Garmin G5 HSI, Garmin 530W, Garmin GTX 345 transponder, Garmin GMA 345 Audio panel, JPI EDM 900, new panel.

With so many newer options available today and with such an extensive and otherwise modern upgrade, why install a box that was originally introduced (in a smaller size) more than two decades ago ? 

38 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

With so many newer options available today and with such an extensive and otherwise modern upgrade, why install a box that was originally introduced (in a smaller size) more than two decades ago ? 

Affordability right now.  I got an amazing deal on the 530W (I assume that is what you are talking about) and there was a limited amount of money to spend on this project so I had to allocate it where I could and not go all in on one part of the project.  The GPS was not even going to happen at all until I got the deal I did.  The Garmin GTX 345 was satisfactory for the   ADS -B compliance but when they offered me the deal I just took it.  Tough to spend more than the plane is worth on avionics but we plan on keeping the airplane for a while to come.  Would a new GTN or Avidyne have been nice, yes of course, but it just was not in the budget at this time.

And unlike some other folks and their planes, looking at what I have been flying with for 12 years, a GPS box from 20 years ago is like brand new to me. :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

Affordability right now.  I got an amazing deal on the 530W (I assume that is what you are talking about) and there was a limited amount of money to spend on this project so I had to allocate it where I could and not go all in on one part of the project.  The GPS was not even going to happen at all until I got the deal I did.  The Garmin GTX 345 was satisfactory for the   ADS -B compliance but when they offered me the deal I just took it.  Tough to spend more than the plane is worth on avionics but we plan on keeping the airplane for a while to come.  Would a new GTN or Avidyne have been nice, yes of course, but it just was not in the budget at this time.

And unlike some other folks and their planes, looking at what I have been flying with for 12 years, a GPS box from 20 years ago is like brand new to me. :)

Writing the first check is the hardest thing to do. After that, you just stop counting the number of checks and how many zeros they contain and just enjoy the toys. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2018 at 6:22 AM, Greg Ellis said:

The avionics shop said there should not be a problem with installing another G5 above the HSI.  I, however think they may have to cheat a little and widen the top of the hole to fit it in and the bracket around the G5 will cover up the enlarged hole.  I did not install one this go around for a couple of reasons.  One, is I now essentially have 3 Attitude indicators.  The vacuum one, the electric one and the G5 HSI can be changed back to an attitude indicator by a couple of clicks of a knob.  And the other reason is a long shot but I am hoping that Garmin gets their act together and certifies the GFC 500 digital autopilot for Mooneys next year.  If so, that will be my next install and it can run off a G5 Attitude indicator that I would install then along with the autopilot.

This is a LASAR panel.  They had them in stock and were at a great price compared to other people that wanted to design them from scratch.  Even though LASAR told me that it should not require modification, it did.  They had to shave off some from the upper left side of the left panel to get it to fit properly as well as take off some from along the bottom.  The right panel was a blank with no holes cut in from LASAR.  It also had to be modified slightly in size.

I have a back up AI on the left lower where you could fit a clock there.

Greg,

Did the same shop do the panel, HSI and EDM900?  Can you tell me what shop did the work, how long it took and the install price.  you can PM me if you dont that information to be public. I am located west of Houston. Thanks  Walt 

On 6/5/2018 at 9:47 AM, Greg Ellis said:

I think you did real good!  Even with the 530W.  The screen is plenty big to use for weather and traffic, you got lpv approaches, and it’s super easy swap to the Avidyne when you’re ready.  The gtx345 is great too with Bluetooth to your favorite flight apps.  Plus backup AHRS ADI... which for you is #4 so maybe a little overkill.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:41 PM, wburger1 said:

Greg,

Did the same shop do the panel, HSI and EDM900?  Can you tell me what shop did the work, how long it took and the install price.  you can PM me if you dont that information to be public. I am located west of Houston. Thanks  Walt 

All of the work was done at Fort Worth Spinks by Cam Aircraft.  Cliff Millican is the owner.  I can look up the other info for you.  They are not cheap.  In fact probably very expensive when compared to others.  But the work was done well, I think.  I was kept in the loop the whole time.  They cleaned up a bunch of very old wiring.  Some were live wires leading no where.  So I have all new wiring along with the new panel.  They assigned one guy to my plane except for the install of the EDM sensors etc where the Head A&P/IA did that work.  I will PM you with the specifics in the next couple of days.  Currently I am away from that information.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, Ragsf15e said:

I think you did real good!  Even with the 530W.  The screen is plenty big to use for weather and traffic, you got lpv approaches, and it’s super easy swap to the Avidyne when you’re ready.  The gtx345 is great too with Bluetooth to your favorite flight apps.  Plus backup AHRS ADI... which for you is #4 so maybe a little overkill.

Thanks.  I am enjoying the panel.  LPV approaches are great.  Now just need an autopilot.