Tank seal vs Bladder

wcb

• 3 months later...

One consideration I haven't seen is for those of us who tie down instead of hangar.  Is taking the sun beating on the wing a consderation?  I ask becuase my tanks are starting to seep when filled.  We normally keep them around 18-20 gallons each side and they only seep when filled above this point.  Makes me wonder if the fuel itself helps preserve the sealant.  Also makes me wonder if I do a reseal, should I keep the tanks full instead of half full?

25 minutes ago, bob865 said:

One consideration I haven't seen is for those of us who tie down instead of hangar.  Is taking the sun beating on the wing a consderation?  I ask becuase my tanks are starting to seep when filled.  We normally keep them around 18-20 gallons each side and they only seep when filled above this point.  Makes me wonder if the fuel itself helps preserve the sealant.  Also makes me wonder if I do a reseal, should I keep the tanks full instead of half full?

Sitting outside with no fuel on part of the sealant can't be good. I would think keeping them full would be better. The extra fuel and weight will probably take some toll on the shock discs but a lot more people are qualified to replace those than re-seal the tanks.

I still think if a hangar's available, in the long run, it doesn't cost much more than leaving it outside. The paint, interior, avionics and probably tank sealant all last longer when not subjected to as much heat and UV. Plus the airplane's overall value is affected. It's even safer since there's a lot less chance of water getting in the fuel, nests in the airframe, engine compartment, vandalism, theft, etc.

3 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I still think if a hangar's available, in the long run, it doesn't cost much more than leaving it outside. The paint, interior, avionics and probably tank sealant all last longer when not subjected to as much heat and UV. Plus the airplane's overall value is affected. It's even safer since there's a lot less chance of water getting in the fuel, nests in the airframe, engine compartment, vandalism, theft, etc.

No need to sell me on the perks of a hangar.  When one's not available, one's not available.  Last I checked, the airport has a waiting list measured in years.  If I relocate airports to one with a hangar and have to drive an hour to my plane, it kinda defeats the point.  I love to fly and own my plane but, at some point, convenience plays a factor too.  I owned a boat when I was 20 minutes away from the lake.  When I moved over an hour away, the boat was sold.

With that said, my question relates to the decision of bladders vs. reseal.  Does one present a better more durable option for a plane that lives outside?  And are there any preventative measures that can be taken to extend the life or either?

1 minute ago, bob865 said:

With that said, my question relates to the decision of bladders vs. reseal.  Does one present a better more durable option for a plane that lives outside?  And are there any preventative measures that can be taken to extend the life or either?

Here we go again . . . if you a search under "bladders" you'll have weeks worth of reading. :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Here we go again . . . if you a search under "bladders" you'll have weeks worth of reading. :)

And I've done that also.  I started there, and that's how I found this thread that hadn't been commented on in 4 months.  There are plenty of comments on the plusses and minuses of the bladder setup, but I did not find any comments on one being better in the sun vs the other.  Thus my question.  And with the thread title, "Tank seal vs Bladder" it seemed like the logical place to ask the question.  If I missed that discussion, please link me to the thread/comment where living in the sun is covered.  I would appreciate the read, that's why I asked in the first place.  ;) 

7 minutes ago, bob865 said:

And I've done that also.  I started there, and that's how I found this thread that hadn't been commented on in 4 months.  There are plenty of comments on the plusses and minuses of the bladder setup, but I did not find any comments on one being better in the sun vs the other.  Thus my question.  And with the thread title, "Tank seal vs Bladder" it seemed like the logical place to ask the question.  If I missed that discussion, please link me to the thread/comment where living in the sun is covered.  I would appreciate the read, that's why I asked in the first place.  ;) 

Have no desire to read all of those threads to find out, but I'll make a prediction: People with bladders will think theirs is better in the sun, people with tanks will think theirs is better in the sun. :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LANCECASPER said:

Have no desire to read ll of those threads to find out, but I'll make a prediction: People with bladders will think theirs is better in the sun, people with tanks will think theirs is better in the sun. :)

Touche'  LOL :lol:

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

I think you'll get a bunch of anecdotal evidence.  I don't think anyone can say for sure which is better.  I have bladders, and I'm a believer in them, but no way I'm going to say they hold up better to the elements than a new strip/reseal.  I've read many times to keep tanks full, especially if outside.  It makes since b/c the fuel could act as a heat sink, but whether it works or not could be an OWT.

• Like 2