Nosewheel tube valve?

jaylw314

Hi all--

Getting close to time to order another nosewheel tire and tube.  I know the nosewheel on all M20's is supposed to be 5.00x5 size.  Wierdly, I noticed that my current tube has a straight valve, but all the 5.00x5 tubes I looked at at Aircraft Spruce are 90deg bent valves.

Does anyone else have a straight valve on their nosewheel?  Is there any issue with installing a bent valve tube?

Mine have always been straight valve stems on all wheels.  I would think a 90 deg valve may take two hands to hold the stem and apply the gauge or air source, and with straight valve stem you can easily do with one hand.  I would prefer a straight stem for that reason, but not a big deal.

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Mine will only work with a bent valve.

The  mains have an angled hole that accommodates a straight valve. The nose wheel has a groumet hole parallel with the axel that requires a bent valve.

Ooooh, I get it now!  You're right, I do have a bent valve, then, thanks!

2 hours ago, Bartman said:

Ahhh so it is a 90 deg valve stem with the angle behind the metal, but the part you see is sticking straight out.

That was my reaction too! B)

2 hours ago, Bartman said:

Ahhh so it is a 90 deg valve stem with the angle behind the metal, but the part you see is sticking straight out.

Yes, the bend goes inside.

You guys caught me at a good time. the nose wheel was just about to go back on. It is back on now. Its Miller time...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My 1979 231 had a nose wheel flat on landing yesterday at T74 in Taylor Texas. The locals were super helpful getting the plane safely to the ramp then coming up with a new tube and tire! A local Mooney owner and fellow gyro pilot had a jack and helped change the tire. The only issue is that the 90 degree air valve stem goes thru an elastic grommet on the wheel, and that grommet was lost. I found one that “sort of fit” and flew the plane home. Now I need to get the correct grommet with the correct size inside diameter, outside diameter, and groove width? Does anyone know what the dimensions are? Ray

The correct elastic grommet for the valve stem on the 5.00-5 wheel is part number 217-00100. It cost about $12 on Aircraft Spruce. The staff at Spruce kept trying to tell me the part was $93 and was 05-14654. Several local mechanics advised me to get 217-00100, and Dugosh had one. When the wheel was removed and disassembled, it was clear that 217-00100 was the correct part. This is for the nose wheel only. The mains are different. Ray

• Like 2

The best way to ensure the correct information is to go to the source. Parker (manufacturer of Cleveland wheels and brakes) has an online parts catalog for aircraft make and model.

http://corpappstest.parker.com/corpapps/EConfigurator/Home?mfgDivision=687454&option=99&series=ONLINE PRODUCT CATALOG

There you will find:

image.thumb.png.47afa3edaf023d06af43866b7314864e.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...