Bravo TIO-540 oil consumption

PDXBravo

39 minutes ago, PDXBravo said:

Are you keeping track of your engine’s oil consumption? How many hours between quarts? Anything you’ve found which significantly affects consumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is approximately 1.5 to 2 quarts per 25 hours between oil changes with 9 quarts put in at oil  change.

• Like 1

Mine's a little less than Don's, 1 quart at 12-15 hours between oil changes at 25 hours. My engine is about 800 SMOH, 200 STOH. TOH was done by previous owner to flow balance cylinders. I service with 8 quarts of Phillips X/C 20/50 and a 16 oz bottle of Camguard at oil change.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Junkman said:

Mine's a little less than Don's, 1 quart at 12-15 hours between oil changes at 25 hours. My engine is about 800 SMOH, 200 STOH. TOH was done by previous owner to flow balance cylinders. I service with 8 quarts of Phillips X/C 20/50 and a 16 oz bottle of Camguard at oil change.

Cheers,
Rick

I will echo Rick's consumption, 613 SNEW

The first 1200 hrs on the engine it transferred 1 qt/12hrs to the belly.  I had to replace the crankshaft at 1200 due to Textron's inexcusable screwup.  The shop that did the overhaul did not get the oil control rings tensioned right so I now transfer 1 qt/6hrs to the belly.  I am told by several shops that oil control is a problem with this cylinder.

Interesting that some of you are using the Philips XC 20/50.  IIRC, Lycoming insists that their special "additive" (LW16702) must be in the oil used in the Bravo engine...and I thought that the Philips oil was lacking it so therefore was not an acceptable oil for our TIO540s...??

So as I wrote this..I did a Google search and found the following:

"The use of LW-16702 is required in certain engine models. These models are the 0-320-H, O-360-E, LO-360-E, TO-360-E, LTO- 360-E, TIO and TIGO-541. "  This is straight from Lycoming at https://www.lycoming.com/content/oil-and-your-engine.

So I guess we can use the Philips oil...wow...that would save about $30/oil change.

On my current trip, left Wilm De with 40 minutes recent oil change, decided to put in a quart in Las Vegas, stops n Tunica and Albuquerque. Almost used 1 quart after 12 hours, mine seems to mirror Don’s. Will have about 25 hours on the trip, usage with 5 hours left should approximate 2 hours in 25, but I’ll change the oil instead of putting in the last quart. Flying locally with shorter flights should approximate a quart every 8-10 hours.

I use Shell multi since new with Camguard.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:39 PM, carqwik said:

Interesting that some of you are using the Philips XC 20/50.  IIRC, Lycoming insists that their special "additive" (LW16702) must be in the oil used in the Bravo engine...and I thought that the Philips oil was lacking it so therefore was not an acceptable oil for our TIO540s...??

So as I wrote this..I did a Google search and found the following:

"The use of LW-16702 is required in certain engine models. These models are the 0-320-H, O-360-E, LO-360-E, TO-360-E, LTO- 360-E, TIO and TIGO-541. "  This is straight from Lycoming at https://www.lycoming.com/content/oil-and-your-engine.

So I guess we can use the Philips oil...wow...that would save about $30/oil change.

Assuming arguendo that there is any valid need for the Lycoming additive, rather than  it being a way of pushing their own proprietary product, I am assuming that the need is satisfied by the use of camguard. 

That TPP additive is only required in the 76 series engines by A.D.The Aeroshell plus oil does not have enough of it to meet the required amount either.

Edited by jetdriven

• 3 months later...

My oil has been sitting right around 8 qts or so..what do you all normally keep it at? 9? 10?  What is the recommended oil?  The previous owner had Shell W100 and W100Plus in the baggage compartment.  Just trying to figure out what level/type is best for the Bravo.

18 hours ago, daytonabch04 said:

My oil has been sitting right around 8 qts or so..what do you all normally keep it at? 9? 10?  What is the recommended oil?  The previous owner had Shell W100 and W100Plus in the baggage compartment.  Just trying to figure out what level/type is best for the Bravo.

No less than 8 quarts not more than 9 quarts.  Regarding the oil, a straight oil has been recommended to me and I have used Phillips XC 20W50 for the ownership of my plane which as has been 26 years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, carqwik said:

Would there be any harm in switching to the Phillips XC20W-50 plus Camguard after 20 years of continuous use of Aeroshell 15W-50?

I asked the same thing and basically the answers I got was it would be perfectly fine to switch. I have friends that have been using Phillips for a long time with no issues. The previous owners of my plane used the 15w 50 and I decided to just keep using the same oil that has been used previously. There was much debate on both sides but I think it comes down to preference.

• 4 weeks later...

I always used Mobil Elite oil. This produced 1quart added at about 12 hrs then ol change at 25 hrs.

I changed to Shell 100 and the oil consumption jumped to a quart at 6 -8 hrs. That was a surprise.

My supplier finally was able to purchase Mobil Elite again so I bought 60 quarts.

Now my consumption has settled back to 1 quart at 12 hours unless I’m doing 1 1/2 hr flights to the high teens and I’m adding 2 quarts at 12 hours. So 35 24 with 4 bodies and bags to flight levels does increase the high horsepower output times and consequently higher oil consumption.

I would probably be better off not starting at 10 quarts from oil change but have always preferred to have the increased volume available for cooling.

Steve,

Can you add some data to your avatar?

Your experiences are interesting but seem a bit foreign to me...

i would really enjoy to know where your part of the Mooney world is located?

Wine and sheep in the pirep...? :)

Go ahead and add a pic.

Best regards,

-a-

I tend to fill to 8 and add at 7 - my last engine was getting tired and consumption got to about 1 quart after the first 10 hours, and then 1 quart after 5 hours just before oil change. That was with 4 original cylinders with 2200+ hours on them. New engine is just about run in now, but a few leaks have distorted the recent figures, so will hopefully get a better trend after the next (imminent) oil change has done the hours. Remember that zero or very low consumption is not necessarily a good thing - check Lie #5