Lost a Friend

Need to vent. Yesterday, my good friend Jon Dollard, along with three passengers died in a plane crash. Jon was a very experienced pilot for East Hampton Airlines. EHA is a charter company. Yesterday, He was flying the owner, the owners wife and their grandchild in the Navajo when it crashed into the Atlantic just offshore. Judging from where the wreckage was found, it looks as though they were on the final approach for the RNAV28 approach into HTO.

My wife & I were in the backyard under a blue sky, it was very warm and humid with haze and scud. We heard a series of thunderclaps, Is that Thunder?? When I looked at my weather app, you could see a lot of large thunderstorms developing all around us. It was happening fast.

Jon & I flew many time together. In my Mooney, as well as the company Bonanza, the Navajo, and the Falcon 900. I posted here on MS a video of landing the Falcon, Jon is the copilot on that flight.

Jon took his profession seriously, he loved to recite the FARs, the more obscure, the better. He believed in checklists(checklist, checklist, checklist).

He had a wonderful sense of humor, he would tell a joke to a rock, Andrea & I enjoyed having him and his wife Ana over for dinner. The conversation never slowed.

After the accident, Andrea reminded me that I told her many times that I could never do what Jon did for a living. He wasn't the kind of guy to take chances, but if you never  flew on anything but 'perfect' days, you couldn't be a charter pilot out here. We have a lot of low visibility, low ceilings and fog days.

I have to go now, but I wanted to get this out. Ill finish this later.

• Sad 1

Need to vent. Yesterday, my good friend Jon Dollard, along with three passengers died in a plane crash. Jon was a very experienced pilot for East Hampton Airlines. EHA is a charter company. Yesterday, He was flying the owner, the owners wife and their grandchild in the Navajo when it crashed into the Atlantic just offshore. Judging from where the wreckage was found, it looks as though they were on the final approach for the RNAV28 approach into HTO.
My wife & I were in the backyard under a blue sky, it was very warm and humid with haze and scud. We heard a series of thunderclaps, Is that Thunder?? When I looked at my weather app, you could see a lot of large thunderstorms developing all around us. It was happening fast.
Jon & I flew many time together. In my Mooney, as well as the company Bonanza, the Navajo, and the Falcon 900. I posted here on MS a video of landing the Falcon, Jon is the copilot on that flight.
Jon took his profession seriously, he loved to recite the FARs, the more obscure, the better. He believed in checklists(checklist, checklist, checklist).
He had a wonderful sense of humor, he would tell a joke to a rock, Andrea & I enjoyed having him and his wife Ana over for dinner. The conversation never slowed.
After the accident, Andrea reminded me that I told her many times that I could never do what Jon did for a living. He wasn't the kind of guy to take chances, but if you never  flew on anything but 'perfect' days, you couldn't be a charter pilot out here. We have a lot of low visibility, low ceilings and fog days.
I have to go now, but I wanted to get this out. Ill finish this later.

I’m so sorry for your loss. He sounds like an amazing guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your “vent” was a wonderful “tribute” to your friend.  Vent received.  Vent appreciated.  I look forward to the conclusion.  Another “Good Guy” that flys will be missed by those that loved him.  Always hardest when young are lost...

Truth be told I should have flown last weekend, but it was hot/humid and weather had convective predictions for going up and return.  Didn’t pan out on poor weather.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Sorry for the OP's loss.  Then again, I just lost a really good friend to Cancer.  Same age as me, at home surrounded by her friends and family.  Phooey, I'd rather go out in a Thunderstorm over the Atlantic.

I understand what you’re saying and I happen to agree. Just sucks when the good people are taken away. Benny Krupinski & his wife Bonnie where members of the good people group and also great friends to our airport. They will be missed.