M20E STARTER

My Prestolite starter on my M20E has given up the ghost.  I'm looking to replace it with a Skytec Starter.  I'm wondering which model most have gone with on an E.  I know some have the PM model and I'm wondering if anyone has used the NL model.  Also, if any modification had to be made to fit either unit. (such as ram air or other linkages). 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Bart Chilcott
N706WC
Wichita, Kansas

Great specific question...

How much different is the CR and displacement O360 and IO360? Or the number of teeth on the starter ring?

Or IO360s mounted on an M20J or M20F?

Expanding on that...

i searched on Skytech and M20E... There is some, but not a lot of specific details from M20E owners...

Standby for MS to supply some more specific answers...

It is definitely important for the whole project to know the fit AND function will both work...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, I’m do know I need 149 tooth.  I’m just wondering if anyone else has used the NL on the E model.  I actually need all the weight upfront I can get.  I’m aft heavy do to TCAS electronics in the tail.  No matter which starter I choose. I’ll have to add weight to offset the lighter starter.  

I replaced my original Prestolite starter with a Skyteck 149NL a few years back and it was almost a perfect fit and lighter.

It is powerful and, along with my Concorde RG35AXC battery,  it really improves cold weather starts and hot starts,. Just don't go with the 149LS which isn't powerful enough.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Bart, I just replaced a working SkyTec 149-12PM on my '66E. It was working fine but it didn't fit with my new SabreCowl.  My new one is a 149 NL. 

If you can use the old one let me know. It is 20 years old.

Thank you Bob.  I appreciate that.  I think I’ll just go new though. How do you like the  cranking torque and speed out of the NL?  

2 hours ago, drapo said:

I replaced my original Prestolite starter with a Skyteck 149NL a few years back and it was almost a perfect fit and lighter.

It is powerful and, along with my Concorde RG35AXC battery,  it really improves cold weather starts and hot starts,. Just don't go with the 149LS which isn't powerful enough.

Thank you Drapo, that convinces me to go with the NL! 

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Thank you Bob.  I appreciate that.  I think I’ll just go new though. How do you like the  cranking torque and speed out of the NL?  

I think the "NL" suffix is just the position of the solenoid - in line or left or right. Cranking is fine, probably the same as the old one.

I recently had my starter fail on the road.  Friend flew over with a Sky-Tec 149-12HT.  We had it changed in two hours, but the baffles were “adjusted” to fit.  Back at the hangar, doing it right took a little more time.  Long story short, expect to do baffle work for this particular model....but it was worth it.  Engine now cranks and starts noticeably faster.  The HT stands for high torque.  Can’t speak for the normal version, but this seems like it was worth the extra money.  As a side note, this starter is not listed for the E, but it is listed for the engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Thank you Drapo, that convinces me to go with the NL! 

The NL version should require no mods to your baffles, and will crank your engine very well.

Clarence 

7 hours ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Yes, I’m do know I need 149 tooth.  I’m just wondering if anyone else has used the NL on the E model.  I actually need all the weight upfront I can get.  I’m aft heavy do to TCAS electronics in the tail.  No matter which starter I choose. I’ll have to add weight to offset the lighter starter.  

Bart, as I mentioned above, I am using a 149 NL on my E. 

• Like 1

I have the LS on mine currently. No issues. I’ve had issues with the back half motor of the NLs come loose. I believe they changed the attachment hardware by now and it’s not an issue. My LS came from another project so it was a deal. If I was buying new I’d go NL. Some of the baffling will change but it’s not major, anyone attempting to install a starter can handle the baffling. Shoot the cowl takes more work than the starter change. If a deal or cost was an issue I wouldn’t be afraid of an LS. 

-Matt

• Like 1

I would point out that we had to cut/grind off an unneeded mounting boss on the new starter for clearance from the fuel servo or the new intake air duct. Your A&P should not be surprised, these starters fit various planes with different mounting requirements. 

• Like 1

Just put the 149nl on my plane yesterday.  During annual found the solenoid cap on the old one was loose.  Starter was still working fine  but didn't want to get stranded somewhere.  The 149nl is easier to bolt up then the old one as a bonus.

• Like 1

Can someone comment on how the SkyTek 149-12PM starter fits on an IO-360A-A (E or F model).  

The 149-12NL fits and is the one I had originally but we needed to cut cack some of the baffling to make it fit.  Is their enough room with the IO-360 for the 149-12PM starter with the solenoid on the other side?  Does the solenoid run into to alternator with using the PM version?

John Breda

1 hour ago, M20F-1968 said:

Can someone comment on how the SkyTek 149-12PM starter fits on an IO-360A-A (E or F model).  

The 149-12NL fits and is the one I had originally but we needed to cut cack some of the baffling to make it fit.  Is their enough room with the IO-360 for the 149-12PM starter with the solenoid on the other side?  Does the solenoid run into to alternator with using the PM version?

John Breda

John, as I reported above I had a 149PM on my E (IO360A1A) and now have a 149NL. Neither one had a problem with the Plane Power Alternator or the fuel injection servo. We switched because the PM interfered with the new air duct from SabreCowl that relocated the air filter (inside, like a J) and eliminated the ram air. We did grind off a boss/flange on the new starter to clear something, I don't recall if it was the alternator/its bracket or the duct.

All of those extra tabs on the starter can be ground off if you are not using them. They are only there to support other installations. Skytec performed those services back in the day for some of their sponsored airshow friends. 

-Matt

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The 149-12HT on my '66 E failed last week.  It was fitted in 2014 under warranty after the previous 149-12HT failed.  That failure led to weeks of downtime as I had to ship the starter to Skytec from France, wait for them to determine that it was a failure that was covered under warranty, then wait for a new motor to be shipped and fitted.  I'm out of warranty this time, and very reluctant to fit another flimsy lightweight starter.

Any suggestions for a good, reliable starter?  

7 minutes ago, adrian said:

The 149-12HT on my '66 E failed last week.  It was fitted in 2014 under warranty after the previous 149-12HT failed.  That failure led to weeks of downtime as I had to ship the starter to Skytec from France, wait for them to determine that it was a failure that was covered under warranty, then wait for a new motor to be shipped and fitted.  I'm out of warranty this time, and very reluctant to fit another flimsy lightweight starter.

Any suggestions for a good, reliable starter?  

I've had mine on my J for 10 years or so and It has been reliable. It failed once and I called Skytec and they let me buy a new starter and they shipped it out immediately. I shipped the defective starter back and a few days later they credited me the full price of the starter. I thought that was pretty good customer service. I knew the starter was defective when I sent it back so I didn't really need them to evaluate it. BTW I think it was out of warrantee when this happened and they replaced it anyway. 

Thanks Rich.  Sorry to hear that your Skytec starter also failed.  I agree that their customer service was good - they were very helpful about the exchange under warranty last time mine failed - but they do seem to fail too frequently.  

Hey Adrian! (Like Seeing an old friend fly in...) :)

I’m not real familiar with the skytech line of starters...

But, they seem to have light and heavy duty...

I have seen a couple of discussions around here of what people are using.

Check to see if you have the light one.

You may want to see if the heavy duty one isn’t too heavy for your plane.

As usual, just PP thinking, not a mechanic.

How many hours did you get out of this latest starter?

Nice to see you stop in.

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 months later...