Not so friendly sky

On my way from KJKA to KDYR. Some pretty serious storms brewing. Fortunately, I was able to divert around them all. "One guy on the radio told ATC, I just want to get this thing on the ground as soon as possible".. I have XM weather and ADSB. I noticed the ADSB is getting better. It was running pretty accurate with the XM on my 796 portable.

-Tom

T strorm 2.jpg

T storm 1.jpg

T storm 3.jpg

• Like 4

Those are the fun kind of showers...when there's no convection and you can see through to the other side, just take the opportunity to give your plane a nice bath!

And yes, I'm kidding...mostly!

• Like 2

Just now, Jeff_S said:

Those are the fun kind of showers...when there's no convection and you can see through to the other side, just take the opportunity to give your plane a nice bath!

And yes, I'm kidding...mostly!

I remember one of those flights back in 1990. Took my mother-in-law in a rented Cessna through the "plane wash". Unfortunately the vent on her side of the plane let a shower in. To this day I still get reminded of "the flight". I really wasn't trying to drown her, honest. ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Nice pics, TW!

Now picture that imbedded in IMC...

Good time to test your strike finder for accuracy when you can see the storm...

The strike finder might be able to pick up pre-strike electrical activity... if no lightning is being seen...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Did a plane wash once or twice knowing it was not convective. Even then, it was loud enough that I could barely hear air-traffic control over all the rain with the volume turned up. Now I do most of my washing with the hose. 

• Like 1

I ran mine through the wash a few years ago. I was over Salisbury heading home from Myrtle Beach with a friend. It was a localized downpour which lasted about 10 minutes or so. No convection just lots of water. My buddy was not thrilled but handled it well when I tried to tell him that he forgot to throw some soap on the plane. Especially when ATC was announcing traffic on the other side, a couple of F16’s, as if we could see anything! When I told them I’m in the washing machine and can’t see anything they offered vectors but by that time it was almost over. 

I didn't look at the weather in the gulf states yesterday.  Was it moisture and afternoon airmass thunderstorms perhaps leftover from TS Alberto and easy to divert around or was it widespread ?  In the Ohio and Tennessee valley we have had some powerful storms this week.

21 hours ago, Bartman said:

I didn't look at the weather in the gulf states yesterday.  Was it moisture and afternoon airmass thunderstorms perhaps leftover from TS Alberto and easy to divert around or was it widespread ?  In the Ohio and Tennessee valley we have had some powerful storms this week.

The pilots that were coming in from the east were the ones dealing with the heavy movement that was left over the tropical storms. They were still active and had lots of energy with lightening etc. My pictures were taken from some pop ups to my west as I was headed back from Gulf Shores to west Tennessee. As many have said, they were plane washes. The storms I could see to the east on my way down were the real deal and no joke to play with. 

-Tom