What's better than an airplane in the hangar?

One of the problems with winches is that they are no good for pulling the plane out of the hangar. When you taxi the plane in front of the hangar you may need to pull the plane forward a couple of times to line up. I use a Robotow that works very well.

José

Robotow 2.JPG

• Like 2

A professionally washed and polished airplane in the hangar! The owner assist versions! I’d need to watch every move very closely and practice a lot because I’m a slow learner!

D8ADB292-C9F2-49BB-8800-D17AA6DA5570.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Piloto said:

One of the problems with winches is that they are no good for pulling the plane out of the hangar. When you taxi the plane in front of the hangar you may need to pull the plane forward a couple of times to line up. I use a Robotow that works very well.

Personally, I have no problem pulling my E out of the hangar, it's pushing it back in after the flying when I'm tired, etc. I went and bought a deckless tractor and that turned out to be more hassle than it is worth. I had a HF winch that I bought for about $50 on sale and finally decided to try it out. I was able to strap it to the hangar superstructure with SS straps and all I need do is push the plane to where the tail is just in. The cable reaches fine and then I just fire it up and it pulls my E right in, perfectly aligned. The latter is very important given the amount of stuff in my hangar.

3 hours ago, HRM said:

Personally, I have no problem pulling my E out of the hangar, it's pushing it back in after the flying when I'm tired, etc. I went and bought a deckless tractor and that turned out to be more hassle than it is worth. I had a HF winch that I bought for about $50 on sale and finally decided to try it out. I was able to strap it to the hangar superstructure with SS straps and all I need do is push the plane to where the tail is just in. The cable reaches fine and then I just fire it up and it pulls my E right in, perfectly aligned. The latter is very important given the amount of stuff in my hangar.

With a 100 gallons of AVGAS trying to pull the plane by hand over the door tracks to the taxiway can be challenging. On the later models like the M20M/M20R with 130 gallons is  impossible to tow by hand over the door tracks 

Be careful when pulling with the winch into the hangar. It is a good idea to place chucks on the ground to stop the plane momentum before the wings hit the hangar. 

José

1 minute ago, Piloto said:

With a 100 gallons of AVGAS trying to pull the plane by hand over the door tracks to the taxiway can be challenging. On the later models like the M20M/M20R with 130 gallons is  impossible to tow by hand over the door tracks 

Be careful when pulling with the winch into the hangar. It is a good idea to place chucks on the ground to stop the plane momentum before the wings hit the hangar. 

José

Well, I have said that when I can't pull her out of the hangar then it's time to fold my wings.

Pushing back in is an entirely different matter. First, I do not have door tracks, but a slight incline in the tarmac and then the bump between the asphalt and the concrete floor. The problem is staying aligned with the center of the hangar. With my winch it automatically centers the plane and because I am at the back of the hangar with the control pendant, it is easy for me to see when she's in correctly and clear of everything.

A professionally washed and polished airplane in the hangar! The owner assist versions! I’d need to watch every move very closely and practice a lot because I’m a slow learner!

D8ADB292-C9F2-49BB-8800-D17AA6DA5570.thumb.jpeg.2c55340b37c1abf11c465b2b5f86a7f9.jpeg

Just remember there is always someone out there tired of her crap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1