Dry vacuum pump poll

Bartman

Vacuum pump replacement  

45 members have voted

1. 1. When do/did you replace your dry vacuum pump ?

• 500 hours
    • When it dies
    • Some other criteria (please elaborate)

We sent the Dual Mag out for service and while we are at it the vacuum pump will be replaced. It has a little over 500 hrs and was on the list for this coming annual so needs to be done anyway. 

So I was bored and I sensed that you guys are too, so I made this poll. 

• Like 1

I went with... When it dies...   I’m VFR only, and have a spare electric pump...

When I get back to IFR, I’ll be getting an electric AI as well...

One question... Bartman, are you going to take your own poll?  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

While most last about 500 hours, dry vacuum pumps can fail for no rhyme, or reason.  Preemptively changing one may find you replacing a good one with one which will fail prematurely.

Vacuum pump failure is no fun IFR, but that's why we practice partial panel.

I've had several fail, all during VMC, which has emboldened me to change them when they fail.

I selected 500 hours, but in reality a failure always seems to beat me to it, usually at just over 500 hours and  before I get around to changing it.  If I were flying hard IMC a lot, I would be more religious about changing it before I got to 500 hours.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

What’s a vacuum pump? emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll be in that same boat this time next week. Installing the G5 and removing the vacuum pump. 

• Like 1

Had a couple die at less than 100 hours and one go 1200 hours.  All the rest failed around 600 hours. Only one gave notice of impending death, low pressure for a couple hours on a trip. Next start it worked normally (ordered pump, VFR weather) but failed on a four hour trip home.

Once on the ILS into Little Rock, my wife elbowed me, tore half the cover off an NOS book, handed it to me to put over the AH.  Now that's a co-pilot!

• Like 3

Well I do have the precise flight standby vacuum so maybe I will discuss with the IA about keeping what I have.  I do fly IMC and the vacuum is required to drive my attitude indicator for my old Century IIb.  I tested the standby in the past with the pump disconnected in test mode and if I remember it's good to about 8000 feet or something like that, but I did not run the autopilot. 

Interestingly when I first purchased the plane we found that the valve for the Precise Flight standby was hooked up wrong.  The valve was in the "on" position when the knob on the panel was in the "off" position.  We found that immediately when I had the JPI 700 monitor installed.

In my last M20E, I had 2 vacuum pump failures in 23 years (about 2200 hours) of ownership, both in VFR conditions.  Also had the Precise standby vac system. 

During the first failure, I decreased manifold pressure to enable the Precise standby to generate vacuum.  Then I realized that my sTec worked independent of vacuum, and decided to return to normal cruise speed and fly using the autopilot and compass.

Our current M20C vacuum pump is well over 500 hours.  We carry a spare pump in the luggage compartment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kmac said:

I also responded with when it fails.  Mine failed 4 hours into new ownership of my C.  Autopilot worked well before the failure now it will only turn left.  Accuflite and Accutrak II. 

That's where I'm at right now.  I have about 4 hours in my new C model and the vacuum pump failed on the last flight.  I'd love to do 2xG5s and remove the vacuum pump but doesn't the vacuum pull up my retractable step and run the PC?  I always intended to do that with my 172M but now I don't think I can with a M20C.

I went with when it dies.  At this point my #1 artificial horizon is the G600, #2 is an electric mid-continent, and #3 is the vacuum Sigma-Tek.  The vacuum pump only operates it and sucks up the retractable step.

John Breda