1 Year Mooney-versary

vance.k

Hello MS'ers,

Wanted to take this time to commemorate the 1 year anniversary of my first flight in my Mooney.  Picked up N231CK from the shop a year ago, after some post purchase work and upgrades, and have been flying every chance I get.  I logged 276 hours with 160 landings in those 12 months and have enjoyed the heck out of it. 

I've learned that I don't like flying at night; it is really dark out there and any off airport landing will likely hit something very hard.  And my night landings are usually my worst..but hey, I can usually get my night currency in one trip down the runway (3 bounces count, right?).  :D  Conversely, I got my IFR and really enjoy flying in IMC and the utility that it brings.  It is still nerve racking and exciting.  But, my actual IMC has all been departures and en route with no approaches yet.  

This past year, I traveled to Denver (~20x), Chicago Area (2x), Kansas (3x), Nebraska (2x), Arizona (3x), Nevada (4x), Texas (3x), and Utah (2x), as well as a host of other places across NM and CO too numerous to mention.  I've scrubbed a couple flights, delayed a couple, but have benefited from a remarkably good dispatch record, considering.  These Mooney's are travelling machines for sure.

I have an opportunity to fly to Orlando (~1,400NM) for a conference in 2 weeks, but after my last trip back from Chicago where I was bucking headwinds the whole way, I'm rethinking that potential 10 hour (probably 2 day) return trip from Orlando.  While I'd love to say I did it, I may sit in the back and have a drink for that trip. 

I've benefited tremendously from the knowledge and resources provided by the community here at MS and for that, I am very thankful.  I hope to be able to collect enough in the experience bucket to be able to contribute meaningfully some day.

Thanks again for everything!
Vance

ps.  Attaching a photo of the panel and of the family.  The family trip was last September on the way to Salt Lake City for labor day.  My wife hates flying, but she was a trooper and the trip up was super smooth.  Not so on the way back and it was the last time she's been in the plane.  Glad a took a photo as proof.  :lol:

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_2063.JPG

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, vance.k said:

ps.  Attaching a photo of the panel and of the family.  The family trip was last September on the way to Salt Lake City for labor day.  My wife hates flying, but she was a trooper and the trip up was super smooth.  Not so on the way back and it was the last time she's been in the plane.  Glad a took a photo as proof.  :lol:

What a handsome family.

Spoiler alert, the kids are going to grow and get heavier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Great Pirep, Vance!

Knowledge is power... some people are uncomfortable with flying because they don’t know enough about how a plane works...

We have a special program for those people...   it is called ‘right seat ready’  

If interested... Jolie / @mooneygirlmight be able to fill you in on some details....

Thanks for sharing...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vance.k said:

I logged 276 hours with 160 landings in those 12 months and have enjoyed the heck out of it.

That is an outstanding effort Vance and congrats from me as well. You have a nice panel and beautiful family including maybe two future Mooney pilots behind you.

My 17th Mooneyversary happens on October 26th. I hope you enjoy every hour of flight as I have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  The hours did add up much more quickly than I expected and frankly, the utility of flying surprised me.  The freedom of not worrying about missing a flight or what the security lines will be like, or unexpected delays, is huge!  I know I'm preaching to the choir.  In my mind, I expected some of that, but it surprised me nonetheless.  

I love when people ask 'what time is your flight' and I think, 'whenever I get there'.  Of course, I usually give some time that works with the schedule as to not get into it.  People's reactions and perceptions are funny, so sometimes it is best to keep my little hobby among family and friends.  

@carusoam - I'll work on the wife and see if she would do something like that.  I'd say not too likely, but worth a try.

Thanks again everyone, what a great community!
Vance

• Like 2

Vance, the cool part of the right seat ready is it is taught by two very knowledgeable and approachable women... the topic is brought down to what is important to them at the time... get to the airporort and get out of the plane safely...

I have found...

• For mooniacs, the flight is important...
  • For right seaters, the destination is key...

Solution...

• Go somewhere they are really interested in...
  • You get extra points if it is some place you have absolutely no interest in... and you suck it up without them noticing...  :)

Note... always have a solid plan B... they may not understand weather delays or 180s.... or having to leave early as weather approaches...

Plan B is always personal... Dinner at the Japanese restaurant, or other place not on your list...

My success rate is less than perfect at this... but the more they know the better my success has been...

• Short flights
  • Smooth air
  • great destinations
  • Eat early on, before departing again
  • Kids are so much easier... walking the boardwalk, getting a soda, eating pizza... blowing chow in a ziplock, can bring a smile.... :)
  • Even knowing how to avoid airsickness is helpful...

I mostly fly alone... me and three people sleeping in the other seats...

I take the snoring as a compliment to my smooth flying skills...:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

My wife was anxious when she first started flying. I asked her what she was worried about and she would mention things like “the wings falling off.” I told her things like that almost never happen (this was before the Arrow’s wings fell off at Embry-Riddle). We talked about it and discussed that there are certainly aspects of GA that can be anxiety-provoking, but they’re not the ones most non-pilots worry about.

The solution- she started taking flying lessons! Even after just a couple of lessons it seemed to make a huge difference and not only is she more helpful  in the cockpit (she gets ATIS, tunes the radios, programs the GTN, etc.) but she’s not anxious about flying anymore.

She said it was a bit awkward at the flight school though when they told her she should get renters insurance before her solo and she tried to explain that she never intended on flying by herself. I guess it’s better than saying she doesn’t want to learn how to land!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Knowledge is power... some people are uncomfortable with flying because they don’t know enough about how a plane works...

I think this is true, but some others are innately uncomfortable with flying. I have an illogical fear on snakes, and I understand them quite well. I know the benefits of non-poisonous ones and recognize them easily. But I still jump just as high, and kill them just as quickly, as if I didn't.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I think this is true, but some others are innately uncomfortable with flying. I have an illogical fear on snakes, and I understand them quite well. I know the benefits of non-poisonous ones and recognize them easily. But I still jump just as high, and kill them just as quickly, as if I didn't.

Spiders are my phobia. Maybe has something to do with growing up in Arizona. (black widows, tarantulas, scorpions, etc)

Well, your wife has the aviator (aviatrix?) glasses already so you just have to get her back in the plane. As Anthony says, for my wife the destination is critical. She did take the Right Seat Ready course from Jolie Lucas at a Mooney Summit a few years ago, and while she hasn't expressed any strong desire to really learn to fly, she is more knowledgeable about things and asks more and better questions about what's going on all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

As Anthony says, for my wife the destination is critical. She did take the Right Seat Ready course from Jolie Lucas at a Mooney Summit a few years ago, and while she hasn't expressed any strong desire to really learn to fly, she is more knowledgeable about things and asks more and better questions about what's going on all the time.

This is my wife, too. The books I had as a student pilot put her off of learning herself--too many of them. But she likes going places!

On 5/30/2018 at 6:52 PM, vance.k said:

And my night landings are usually my worst.

Mine were too - It was explained to me that the reason was is that I was focused on the spot being illuminated instead of down the end of the runway.....  exactly the advice that made my day landings good...

My wife supports my habit - and as others have said the destination is the key, she is the happiest flying in the "Lounge area" l in the back with the seat reclined and a glass (or two) of wine

• Like 1

Let me also jump on the anniversary band wagon....i have owned my mooney for a bit over a year.

In that time frame

We traveled to Houston for the birth of my 8th grandchild, was able to visit again for his 40 day blessing, then again before we left the country for the summer. 

We traveled to Virginia Beach, twice, to watch over our grand daughter for a week while parents attended a Naval reunion in San Diego. 

We traveled North to see teh eclipse

A quick op to the Embrey Riddle graduation

Took a friend to Sarasota for a job interview, then flew her to Savanna to meet with her husband

Many local trips for lunch (Mobile Alabama is local now)

Fantastic year!!!!  Best decision I have made in a long time.

• Like 1