Cabin speaker

On 6/24/2021 at 7:44 PM, carusoam said:

We don’t have a requirement to have a speaker do we?

Headsets seem to have replaced the need for one…

The back-up to the headset… is another headset.

PP wondering only…

-a-

There is a requirement to meet the TC. If the speaker is listed on the TC, then we need it. I don’t think it is, but I haven’t researched it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

I think it's connected to the gear horn and stall warning. You don't hear a buzz in the headsets, at least for the gear horn... 

Gear horn and stall warning have their own buzzers.  I suppose that could be different on newer models, but I think those would be newer than this thread addresses... (pre-J models).  Check the schematic in your owners manual/poh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cctsurf said:

Check the schematic in your owners manual/poh.

It's in the maintenance manual. 

Anyway, I'm not looking to remove the speaker: just trying to lose weight and potentially increase air flow into the overhead vents ...

If you are trying to increase airflow then do what I did. Mine is different from above and my J has a plenum instead of the eyeball vents in the previous picture. Inside the plenum which was basically another piece of plastic we found fiber material which is a poor excuse for an air filter but may or may not protect against rain. Anyway, since removal the airflow is much increased. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bartman said:

If you are trying to increase airflow then do what I did. Mine is different from above and my J has a plenum instead of the eyeball vents in the previous picture. Inside the plenum which was basically another piece of plastic we found fiber material which is a poor excuse for an air filter but may or may not protect against rain. Anyway, since removal the airflow is much increased. 

That has been suggested to be a horse hair filter.   Should prevent rain entry and keep the water going down the drain tubing that runs down the port side behind the window assuming the tubing is not blocked up with mud.

• Like 1