Cabin speaker

Called PS engineering and the cabin speaker should be 4 ohms at 3 watts.  Apparently some speakers were 8 or 16 ohms and that will cause clipping so if you are installing a PS engineering audio panel it is 4 ohms.    After some cleaner and a  magnifying glass I found a number on the speaker that was a number 2.  Mine might have been a 2 ohm speaker in my plane.  Just guessing but my speaker was so badly damaged its hard to tell.

4 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Called PS engineering and the cabin speaker should be 4 ohms at 3 watts.  Apparently some speakers were 8 or 16 ohms and that will cause clipping so if you are installing a PS engineering audio panel it is 4 ohms.    After some cleaner and a  magnifying glass I found a number on the speaker that was a number 2.  Mine might have been a 2 ohm speaker in my plane.  Just guessing but my speaker was so badly damaged its hard to tell.

Probably not 2 Ohms, as speakers are generally either 8 or 4 Ohms. 

• 3 years later...
26 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Hi guys,

Responding after 3 years ;)

Anyone found a lighter alternative in these years? :) I'm also wondering if installing a smaller speaker could open up more room in the air scoop channel, increasing the overhead air flow...

Thanks

The speakers spec'ed for my J are no longer made, and this met or exceeded all of the relevant specs.   It is the same size, and the mounting tabs fit the same as the old one, etc.   I believe it was lighter as well, although I didn't measure how much.   Those old speakers had heavier magnets than modern ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4NY1KE

• Thanks 1

If you are looking to replace the cabin roof mounted speaker .. beware.   If I remember correctly (?!) it has mounting holes in the magnet.  If you have an early model, look for the 2-AN3/10-32 screws in the cabin roof that hold the speaker in place.  Wish I had better info, but I don't think a simple speaker swap will work.P1012171.thumb.JPG.362044ac598bb9e69e3eefa18037097b.JPG 

42 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Thanks @EricJbut the specs on that Amazon link say it's 1.8lbs. I was wondering if one can install a much lighter speaker...

I think that's for both; there are two in a package.    The old, heavy one that came out weighs slightly less than 1.3 lbs (I have it here and just weighed it).

• Thanks 1

I have 12 brand new ones. The OEM part number is one letter off. The only difference is they were made for tanks. They have waterproof cones and they don’t have the screws holding the magnet together. Otherwise exactly the same electrically and mechanically. They are still sealed in the mil spec paper bags.

Let me know if you want one. It is probably as close as you will ever get to the original speaker.

8 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I have 12 brand new ones. The OEM part number is one letter off. The only difference is they were made for tanks. They have waterproof cones and they don’t have the screws holding the magnet together. Otherwise exactly the same electrically and mechanically. They are still sealed in the mil spec paper bags.

Let me know if you want one. It is probably as close as you will ever get to the original speaker.

Square or rectangIe? I would like to see a picure of what you have. 

On 5/31/2018 at 4:11 AM, Dream to fly said:

Ok. So 8 ohms. I was thinking it was lower but that will work thanks

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

If you look at the electrical diagram of your intercom or audio mixer, the value of the impedance required for the speaker circuit is specified.

Very good sound for me with this trade model. Just a little thicker, it is necessary to create a specific spacer, but this does not change the mounting of the trim (for "67 F").

Then it is necessary to take back the plastic housing to modify it in the upper part of the magnet. The photo of the molding model showing the modified upper part.

Minor modification approved without problems, form one is edited after testing the installation and for the entire installation.

WP_20180609_007.thumb.jpg.cf34b1def3710f0227f40d8be0846c8e.jpg

WP_20210425_11_34_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.a09b5392727cb668e01fafe65e6cb0c8.jpg

20180515_002.jpg

Edited by Raymond J

On 6/24/2021 at 10:44 PM, carusoam said:

We don’t have a requirement to have a speaker do we?

Headsets seem to have replaced the need for one…

The back-up to the headset… is another headset.

PP wondering only…

-a-

Carusoam, I flew my Mooney for years with a bad speaker having no idea what I was missing. Since replacement a few years ago I now find that speaker extremely beneficial.  It gets hot down here in Atlanta so when I taxi around my home drome the overhead speaker is monitoring the frequency. At airports with AWOS I’ll dial that in on the speaker before startup.  There are times it’s nice to not have a headset on while in the airplane.

Edit:  I just thought of another "feature" that a pro on this forum shared with me - When on an ILS/LOC approach you select the NAV audio on the overhead speaker, the Morse code identifier can be heard in the background providing confirmation that it is working all the way down the chute.  It's not too distracting since it is not in your headset but can still be heard slightly muted since the sound is in the cabin. Just an easy way to confirm the ILS/LOC is operating while your going down to mins.

Edited by Culver LFA
Had another thought
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here are the speakers I have. The parts manual lists a Radio Shack speaker. I think I found these from the part number printed on my speaker. If I recall, this is the closest part number I could find. As you can see, they are in mil spec packaging. These have the exact part number as my original speaker, except for one letter in the suffix. The main difference is the terminals are rotated 45 degrees from the original, they don’t have the screws holding the magnets together and they have green waterproof cones. 

I put one in my 77 J and it fit and sounded perfect.

l have 5 speakers, one opened, and 4 in unopened packages.

Let’s say $100 plus shipping. 

4E3E7D49-D092-4CE5-ACA7-48DC7F94E4CA.jpeg

6419E731-1CD7-4881-9DEE-BD710828F268.jpeg

3EDE4429-3870-423A-9DD0-E55DBA13BD07.jpeg

On 6/24/2021 at 9:44 PM, carusoam said:

We don’t have a requirement to have a speaker do we?

Headsets seem to have replaced the need for one…

The back-up to the headset… is another headset.

PP wondering only…

-a-

When one cruises along in their Executive with a cigar in the left hand and a martini in their right hand, civility demands that the Chairmen of the Board be playing over the speaker. 

• Haha 1