Pitot drain

On 6/1/2018 at 9:41 AM, Marauder said:

Not to mention covering the static ports with blue painter's tape when washing the plane.

Putting a button of hard foam or something similar under that tape is better.  Needs to be something that won’t contaminate the hole. The goo from the tape can cause the tiny hole to plug.

My aircraft has a pitot and a static drain.  The pitot, I believe, is the one in the little hole in the wing root, and the static is on the port side belly behind the wing, not in a hole just sticks down.  I have not ever gotten water from either of thems, not that I could tell, but I press them every pre-flight.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:44 AM, Marcopolo said:

If you have the normal 231 wing root fairing then the button will not be evident in the hole, you will need to press it with a pen cap or other smaller device.

Ron

With my 231, a finger works just fine.   I've never found water in either drain, and I've flown through rain on a few occasions.

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, joekinnc said:

Is there any chance someone can post a pic of where the pitot drain is on a 69 M20F?

And it’s tiny.  You will miss it if you don’t look close.  The static drain looks exactly the same and is roughly below the static ports in the tail section.  Push them, you’ll feel them spring back.

• Like 1

If you are just seeing a hole, my guess is the O ring failed in the valve and instead of replacing it or the valve, the easier solution was to remove it. I believe the static and pitot drains are the same.

0d87ed9d38c0c42737596d17b4349095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. I’ll look this weekend. If missing, I’ll have to figure how to drain it.
Airspeed dose not return to zero.

S. T. Nelson
N231JG
Just Go

Could be important.

• Like 1

If you are just seeing a hole, my guess is the O ring failed in the valve and instead of replacing it or the valve, the easier solution was to remove it. I believe the static and pitot drains are the same.

0d87ed9d38c0c42737596d17b4349095.jpg

Thanks. I’ll look this weekend. If missing, I’ll have to figure how to drain it.
Airspeed dose not return to zero.

S. T. Nelson
N231JG
Just Go

Could be important.

LOL. That is a picture I posted several years ago. It is a replacement static drain. I’m not sure the drains are the same either.

My static drain was repaired a few times for a corroded seat. Eventually it couldn’t pass a pitot static test.