Pitot drain

2 minutes ago, Stnelson903 said:

I have a “new to me” 1978 M20k 231. Poh shows a drain at the port side wing root for the pitot system. I see an empty hole. Is the supposed to be a button sticking down or do I press inside with a small punch?

S. T. Nelson

N231JG

Just Go

Normally there is a small 3/16” pin sticking out of the lower wing surface right beside the fuselage.

Clarence

On my 252, yes, right next to the fuselage on the wing root at the pilot-side window, I have a push button drain button.  There is also a static drain (same type of button) on the fuse on the same side b/w the wing and the elevator.

Now the next question...

How does one get access to remount the drain valve?

Is that from inside the cabin?

Don’t accidently open a fuel bay...

aircraft spruce may have pictures of Pitot drain valves... that may be enlightening..?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you.

S. T. Nelson
N231JG
Just Go

If you are just seeing a hole, my guess is the O ring failed in the valve and instead of replacing it or the valve, the easier solution was to remove it. I believe the static and pitot drains are the same.

0d87ed9d38c0c42737596d17b4349095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you are just seeing a hole, my guess is the O ring failed in the valve and instead of replacing it or the valve, the easier solution was to remove it. I believe the static and pitot drains are the same.

0d87ed9d38c0c42737596d17b4349095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. I’ll look this weekend. If missing, I’ll have to figure how to drain it.
Airspeed dose not return to zero.

S. T. Nelson
N231JG
Just Go

47 minutes ago, Stnelson903 said:

Thanks. I’ll look this weekend. If missing, I’ll have to figure how to drain it.
Airspeed dose not return to zero.

S. T. Nelson
N231JG
Just Go

Your ASI not returning to zero likely has nothing to do with the drain or lack there of.  If there is concern of contamination in the pitot line, you can blow the line out from the ASI end of the system.  Be sure to disconnect the air speed safety switch for the landing gear before blowing through the lines.

Clarence

Just now, Mark89114 said:

Has anybody ever gotten moisture out of it?  I press the button on preflight, probably going to wear the o ring out.......

I have on the static drain and the fact the seat corroded suggests water was in there.

In a short 20 years, I have never gotten anything out of either pitot, or static drains.  

Of course, in the last 15 years of that 20, I gave up checking because I never found any water.  :lol:

I'm not sure whether the risk of water is greater than the risk of a drain not properly sealing after checking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In a short 20 years, I have never gotten anything out of either pitot, or static drains.  
Of course, in the last 15 years of that 20, I gave up checking because I never found any water.  :lol:
I'm not sure whether the risk of water is greater than the risk of a drain not properly sealing after checking.

How often do you fly through rain?

On 5/30/2018 at 5:48 PM, Stnelson903 said:

I see an empty hole. Is the supposed to be a button sticking down or do I press inside with a small punch?

If you have the normal 231 wing root fairing then the button will not be evident in the hole, you will need to press it with a pen cap or other smaller device.

Ron

7 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

Has anybody ever gotten moisture out of it?  I press the button on preflight, probably going to wear the o ring out.......

Iirc... 201er video taped issues caused by water in the Pitot/static system after being outside in a strong rainstorm...

A fair amount came out...

Best regards,

-a-

Iirc... 201er video taped issues caused by water in the Pitot/static system after being outside in a strong rainstorm...
A fair amount came out...
Best regards,
-a-

And I thought that was caused by him hooking up the José relief tube system incorrectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Stnelson903 said:

Any ideas then on why asi is not returning to zero?

S. T. Nelson
N231JG
Just Go

Remove the glare shield and remove the pitot line from the back of the ASI and see if it returns to zero.  If it doesn’t the ASI requires a repair.

Clarence

On 5/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, carusoam said:

Now the next question...

How does one get access to remount the drain valve?

Is that from inside the cabin?

Don’t accidently open a fuel bay...

aircraft spruce may have pictures of Pitot drain valves... that may be enlightening..?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On a Bravo it is from inside cabin after removing pilots side lower interior panel.I had an avionics shop while sourcing a static leak caused by a cracked o ring ,prepare to drill rivets to remove left wing filet when I said...stop ..call Mooney or an MSC!

• Like 1