Mooney must be selling some

INA201

20 minutes ago, DAVIDWH said:

When you do your spins with the rt. tank full  left tank empty and aft cg. , hope you don't mind, but I would prefer to observe from the ground.

Mikey Miles, or maybe it was Bill Wheat, told a fun story of the FAA certification observer electing to observe such a flight from a chase plane.

I have a friend who was one of the test pilots for the Carter Copter.   Lots of interesting stories.  I'd expect test flying a Mooney is quite a bit less exciting. (and less exciting in a good way)

image.png.79086d0ff957bad4b4a1edf912525bd5.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, INA201 said:

I saw this on the job postings on Mooney’s website. They must be selling. Anyone know the numbers?

Or they're experiencing turnover, or somebody is making a big investment.   I hope they're doing well, though!

• Like 1

Well they must not be selling alot if they are hiring interns.   I am sure all the design work is reviewed by a qualified professional with years of experience.

It would be fun to be an assembler for a year or so if it would get you a discount on the plane you built.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Well they must not be selling alot if they are hiring interns.   I am sure all the design work is reviewed by a qualified professional with years of experience.

It would be fun to be an assembler for a year or so if it would get you a discount on the plane you built.

Any healthy engineering organization will have a balance of senior engineers and interns. However, in aircraft design the real heavy lifting of designing wings, etc is done by one special guy, usually a contract engineer. The staff engineers mostly push paperwork to satisfy the FAA.

-Robert

• Like 1

I sincerely hope they are selling airplanes. 

Has there been anyone to sign up on this site indicating they just purchased a new Mooney?  Has anyone been on a tour of the facility and seen planes lined up in assembly? 

I also hope their sales is better than their service.  Has anyone at Mooney ever picked up or returned your calls.......?  If so, good for you because I've never received a return call or had anyone pick up the technical support line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

I wonder what the requirements are for test pilot.

Not sure about Mooney but Cessna prefers a masters in aeronautical engineering. I believe Boeing requires it  Test pilots are expected to know a lot  

that’s for certification test pilots First flight pilots are less strict  

-Robert 

Edited by RobertGary1

Generally hiring summer interns is a good thing. Shows the company isn’t completely out of money. They are hiring them to complement engineers, not to replace engineers.  It’s also a good recruitment tool if every now and then you can convience one to come to work for you after they graduate.   We usually keep 10 per semester in our engineering department and offer the good ones full time positions  3-6 months before they graduate.  For a few offers have been extended up to 12 months out. 

• Like 2

Test pilot jobs generally require experience as a flight test engineer at a minimum, and frequently a test pilot school certificate...which costs a bit more than your local community college. A degree in aero engineering is also a prereq.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No doubt it takes nerves of steel to be a test pilot, but I don't think Mooney has killed any of their test pilots. It's certainly dangerous but not as dangerous as it might seem.

I spoke with one of the pilots there now and he said it's about 10% flying and 90% engineering/paperwork/filling out reports/running calculations/etc.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

No doubt it takes nerves of steel to be a test pilot, but I don't think Mooney has killed any of their test pilots. It's certainly dangerous but not as dangerous as it might seem.

I spoke with one of the pilots there now and he said it's about 10% flying and 90% engineering/paperwork/filling out reports/running calculations/etc.

I spoke with a test pilot who said a lot of the flying is very boring verifying all those performance charts.  Mostly flying "on the numbers".

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Well, hold my beer, we're going to take all the spacers out of the empennage assy and dive at a defined %age over VNE... 

IIRC it was 300 MPH. That’s a lot over Vne. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 9:22 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Well, hold my beer, we're going to take all the spacers out of the empennage assy and dive at a defined %age over VNE... 

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

IIRC it was 300 MPH. That’s a lot over Vne. 

Let's call that one 50% over Vne.