Any tricks to pulling oil screen on IO-360?

To me, the annoying/frustrating thing is the difference between how long you think it should take vs. how long the job actually is. 

One bolt, one piece of safety wire, flush the screen- should be about 5-10 minutes. When I started budgeting 1 hour my frustration level went way down (and it really only takes about 20-30 minutes). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

To me, the annoying/frustrating thing is the difference between how long you think it should take vs. how long the job actually is. 

One bolt, one piece of safety wire, flush the screen- should be about 5-10 minutes. When I started budgeting 1 hour my frustration level went way down (and it really only takes about 20-30 minutes). 

First time I did it I budgeted two based off what I had heard. It only took about 10 minutes to remove it and examine it, thankful to find that it was clean. Thinking it was proceeding well in my mind I revised my initial time estimate... It went back in fairly easily, safety wire was put on the bolt, then it took about an hour to get it down through that stupid little hole in the bottom of the case so I could finish the job...

Had I not revised my initial time estimate it my frustration level would have stayed fairly low. There was a number of breaks during that hour that I was trying to get the wire through but when I finally did I had learned some things. Next time I think I can get the whole job done in 45 minutes to an hour.

• Like 2

Man, I thought I was on top of everything with my plane until this thread. I put a light down on the safety wire on the bolt holding the screen and sure enough it doesn’t look touched for quite some time. Hmmm, next oil change it’ll get done. Thanks MS:)

• Like 2

Man, I thought I was on top of everything with my plane until this thread. I put a light down on the safety wire on the bolt holding the screen and sure enough it doesn’t look touched for quite some time. Hmmm, next oil change it’ll get done. Thanks MS

We run into that ALOT. Pretty amazing to us given the fact that it's an FAR. 215a6b24c8d26c270baef1ba4b22458b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, AGL Aviation said:

We run into that ALOT. Pretty amazing to us given the fact that it's an FAR.

OK, so where's the video? IO-360 on an E if you don't mind ;)

Man, I thought I was on top of everything with my plane until this thread. I put a light down on the safety wire on the bolt holding the screen and sure enough it doesn’t look touched for quite some time. Hmmm, next oil change it’ll get done. Thanks MS

Lol, you probably won’t be thanking Mooney Space after you pull the filter:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Alright - Attached is a video (the best I could get - it was pretty cramped and THAT's not my hubby ;) ) of removing an oil suction screen off of an M20J. I'll also be posting a video of the re installation. He's using an angled open ended wrench to remove it (which helps). Let me know what you guys think? (Except for the little injury you can see after he gets it out - that's pretty typical too).

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, AGL Aviation said:

It's pretty much the same. You guys didn't ask for the re-safetying... Just 'pulling'. A long pair of hemostats is very helpful and curved ones work best. b376f019217817c3472d1572df334b12.jpg

Came here for the re-safetying as well.  Although not fun, I am confident I can fit some form of object/tool in that confined space to loosen/tighten the screen.  My problem arises from the fact that I am 100% positive I dont posses the skills to get that son of a gun re-safetyied in there. 

Appreciate the videos!

Perhaps a capture of the re-safety the next go-round?

Came here for the re-safetying as well.  Although not fun, I am confident I can fit some form of object/tool in that confined space to loosen/tighten the screen.  My problem arises from the fact that I am 100% positive I dont posses the skills to get that son of a gun re-safetyied in there. 
Appreciate the videos!
Perhaps a capture of the re-safety the next go-round?

Stand by. We're not too far into it, I'm going to have our guy cut off the safety and re-do it for y'all.

Just now, AGL Aviation said:

You know y'all wouldn't survive... You'd starve.
Plus, miss Sydney. 

He's firing you, not Sydney!

Guess I'll see you tomorrow, Have Lynn text me if that's not the case.

Go Nathan!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AGL Aviation said:

...shout out to him if you want!

Thanks Nathan! I didn't even know where the damn thing was. See? The expletives have started already!

• Like 1

Excellent vids...I feel ready to do this. Some quick questions:

1. The one R&R'd had wires for the 'pre-heater'. Do most of them not have that? Is it just a drilled 5/8" bolt?
  2. Does it need a new washer when it is replaced? If so, do you have a P/N?

TIA,

Harley

Excellent vids...I feel ready to do this. Some quick questions:
  1. The one R&R'd had wires for the 'pre-heater'. Do most of them not have that? Is it just a drilled 5/8" bolt?
  2. Does it need a new washer when it is replaced? If so, do you have a P/N?
TIA,
Harley

No, most do not have the preheated. On standard, you use a 5/8" wrench to remove it. Not every time, replace it if the washer is damaged. Be careful not to bend the screen re-installing it, it fits in like a little slot - according to Nathan, you can feel it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1