Mixture cable does not look right?

Had never noticed this before but the rigid end piece on the servo end of my mixture cable seems to have separated?  Not sure how it is supposed to attach?  Maybe time for a new one. Appreciate any advice  

FEF67204-6BEF-4130-BE3E-5CDA24A01ECF.jpeg

Edited by Gary0747
Added Photo

57 minutes ago, Gary0747 said:

Had never noticed this before but the rigid end piece on the servo end of my mixture cable seems to have separated?  Not sure how it is supposed to attach?  Maybe time for a new one. Appreciate any advice  

Picture would help, but I suspect this is the point where there is a swaged bulb that acts as a ball joint.  It come with a rubber part over it that is for vibration dampening.  The rubber part fails relatively quickly and the bulb wears until it separates.  While I have not seen this cause the cable to fail, it can cause kinking and rough operation and I suspect accelerated cable wear.  You might be able to get it back together and get longer life, especially if the rubber part is intact, but I suspect your IA would recommend replacement.  

22 minutes ago, takair said:

Picture would help, but I suspect this is the point where there is a swaged bulb that acts as a ball joint.  It come with a rubber part over it that is for vibration dampening.  The rubber part fails relatively quickly and the bulb wears until it separates.  While I have not seen this cause the cable to fail, it can cause kinking and rough operation and I suspect accelerated cable wear.  You might be able to get it back together and get longer life, especially if the rubber part is intact, but I suspect your IA would recommend replacement.  

I added a photo to my original post. 

That happens when the end rod gets bent slightly. It binds inside the other tube and when you push the mixture knob forward it pops the joint apart. It can be repaired by carefully straightening the rod then reinserting the tube into its socket. I’ve seen the safety wire trick but if it’s binding it will just pop out again. If you get it working well again use a short piece of heavy duty shrink sleeve (the kind with meltable adhesive sealant inside) to keep the joint both secure and sealed from the elements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, that's it. Wrap the lockwire around the shaft, twist if tight, twist if for a bit and twist it around the fixed part on the conduit. That will hold it together forever.

I did it to my prop cable. I'll be out at the hangar tomorrow I'll see if I can get a picture.

Cnoe is correct. It happens because you have the mixture rigged so it hits the end of travel at the servo before the knob is all he way in. Somebody tried to make it richer than max by pushing he knob in to the stop. This pushes it apart.

My old partner, thought that all levers needed you be pushed to the stops no matter how much force it took.