Source for alternator brushes - ALY 6520 for 201

So there was finally good enough weather to check out the new avionics recently installed, and now the alternator is dead. Pulled it off after checking it, and the brushes are done. As most members of the CB club would, I want to repair what I have rather than buy a new alternator. Does anyone have a source for the brushes before I start the Internet search from hell for them? TIA.

You might try Spruce.  I just changed brushes on my alternator but I have a Continental gear driven alternator so I'm sure yours are different.  The alternator shops will probably have them also.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acpartswhse said:

easiest to stop by any generator/starter/alternator shop and pick up  a set.  cheap

Those shops are getting harder and harder to find.  Our area has lost two of the three shops due to the cheap Chinese replacements.  

Too bad the Chinese replacements don't have PMAs.  ^_^

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Not sure. 12V 60A. How could I tell?

I took mine down to an autoparts store.  The guy took one look at it and assured me it was off a Ford...until he saw the tag.  :ph34r:

He tested it and it tested bad, but that was the end of his involvement.

43 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I took mine down to an autoparts store.  The guy took one look at it and assured me it was off a Ford...until he saw the tag.  :ph34r:

He tested it and it tested bad, but that was the end of his involvement.

I went down to two local parts stores to just get it tested and they were completely baffled. Both places said they could not test it without knowing what "the code" was for it. Nobody knows how to do anything without the right information to program the computer they use. SMH

Are you sure it's not an ALY-6520 rather than 6250?

You could probably limp by with a new set of brushes, but if all you have is one alternator, it might not hurt to rebuild it if it's already off of the airplane. These guys (http://aeroacc-vny.com/) impressed me with their quick response to my e-mail about rebuilding both of my 25 year old alternators. Then they turned them around just two days after they received them with great communication all the way. When I got them back I was very impressed with the attention to detail. They did them for $150 less per alternator than I could have had them done for locally. Even after accounting for shipping it was well worth it.

• Like 1

• Oldguy changed the title to Source for alternator brushes - ALY 6520 for 201
46 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The brushes usually out last the alternator. If it is eating the brushes you should look for the cause, like a bad bearing.

Aviall has all the parts. You just need to find the part number.

I found out that the original brushes ( which had worn out ) were put in backwards...the wire leads that comes off the side of it is not in the middle and the lead was rubbing on the commutator.  Kelly Aerospace at it's best...unless you want them to wear out sooner!

iain

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

You are correct. I can't type worth a flip.

The entire rebuild kit for the alternator is sold at Aircraft Spruce. It is Hartzell part number 90-3048. Spruce's part number is 07-01495. The kit lists for $209.95

If you want just the brushes it is Hartzell part number ALE-2013AS. The Spruce part number 07-18138. The brushes lists for 21.50 per set.

• Like 1