New Mooney Owner '65E

Well Mooneyspace I’ve been on this forum for well over a year now. I was fortune enough to join this community with the purchase of N5612Q from @DrBill late last month. I’m now the proud owner of a 1965 M20E! I know it was hard for Bill to sell this fine machine, but I promise it will continue to live a long and flightful life. @AGL Aviationwith Tamara and Lynn have been incredibly patient, understanding, and helpful to me as a first time owner. I cannot thank them enough and I look forward to future services with them, albeit once a year ideally :D. @Bob_Belville You are ultimately the one that tied me in with both of these parties, helping me purchase and relocate 5612Q to KMRN for a recommended MSC annual and helping me find a CFI to get my 5 hour check out. I am certainly in your debt for all of your help. Thank you again for everything.

@LANCECASPERthanks for the deal on the shock discs those were the largest maintenance item I needed to address.

What my annual included:

Main shock discs replaced

Oversized bushing + sanding and repaint for the nose gear (Looks GREAT)

Complied with SB M20-289A

Retract rods and idler arms had light corrosion (blasted and painted)

New Down lock block

UPGRADES: :)

Gem602 upgraded to Insight G2

GPS breaker upped to allow for IFD 440 swap when ready

(Avidyne is having a deal with purchase of a 440 you get a Zulu 3 headset included! )

Pictures to follow in ~3 weeks when I pick up the plane.

–Jon.

• Like 9

Well Mooneyspace I’ve been on this forum for well over a year now. I was fortune enough to join this community with the purchase of N5612Q from [mention=8267]DrBill[/mention] late last month. I’m now the proud owner of a 1965 M20E! I know it was hard for Bill to sell this fine machine, but I promise it will continue to live a long and flightful life. [mention=14357]AGL Aviation[/mention]with Tamara and Lynn have been incredibly patient, understanding, and helpful to me as a first time owner. I cannot thank them enough and I look forward to future services with them, albeit once a year ideally . [mention=8913]Bob_Belville[/mention] You are ultimately the one that tied me in with both of these parties, helping me purchase and relocate 5612Q to KMRN for a recommended MSC annual and helping me find a CFI to get my 5 hour check out. I am certainly in your debt for all of your help. Thank you again for everything.
 [mention=8122]LANCECASPER[/mention]thanks for the deal on the shock discs those were the largest maintenance item I needed to address.
What my annual included:
Main shock discs replaced
Oversized bushing + sanding and repaint for the nose gear (Looks GREAT)
Complied with SB M20-289A
Retract rods and idler arms had light corrosion (blasted and painted)
New Down lock block
UPGRADES: 
Gem602 upgraded to Insight G2
GPS breaker upped to allow for IFD 440 swap when ready
(Avidyne is having a deal with purchase of a 440 you get a Zulu 3 headset included! )
Pictures to follow in ~3 weeks when I pick up the plane.
 –Jon.

Glad to be of service! Thanks for being a great customer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for update Jon, sent you a pkg today with some magazines (M20E reviews), owners manual,  and  gascolator gasket.  don't forget your O2 transfill bottle here at  8a6 and garmin manuals (hardcopy).  Is located in hangar 6 (I think)  right side on floor. I'll update number tomorrow or Monday if wrong.

I"m Glad to hear as the plane needs to be flown much more than I could.

I changed my profile pic to reflect new adrenaline rush. this was last April on the Charlotte Motor Speedway new ROVAl.

want to ride along ? http://www.creativecomputersolutions.com/3lapsatcmsroval.htm

Bill

• Like 4

Dr. Bill,

Any chance you can post the video using YouTube...  the .wmv file is a video?

On Fridays around here, the interesting motor vehicles come out... All summer long.

It is an interesting sign that the economy is flowing.

I saw my friend’s LT1(Chevy) powered ‘30s Ford today...

Best regards,

-a-

ok it is on you tube, i'll send you the link.

https://youtu.be/FPl1eiA_62Q

Bill

PS my car only has 240 rear wheel hp so the newer cars with 400 and more pull away on the straights. 

under green flag, i hit NASCAR turn 3 at about 118 and hold foot to the metal around 3 and 4 until I have to lift for the new chicane

at 4.

• Like 2

State side! Just received an amazing welcome home from the people of New Hampshire (our customs stop), last stop KSVN. 

Bill thanks for the extras, hopefully I can meet you for dinner Friday or Saturday if you're free?Gene hopefully will be available for my checkout this weekend too. 

55 minutes ago, J0nathan225 said:

State side! Just received an amazing welcome home from the people of New Hampshire (our customs stop), last stop KSVN. 

Bill thanks for the extras, hopefully I can meet you for dinner Friday or Saturday if you're free?Gene hopefully will be available for my checkout this weekend too. 

Welcome home Jon @J0nathan225! Let me know when you're coming over to MRN!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well MS, 5612Q is now in Savannah with me! I got my insurance checkout on Saturday out at KMRN, then flew up to KFCI for fathers day, really stretched the wings on Monday by flying back to Savannah from Richmond. IDK if she is fast, average, or slow but I was mostly at 6500' doing 141 TAS  @ ~9GPH (LOP 40-50 per the G2). Only real squawk is the 12volt outlet does not seem to work and the top door latch has come unlatched on take off twice! I'm also working the IFD 440/GDL88 incompatibility issue, I'm fighting going back to the 430W but not sure how I feel about another 3+ AMUs for a new ADSB out transponder when the 430w/GDL88 worked for in and out. 

sunrise Mooney.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, J0nathan225 said:

Well MS, 5612Q is now in Savannah with me! I got my insurance checkout on Saturday out at KMRN, then flew up to KFCI for fathers day, really stretched the wings on Monday by flying back to Savannah from Richmond. IDK if she is fast, average, or slow but I was mostly at 6500' doing 141 TAS  @ ~9GPH (LOP 40-50 per the G2). Only real squawk is the 12volt outlet does not seem to work and the top door latch has come unlatched on take off twice! I'm also working the IFD 440/GDL88 incompatibility issue, I'm fighting going back to the 430W but not sure how I feel about another 3+ AMUs for a new ADSB out transponder when the 430w/GDL88 worked for in and out. 

Jon, great to meet you last week, glad you got her home!

141 TAS on 9 gph might be a slightly slow --- LOP that's 67.5% power. --- LOP calculation: FF (GPH) x 15 (factor) / 200 (hp). The 3 blade prop might be a little slower than 2.)

Closing our door is tricky, most Mooney pilots don't let their passenger close it, be sure the handle is full forward. And the mechanism may need adjustment. (I did not have a problem on the 3 or 4 takeoffs I made.) When you install new door seals you'll want to be sure latch is still working.

We have quite a few Avidyne fans and users on MS so I'm sure you can get advise re GDL88 if you need it. I would suspect that the plug and play feature does not account for a pin or 2 that might need to be added. Just a guess, I have a GDL 88 but it's talking to a Garmin GTN and xponder. 

On 6/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, J0nathan225 said:

sunrise Mooney.jpg

Jonathan - Bob certainly would be the expert for letting you know if your E's speeds are where they need to be. I know the few times I went LOP, I lost a fair amount of airspeed. Your E should be up in the mid to high 150s when running ROP. 141 KTAS seems a tad low for LOP operations.

I feel for you on the compatibility issue with ADS-B solutions. I am still a bit surprised the GDL-88 doesn't integrate with the Avidyne GPS. Perhaps because the Avidyne offerings were not out at the time the GDL-88 was introduced. Garmin is usually pretty good about making sure they leave no table scraps. It might be good to check with Garmin directly if you haven't done so already. They are pretty good at providing an understanding of what works together and what doesn't. I know when I first looked for an ADS-B solution the GTX-345 was not able to speak with my Aspens. About 6 months later, the integration happened but not before I bought the L-3 9000+.

here is my door close procedure:

1: Smartly close door with  door pull,

2: hold closed then push handle forward to latch.

3 test with push with knuclkes at top/center and about 6 in down on area between door window and rear window.

if any movement, open and repeat.

would happen to me lately about once a year. always on takeoff, so I just come back and land unless a short flight.

Bill

PS Garmin has a flightstream product for an additional 1k, to provide wireless GPS data for tablets and other devices..

when i put the GDl88 in, they roughed in for flightstream. was told install is no more than 1hr.