AEROLED Sunspot 46LX vs. Whelen Parmetheus Plus Super

Davarron

A few months ago I saw a video post review on here of the AEROLED Sunspot 46LX Landing Light. It SOLD me (sorry I forgot who posted it). However I had no idea how it compared to the most current version of the Whelen Parmetheus Plus series, which happens to be the Super version (that I had). So this post hopefully will serve that comparison purpose on here. I was dumbfounded at the difference and so happy with the AEROLED Sunspot. The beam angle is much wider and brighter allowing you to actually see the sides of the taxiways at night and the majority of the runway on final. Not to mention it just looks cool! And the Whelen’s beam is just so narrow.

The AEROLED consists of 4 spot Landing lights (which can be seen shining on the hangar in the second picture below). It also consists of 5 taxi light leds that create the wide beam angle.  You can see them all in the third picture below. Note that all leds illuminate simultaneously when the light is turned ON.

The first picture is the Whelen Parmetheus Plus Super 46. The second picture is about 30 minutes later of the AEROLED Sunspot 46LX. Third picture is again of the AEROLED Sunspot. Notice in the second picture you can see the hangar centerline next door and how much more of the building and pavement you can see. 

Hope this helps some of you if you are on the fence. It’s quite a few more pennies I know, but I think worth it. 

EF95D2F0-1E28-4998-A532-25E980DBFC36.jpeg

8FE55104-9A9E-4197-ABC8-2958CBDF5714.jpeg

8DA68B7E-88C8-4AEC-AFDF-99D70F5057D3.jpeg

• Like 4

Obviously the Aeroled is better.  At Sun n Fun I talked to the Whelen  guys. They claimed a new and improved bulb was coming out in the near future at the same price.I haven't  really been following the subject but isn't the Aeroled >1,600 vs around 300 for the Whelen?  To show how much night flying I do my J model has the same landing light bulb that it came to me with almost 20 years ago and it still works.

The Sunspot 46LX is 650$ vs the Parmetheus Plus at 230$. 

Is the Sunspot 46LX almost 3x as “good”? That’s a matter of personal interpretation and opinion.

I do a lot of all weather, day/night flying so for me this is definitely worth it personally. For someone who flies mostly daytime with occasional night, may not be worth three times the price. 

I just wanted to show the actual difference between the two lights because when I was researching, I did not find any comparison like these photos to base my decision off of. 

• Like 1

We switched from the Parmetheus to the Sunspot with our helicopters at work. I concur it’s a huge improvement.  Once we switched, all of our pilots were very happy with the difference.  The cost difference is significant but if you do a fair amount of night flying I highly recommend getting the Sunspot.  It’s on the top of my list of equipment to get in the future.

• Like 1

I would say the person that doesn’t fly at night very often, should get the aeroled light. If you are not used to the sight picture of landing at night the added brightness will help you out a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...