M20F left fuel tank weep

Folks, 

Looking for some advice regarding a weep that has developed in my left fuel tank.  Appears to occur when the tank is full.  weeps from the hole on the lower area of the leading edge near the wing root.  Plane is based at KVGT (North Las Vegas)...recent arrival there.  Searching logs to find out when the last reseal occurred.  

Basically looking for either a local A&P that would be willing to help me do the work to fix this or a local shop capable of taking care of the issue (prefer the prior, not the latter).

Haven't noticed any fuel smells in the cabin but also don't like things that leak.

Seems to only occur when tank is full.  Right side does not exhibit this behavior.

Regards,

IMG-5079.JPG

You might take a look at this very current thread.

This is not a job for the "local A&P" or the shop on the field. Take it to a proper MSC that has proven experience with this. Top Gun in Stockton, CA might be closest. Or there might be a shop in SoCal somewhere. @kortopates might have some advice.

I would be interested in what you find. My right tank does the exact same thing if I put more than 20 gallons in it. The left is leak free. Both tanks done by Wetwingologist by the previous owner. Talked to the owner of Wetwingologist who said he would be happy to fix it under warranty if I brought it to him but I'm on the wrong coast to see him. 

2 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I would be interested in what you find. My right tank does the exact same thing if I put more than 20 gallons in it. The left is leak free. Both tanks done by Wetwingologist by the previous owner. Talked to the owner of Wetwingologist who said he would be happy to fix it under warranty if I brought it to him but I'm on the wrong coast to see him. 

We'll give you a place to stay in Texas on your way there. ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

You might take a look at this very current thread.

This is not a job for the "local A&P" or the shop on the field. Take it to a proper MSC that has proven experience with this. Top Gun in Stockton, CA might be closest. Or there might be a shop in SoCal somewhere. @kortopates might have some advice.

Really? I beg to differ that there are A&P's capable of repairing this type of fuel leak. It's not rocket science or that difficult, just time consuming. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Really? I beg to differ that there are A&P's capable of repairing this type of fuel leak. It's not rocket science or that difficult, just time consuming. 

It seems to me that some owners here have done this repair under guidance of an A&P with good success.

Clarence

5 hours ago, Sabremech said:

4 hours ago, tangogawd said:

Mooney was not the first, nor the last to utilize a wet wing. Any reputable mechanic should be able to accomplish this.  

I'll agree with both of you. But the evidence seems to suggest that these patch jobs are rarely done right or last very long. I don't know if it's because the job is rushed, the A&P doesn't take the time to do it right or realize how much time it will take? Maybe it's difficult with the limited access through the Mooney access panels, to pinpoint the actual location of the leak? I don't know, but the results don't seem to be as good as they should be if it's truly that simple of a job?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

But the evidence seems to suggest that these patch jobs are rarely done right or last very long. I don't know if it's because the job is rushed, the A&P doesn't take the time to do it right or realize how much time it will take? Maybe it's difficult with the limited access through the Mooney access panels, to pinpoint the actual location of the leak? I don't know, but the results don't seem to be as good as they should be if it's truly that simple of a job?

Part of it is finding the actual location of the leak in the tank--It's rarely where it appears on the outside. And like any glue or paint job, adherence is all in surface prep, and the devil is there in the details . . . . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'll agree with both of you. But the evidence seems to suggest that these patch jobs are rarely done right or last very long. I don't know if it's because the job is rushed, the A&P doesn't take the time to do it right or realize how much time it will take? Maybe it's difficult with the limited access through the Mooney access panels, to pinpoint the actual location of the leak? I don't know, but the results don't seem to be as good as they should be if it's truly that simple of a job?

It sounds from your post that you haven’t been inside a Mooney fuel tank or experienced the access to the tanks, which really makes me question why you think A&P’s can’t handle or do this job right? Don Maxwell has put out a great article in regards to finding nuisance leaks which does make it pretty easy to find and fix. 

38 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

It sounds from your post that you haven’t been inside a Mooney fuel tank or experienced the access to the tanks, which really makes me question why you think A&P’s can’t handle or do this job right? Don Maxwell has put out a great article in regards to finding nuisance leaks which does make it pretty easy to find and fix. 

I'm not sure about making it easy. These methods done right insure a successful outcome. But it is slow and tedious any way you look at it.

15 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I'm not sure about making it easy. These methods done right insure a successful outcome. But it is slow and tedious any way you look at it.

I should edit “easy”. Nothing seems to be easy anymore. 

• Like 2

Any local Las Vegas Mooney A&P's willing to provide a little advice only...regarding my issue.  I'm talking with Top Gun (Stockton), and Advanced Aviation in Troutdale OR but would really appreciate a local eyeball.  Greg @ Advanced was great...long flight for a looksee.  I've gone over the MM and my issue doesn't end in a drip but it does spread a bit from the from the drain hole before it evaporates.  Again, it seems to be with left fuel tank greater than 23-24 gal...at least I noticed it in that state and now that the tank is down around 22-23 gal, it's dry at the drain.

Favorite cocktail(s) on me.

Thanks to all that have replied.

Advanced in Troutdale not able to do a full reseal (if req'd) until early - mid July.  They can do a patch if assessed as sufficient though.