Bendix King Aerovue Touch

PTK

Read on...

“AeroVue Touch is available now for preorder at a list price of $12,590, and the company expects to submit STC documentation to the FAA in July.”

Peter- This is an interesting product as you correctly point out. The problem is that BK has no credibility in the GA market. For years they talked the talk but have not walked the walk. This is another example of a product announcement that “will be certified by X” which never seems to occur. Look at the KNS 770 years late and underwhelming. How about their latest 300 HSI which may get released late as usual but with a limited feature set. Then their is their reliance on rebranded products from other mfg’s. Imagine how that will work if one needs repair and that mfg is no longer around. I’d not give BK a penny until they have produced and shipped a real product and show a track record for the product and its support. You’ve always supported Garmin for good reason and certainly that is a proven company with continual support. Just my rant as I was a big BK supporter for most of my flying career. I just replaced my KLN94 and added ADSB  with Garmin equipment for all the reasons you and others have advocated. It’s a shame they have destroyed their credibility within the GA community but I won’t be back anytime soon. 

Edited by Cris
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don’t undetstand BK. It’s so freaking frustating. They have a freaking habit of announcing freaking products that never freaking make it to freakng production. What’s their freaking problem??!!

Ok I’m freakng done thinking out freaking loud!

• Thanks 1

I've been holding my breath for the Dynon product (SkyView HDX), but honestly at this point I just love seeing competition in the non-TSO MFD/PFD space. BK is a bigger name than Dynon in the certified market (albeit one with seriously deteriorated credibility), and inches us a bit closer to the G3X certified announcement that I keep daydreaming about. 

• Like 3

‘No credibility’ is the most generous of statements ever made regarding BK’s ability to deliver a new product...

2018 BK marketing plan... (recycle 2014’s marketing plan)

1) Announce today... we have a new product...

2) Work up a plan to have a third party avionics company design and build it for them.... 

3) Rebadge something that comes close to the idea from a vendor selling strongly in the market already...

4) Get it to at least two users! That won’t notice the HD screen isn’t really HD by today’s (or yesterday’s) standards...

5) Print a few dozens brochures proclaiming the latest WASS technology... really, WASS?

6) Looking back... how did that KLN94 work out?  The color screen GPS that looked like a touch screen, until it got pressed... pressing it left dead spots in the screen... it was so modern it left out the old connector... the one that would allow the use of modern gpss...

7) That KLN660 got delivered so many years late, nobody noticed the programming isn’t finished yet...

8) BK taught us a new word... Klugey.... an adjective that describes unfinished BK stuff...

9) The latest BK audio panel is now two versions behind the third part manufacturer that builds it...

10) did all the good BK people go to that little start-up company, now known as big G?

11) or are they hanging out at that place called Dynon?

12) Maybe in 2020, they could have Avidyne build an entire panel for them... with a nice BK label...

13) “AeroVue Touch is available now for preorder...” does this clearly state... not available?

A person can get dissapointed after believing the hype and not see it get delivered... ever...

It is just weird seeing another BK product announcement... imagine what a shareholder would think...?

Where is that Honeywell annual report? Do they have a paragraph for BK in there anywhere?

PP thoughts only, nothing but aging BK boxes in my panel...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

‘No credibility’ is the most generous of statements ever made regarding BK’s ability to deliver a new product...

2018 BK marketing plan... (recycle 2014’s marketing plan)

Announce today... we have a new 

Looking back... how did that KLN94 work out?  The color screen GPS that looked like a touch screen, until it got pressed... pressing it left dead spots in the screen... it was so modern it left out the old connector... the one that would allow the use of modern gpss...

That KLN660 got delivered so many years late, nobody noticed the programming isn’t finished yet...

“AeroVue Touch is available now for preorder...” does this clearly state... not available?

A person can get dissapointed after believing the hype and not see it get delivered... ever...

Anthony As usual well said! I am still amazed that owners of the KLN 94 were promised an upgrade path for WASS similar to what Garmin did with their GTN series. Instead they delivered the 770 years late but without consistent updates from the programming group (Aspen). Guess that hasn’t worked to well. As you correctly pointed out the KLN 94 can’t provide GPSS output which was a main reason for me to replace it as well as WASS for my Garmin 345R. I waited for years like you and others for the 770 and look what the marketplace finally got. Another BK broken promise. 

• Like 1

I agree with all that has been said. Just pointing out that they’ve been shipping the Aeroview line for a couple years (eg king air retrofit) I believe, so maybe there is some slight hope that this evolution of a product is possible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cris said:

Anthony As usual well said! I am still amazed that owners of the KLN 94 were promised an upgrade path for WASS similar to what Garmin did with their GTN series. Instead they delivered the 770 years late but without consistent updates from the programming group (Aspen). Guess that hasn’t worked to well. As you correctly pointed out the KLN 94 can’t provide GPSS output which was a main reason for me to replace it as well as WASS for my Garmin 345R. I waited for years like you and others for the 770 and look what the marketplace finally got. Another BK broken promise. 

It's "WAAS". Anthony was properly ridiculing BK for using two Ss in their marketing kits . . . . If the manufacturer doesn't know what they are making, how is it supposed to work? Wide Area Augmentation System

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gsengle said:

I agree with all that has been said. Just pointing out that they’ve been shipping the Aeroview line for a couple years (eg king air retrofit) I believe, so maybe there is some slight hope that this evolution of a product is possible...

The Aerovue for the King Air is an honest to goodness BK product, (i.e. not outsourced and/or rebranded) and was just certified in January of this year. This offers a ray of hope that maybe... just maybe the Aerovue touch will materialize.

• Like 1

The Aerovue for the King Air is an honest to goodness BK product, (i.e. not outsourced and/or rebranded) and was just certified in January of this year. This offers a ray of hope that maybe... just maybe the Aerovue touch will materialize.

Ha thought it was already shipping a while. Me I can’t wait to see progress with the Dynon skyview HDX.

"Future software updates are slated to include engine parameter indications, radios, and autopilot control."

In other words, make it more like Dynon HDX.  The question is, which autopilots?  And how much will that cost?  And in what century?  If you put this in as your primary, you can't install a G5 to run the GFC500 because the G5 has to be primary.  You won't be able to use it with Dynon because Dynon needs to go where this thing does.  Since neither TruTrak nor Trio care about attitude information, either of those would work.  However, neither of those will have electric trim as an option.  I suspect they may eventually work with 40 year old KFC autopilots.

For me personally, I'm not interested.  Now if it provided the option for new lower cost (<$1500 each) servos including electric trim then I'm all ears.  But if I've got to spend $6000/servo forget it.

11 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Ha thought it was already shipping a while. Me I can’t wait to see progress with the Dynon skyview HDX.

The sticking point I have with Dynon is that we have to use their ap and tx. There is no way around this and I’m not about to give up my KFC or GTX345R.

21 hours ago, PTK said:

The sticking point I have with Dynon is that we have to use their ap and tx. There is no way around this and I’m not about to give up my KFC or GTX345R.

You can keep the transponder.  You do not have to use theirs.  ADS-B info from the GTX will not be displayed on the Dynon, but it will still be displayed on your GTN/GNS and tablet.  And if you want ADS-B on the Dynon, I THINK all you need to do is spend a few hundred dollars and install one of their GPS antenna/receivers.

You can keep the transponder.  You do not have to use theirs.  ADS-B info from the GTX will not be displayed on the Dynon, but it will still be displayed on your GTN/GNS and tablet.  And if you want ADS-B on the Dynon, I THINK all you need to do is spend a few hundred dollars and install one of their GPS antenna/receivers.

Most of the displaying capability is a combination of software upgrade and required testing/certification. It depends on who is working with who at the time.

If you look at the Aspen integration, they had working relations with L-3 and FreeFlight. Their software unlock allowed these ADS-B solutions to work immediately. When the Garmin GTX-345 was introduced, it did not but after several months the unlock happened and you can use the Garmin ADS-B solution with Aspens.

What is interesting is the L-3 solution (9000). It works seamlessly with the Aspens but FIS-B does not show up on my GTN. Traffic however does.

I think what will drive the integrations is the markets available to them. If the Dynon’s get certified for our planes and a ton are sold, there will be a scramble from the some of manufacturers to figure out the integration requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Assuming I’m willing to accept to only display traffic on the GTN (I’m not but for discussion purposes,) I’d still need to use their ap. I think the Dynon target market are planes with simple and basic panels for which it’s a path to some modern equipment.

• 2 months later...