Log Review - Knoxville/Crossville, TN

On 5/29/2018 at 5:33 PM, AaronDC8402 said:

I am based in Knoxville also. CSV is about a 30 minute Mooney flight. Sounds like a good excuse for me and @Browncbr1 to go shoot some approaches together.

One of us would be happy to meet the owner and take pictures of the logs.

UPDATE - He was able to get the logs into electronic format (may have taken them somewhere, as I was told to recommend to him).  I sent them to Savvy Aviation to do the log review and look for any red flags.  If no red flags, I will need a pre-buy, which if I can get it done in a timely manner, i will use Savvy to find the mechanic.  However, I may need a recommendation for a mechanic.  I know everyone is busy, but since you offered, if you are in the Crossville area, I would love to have you look at the plane and give an opinion.  I am pretty sold on the plane, but concerned about a few things - the time it took to get the logs, the fact that he didn't copy back to the beginning, I just found out he hasn't had an Oil sample tested, etc.  

On 5/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, Yetti said:

You also might want to order the aircraft history from the FAA.   $15 well spent.   I could see my dad have problems with getting good pictures and sending.  I usually have to do it for him.

Thanks Yetti, I did order them about a month ago.  The only remarkable items were, it was used for a short time as a trainer in Georgia, had a gear up in the '80s, and a gear failure to lock down (another gear up) later in the '80s.  I figured after all of the annuals and an overhaul, etc., I wouldn't be too concerned about them?

With the right app you can get as good of scans with your phone as a desktop scanner and in a fraction of the time.

I use an app called Scanbot on my Iphone, another one is Turboscan but it isn’t as fast but takes slightly better scans.

Edited by glafaille

UPDATE - He was able to get the logs into electronic format (may have taken them somewhere, as I was told to recommend to him).  I sent them to Savvy Aviation to do the log review and look for any red flags.  If no red flags, I will need a pre-buy, which if I can get it done in a timely manner, i will use Savvy to find the mechanic.  However, I may need a recommendation for a mechanic.  I know everyone is busy, but since you offered, if you are in the Crossville area, I would love to have you look at the plane and give an opinion.  I am pretty sold on the plane, but concerned about a few things - the time it took to get the logs, the fact that he didn't copy back to the beginning, I just found out he hasn't had an Oil sample tested, etc.  

Don't worry about gear up's that happened 30+ years ago unless the pre buy shows unrepaired damage which is very unlikely. Mooney gear ups are generally repaired good as new when funded by insurance. But these days most new owners don't insure the vintage Mooneys enough to cover such damage.

Savvy will help with a pre-buy shop after the initial assessment looks favorable enough to continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vance.k said:

I had the same problem when I was looking at a plane. Older seller who was unable/unwilling to scan them. I was pretty interested and traveled to the plane, bought a scanner and took a couple hours at the hotel room getting scans of everything. It had everything back to the beginning of time, so took a few hours.  It would have been impractical to get all of that with a phone (although not all was needed either). I’m glad I took the time to do real scans. I ended up buying that plane and I now refer to the scans more than the digging through the log books when looking for something. 

Phones work great with the right app.

Scanner Pro

https://readdle.com/scannerpro

I've scanned logs back to day one in less than an hour. It scans, crops, and uploads to DropBox for you with almost no input.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kortopates said:

Don't worry about gear up's that happened 30+ years ago unless the pre buy shows unrepaired damage which is very unlikely. Mooney gear ups are generally repaired good as new when funded by insurance. But these days most new owners don't insure the vintage Mooneys enough to cover such damage.

Savvy will help with a pre-buy shop after the initial assessment looks favorable enough to continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I am still waiting to hear about the log inspection.