Log Review - Knoxville/Crossville, TN

Get pdf copies and send them to your own mechanic?

If your looking for professional help with the logs review and counsel throughout the pre-buy process look into doing a pre-buy with SavvyAviation.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Get pdf copies and send them to your own mechanic?

Paul, the current owner is having trouble getting "readable" electronic copies.  He made a complete set of copies, but when I looked at them, and sent them to SAVVY Aviation, after enlarging them, they became unreadable.  The owner is saying that he doesn't want to go through copying again, but said that he would deliver them to a mechanic to have them go through them.  

7 hours ago, kortopates said:

If your looking for professional help with the logs review and counsel throughout the pre-buy process look into doing a pre-buy with SavvyAviation.com

I took your advice and contacted SavvyAviation after you recommended it.  I have been working with Melissa at SavvyAviation, but the electronic logs that I sent to her, weren't readable once enlarged.  Also, SavvyAviation must be VERY busy, because it takes a couple days before they respond to emails.  She said they are busy and they have been working with their current customers??  It is becoming difficult to continue to work with the owner that doesn't know how to get quality electronic copies, and taking two to three days between each communication with Savvy.  I was hoping they could give the log review to determine if there are any red flags, but it is becoming more of a frustrating task to get that done.  This is why I asked for a recommendation for a real mechanic in the area that can physically look at the logs and give me advice.

6 hours ago, Sabremech said:

You can get Mooney Professional service by sending copies of the logs for initial review to D. Maxwell, AGL Aviation or another MSC. 

Sabremech, Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately, the seller has the logs in an electronic format that isn't readable when enlarged.

14 minutes ago, ValkyrieRider said:

I took your advice and contacted SavvyAviation after you recommended it.  I have been working with Melissa at SavvyAviation, but the electronic logs that I sent to her, weren't readable once enlarged.  Also, SavvyAviation must be VERY busy, because it takes a couple days before they respond to emails.  She said they are busy and they have been working with their current customers??  It is becoming difficult to continue to work with the owner that doesn't know how to get quality electronic copies, and taking two to three days between each communication with Savvy.  I was hoping they could give the log review to determine if there are any red flags, but it is becoming more of a frustrating task to get that done.  This is why I asked for a recommendation for a real mechanic in the area that can physically look at the logs and give me advice.

My sympathy's with the unreadable logs and an owner that doesn't want to copy them. This is why some owners shouldn't leave selling their planes to brokers who know how to represent planes with readable logs etc. But that doesn't do you any good.

I just recommend contacting Savvy 8 hrs ago but maybe you beat me too it. I don't have an explanation for the delay, but the office is closed now till Tuesday. (Iam vacation now for the next 10 days). But of course readable logs are prerequisite to doing this and I would think that you would want to start with that before scheduling the pre-buy. I don't know what to say about the owner except that every potential purchaser is going to have the same issue you are so hopefully the owner will come around when you refuse to accept this.

It might be better to send a kid over to meet the owner and make proper copies of the logs. Then you can send the logs to a proper Mooney expert, or Savvy who knows what to look for. I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper as well. Any kid with an iPhone and an App can make it happen. It would be $100 well spent. Then you'll have good copies that even you can read.

Damn! Crossville, TN is as far as you can get from Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga all at the same time.

2 minutes ago, kortopates said:

My sympathy's with the unreadable logs and an owner that doesn't want to copy them. This is why some owners shouldn't leave selling their planes to brokers who know how to represent planes with readable logs etc. But that doesn't do you any good.

I just recommend contacting Savvy 8 hrs ago but maybe you beat me too it. I don't have an explanation for the delay, but the office is closed now till Tuesday. (Iam vacation now for the next 10 days). But of course readable logs are prerequisite to doing this and I would think that you would want to start with that before scheduling the pre-buy. I don't know what to say about the owner except that every potential purchaser is going to have the same issue you are so hopefully the owner will come around when you refuse to accept this.

Thanks.  You and I exchanged email messages, both about Savvy and about instruction in the San Diego area (probably about 3 - 4 weeks ago).  

I will try and talk with the seller again about getting the logs done by someone.  As far as Savvy, i was really interested in using their services, both the initial log review and the recommendation to quality mechanics for PPI.  

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

It might be better to send a kid over to meet the owner and make proper copies of the logs. Then you can send the logs to a proper Mooney expert, or Savvy who knows what to look for. I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper as well. Any kid with an iPhone and an App can make it happen. It would be $100 well spent. Then you'll have good copies that even you can read.

Damn! Crossville, TN is as far as you can get from Knoxville, Nashville, and Chattanooga all at the same time.

gsxrpilot - good advice.  I plan on calling the seller again tomorrow and make that recommendation.  I would gladly pay the price, because I feel I have been messing with this for almost a month now.  I expected to have the plane purchased and in Phoenix already.  

3 minutes ago, ValkyrieRider said:

gsxrpilot - good advice.  I plan on calling the seller again tomorrow and make that recommendation.  I would gladly pay the price, because I feel I have been messing with this for almost a month now.  I expected to have the plane purchased and in Phoenix already.  

Yeah either have him take the logs to Kinkos/OfficeMax/etc. instead of an A&P and have them scanned properly. Or it might be quicker if you tracked someone down in Crossville to go by and pick up the logs, get them scanned, and done.

Hope it all works out for you.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ValkyrieRider said:

Thanks.  You and I exchanged email messages, both about Savvy and about instruction in the San Diego area (probably about 3 - 4 weeks ago).  

I will try and talk with the seller again about getting the logs done by someone.  As far as Savvy, i was really interested in using their services, both the initial log review and the recommendation to quality mechanics for PPI.  

Send me a PM with your name and I'll ask someone to look into the difficulty you were having with the poor response time at Savvy. That's not good, we're usually very responsive. 

I have been known to call the local FBO and pay one of the more tech savy line guys to take pictures of the logbooks.

I’m not really sure why sellers are unable to figure out how to take pictures of logbooks with their phones.  It takes all of 20 min or so to copy all the logs for a 50 year old airplane.  The guy is smart enough to fly the plane but not take pictures with a phone, amazing.

This is one of the things that makes purchasing an aircraft so difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not show up where the airplane is, take some cell phone photos of the relevant pages in the logs, and E-mail them to whoever is supposed to look them over?  In the grand scheme of things it seems like a no brainer.

It may, but a buyer generally wants to do as much research about a potential acquisition in order to downselect to the plane(s) he/she is willing to travel too. Nobody is in a better position than the seller to provide plenty of detailed pictures and logs than the seller. Otherwise I would suspect the seller is not motivated and would move on.

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

It may, but a buyer generally wants to do as much research about a potential acquisition in order to downselect to the plane(s) he/she is willing to travel too. Nobody is in a better position than the seller to provide plenty of detailed pictures and logs than the seller. Otherwise I would suspect the seller is not motivated and would move on.

I was part of an airplane deal (happened at my home airport).  The seller wanted to sell, but was a bit clueless how to go about it.  The number of people who can't photograph something with a camera, no less  smart phone, is staggering.

I was part of an airplane deal (happened at my home airport).  The seller wanted to sell, but was a bit clueless how to go about it.  The number of people who can't photograph something with a camera, no less  smart phone, is staggering.

So very true and all the more reason why many sellers should be using a broker. Maybe there is some minimum value before a broker is willing to represent a plane; but if so I am unaware. So if a seller wants to save the broker fee to sell on there own they need to do some work IMO.

I had the same problem when I was looking at a plane. Older seller who was unable/unwilling to scan them. I was pretty interested and traveled to the plane, bought a scanner and took a couple hours at the hotel room getting scans of everything. It had everything back to the beginning of time, so took a few hours.  L

It would have been impractical to get all of that with a phone (although not all was needed either). I’m glad I took the time to do real scans. I ended up buying that plane and I now refer to the scans more than the digging through the log books when looking for something. 

V—

• Like 1