Landing Gear Advise M20F Electric

After a very pleasurable discussion with Maxwell, he advised me to create a post for advice on landing gear issues.

1. Looking for a company or person that makes the 2 landing gear torque tools.  If there is someone out there that no longer needs theres or recommendations on a company that sells them for a reasonable price.

2. Where can I find a manual gear down cable?  The one I am looking for is the larger cable that comes from the manual crank.  The one I have has corrosion at the gear end but spins and functions well.

3. The gear down switch in the cabin is a locking 2 position switch and very heavy duty but does not have the large white circle handle.  Is this a cap that snaps or screws on to the large switch?

4.  The gear functions well but there is a lot of grease around the screw gear and wonder if I should remove the motor and gear clean and re grease?

5. FLAP Question:  Where can I find a kit to replace the o'rings in the rear actuator?  Or can I remove and replace with a fitted o'ring from bench stock?  

6. More to follow.

Thanks

TC

It never hurts to clean and repack the actuator. I assume it is a Dukes. It allows you the opportunity to inspect the gears. If they don't look pristine I would think about replacing them. It needs to be packed with moly grease. You can get the moly powder from Rose Mill. Make sure you keep track of the shims in the gears, or understand why they are there and what they do so you can get the gears to line up.

I will clean the screw in the parts washer until no more black comes out while working it through its range of travel. Let it compleatly dry than put a light coat of moly grease on the screw and work it in until it feels smooth through its whole range. If you must too much grease on the screw the balls will stop circulating and the screw will just rotate on the balls. That is bad.

Where to get your moly powder:

http://www.rosemill.com/product_p/bem-molysf-1.htm

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Switch round thing.   I believe most are alum painted with with a set screw to fit on the switch.   I believe we have found the switch on Mouser or Digikey.

The pinon gears on the emergency actuator cable do not seem to be a stock item that I could find.

I wrote a post on landing gear actuators.  It is helpful to know if Dukes or ITT

I don't believe the actuator should have grease on the outside of it.  But you said screw are you sure you are not talking about the trim screw to the right of it?

Edited by Yetti

10 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Switch round thing.   I believe most are alum painted with with a set screw to fit on the switch.   I believe we have found the switch on Mouser or Digikey.

The pinon gears on the emergency actuator cable do not seem to be a stock item that I could find.

I wrote a post on landing gear actuators.  It is helpful to know if Dukes or ITT

I don't believe the actuator should have grease on the outside of it.  But you said screw are you sure you are not talking about the trim screw to the right of it?

Someone found the gear selector knob on mouser or digikey? I would love to have a link for this.

4 hours ago, all4thekidz said:

Looking for a company or person that makes the 2 landing gear torque tools.  If there is someone out there that no longer needs theres or recommendations on a company that sells them for a reasonable price

@SabremechI believe sells the gear tools you are looking for.

I make and sell the landing gear rigging tools. For the electric gear, you only need the main gear tool. I sell that for $150 + shipping. For the set of gear tools, I sell them for $245 + shipping.

Thanks,

David

Great responses. Thank you.

1. After checking around It appears a guy I work with at the flightline also has a Mooney and will loan his set to check the torque.  thanks Dave your prices for new are the best I have been quoted.

2.  After a few calls I determined I will send my throttle and Prop cables  off to MacFarlane to have them duplicated.

Idea: What is the chance that they also make the manual gear down cable????

3.  I will continue to search for the cap to screw on to my Landing gear switch in the meantime it works just fine.

4. Great information on the gear and will take another look to make sure I was not visualizing the wrong actuator as the Trim.

11 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I make and sell the landing gear rigging tools. For the electric gear, you only need the main gear tool. I sell that for $150 + shipping. For the set of gear tools, I sell them for $245 + shipping.

Thanks,

David

They are very well made; I got mine from Sabre

• Like 1