New Mooney Driver

dfischer1

Hello All, I am in the process of purchasing my first Mooney. A '79 M20K 231 that has been sitting here for sale at my local airport (1T7) for over a year. Sounds bad but as you may know 1T7 is the home of All American Aircraft so I get to see a lot of beautiful mooneys come and go. This one has the looks, the maintenance logs and engine upgrades but lacks in the avionics department. Which I believe is the reason it has been sitting for so long. After discussing the plane at length with the on field mechanic, I decided to take the plunge and put a contract on it. I have to say, after flying the past two years in the training/rental planes and then my own C-172rg, this thing is amazing to fly and unless something ridiculous comes up in the pre-buy...it will be mine. I plan to fly it with the lacking panel as-is for the time being and then sell one of my other toys (39 Ford w/blown 502...hit me up for pics if your interested) to invest in the avionics. Anyway, that's my story and I'm glad to be here.

Thanks,

df

• Like 5

Congratulations! The 231 is going to be a lot to handle coming from the Cutlass. But you'll get there and the journey will be fun, but don't rush the transition training - it's going to take awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard df...

All American is a great resource...

Often people go to an independent resource for pre-purchase inspections...

This is a method of limiting the risk of buying a used plane...

Are you knowledgeable of the PPI and what it does?

Need a recommendation?

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Congratulations! The 231 is going to be a lot to handle coming from the Cutlass. But you'll get there and the journey will be fun, but don't rush the transition training - it's going to take awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I’m hearing. I’m excited for the challenge!!!! Thanks for the advice!

1 hour ago, dfischer1 said:

Hello All, I am in the process of purchasing my first Mooney. A '79 M20K 231 that has been sitting here for sale at my local airport (1T7) for over a year. Sounds bad but as you may know 1T7 is the home of All American Aircraft so I get to see a lot of beautiful mooneys come and go. This one has the looks, the maintenance logs and engine upgrades but lacks in the avionics department. Which I believe is the reason it has been sitting for so long. After discussing the plane at length with the on field mechanic, I decided to take the plunge and put a contract on it. I have to say, after flying the past two years in the training/rental planes and then my own C-172rg, this thing is amazing to fly and unless something ridiculous comes up in the pre-buy...it will be mine. I plan to fly it with the lacking panel as-is for the time being and then sell one of my other toys (39 Ford w/blown 502...hit me up for pics if your interested) to invest inIf that's the silver 231 I am thinking of the avionics. Anyway, that's my story and I'm glad to be here.

Thanks,

df

If that's the silver 231 that I am thinking of at least it has the Merlyn wastegate and the intercooler which are great to have on the 231. Back in 1993 I traded my 172rg on a Mooney 231 - huge upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

It's official! I'm the proud owner of N231BZ! We flew 3 hrs the first day and all I kept saying was "man, I love this airplane". I can't wait to get her up high and do some serious traveling. Thanks to everyone for the support! ...I think I'm a Mooniac...

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, dfischer1 said:

It's official! I'm the proud owner of N231BZ! We flew 3 hrs the first day and all I kept saying was "man, I love this airplane". I can't wait to get her up high and do some serious traveling. Thanks to everyone for the support! ...I think I'm a Mooniac...

Woohoooo!!!