ADS B Report

laytonl

Does anyone know how to interpret the FAA ADSB report?  I looked at their user guide but it wasn't much help.  What is the error telling me? I only did a short, low altitude test flight after the ADS B install today, so I may not have enough  data.  This is for a CItabria and I didn't get above 1,000'.  Lee

ADS B Report.PNG

Which transponder?  If it was a GTX345, be sure to turn it on by pressing the ALT button not the ON button.  If you push ON it won't report altitude which appears to be the problem.  You could also press ON and then later press the ALT button but it makes more sense to just press ALT.

Your failure looks like something is not configured or turned on correctly.  I'd contact your shop or the manufacturer before attempting another flight to ensure it's set up properly.

For the flight:

Needs to be a 30 minute flight in ADSB airspace including approximately the following - I'd suggest finding out the exact rules by searching for them online.

I was in touch with Potomac Approach on flight following and the controller had done "many" of them, and guided me through.

1.  Get into ADSB space.  

2.  Fly Straight and level for a few minutes

3.  Do a standard rate 360 degree turn to the left and then fly straight for a few minutes.

4.  Do a standard rate 360 turn to the right and fly straight for a few minutes

5.  Climb at least 2000 feet at your best rate in a straight line

6.  Level off and then perform another two standard degree 360 degree turns with pauses in straight and level flight following each one

7.  Descend at 500 FPM for at least 2000 feet in a straight line

That's all I needed.  I did have an issue with failure on ground, and to combat that I taxied with avionics off to a spot away from the hangers on the apron near the runway.  I turned on my avionics and waited a few minutes until evenrything was booted up and I knew I had good GPS signal.  I taxied very slowly out to the runway, took off, did the flight, came back, taxied VERY slowly back to the same spot on the apron, turned off avionics, and then taxied back to my hanger - every thing passed.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

6 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

You need to fly in airspace that requires ADSB for at least 30min with climbs, decents, turns, and various speeds. There are details out there, but that's the gist of it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Seth said:

Your failure looks like something is not configured or turned on correctly.  I'd contact your shop or the manufacturer before attempting another flight to ensure it's set up properly.

For the flight:

Needs to be a 30 minute flight in ADSB airspace including approximately the following - I'd suggest finding out the exact rules by searching for them online.

I was in touch with Potomac Approach on flight following and the controller had done "many" of them, and guided me through.

1.  Get into ADSB space.  

2.  Fly Straight and level for a few minutes

3.  Do a standard rate 360 degree turn to the left and then fly straight for a few minutes.

4.  Do a standard rate 360 turn to the right and fly straight for a few minutes

5.  Climb at least 2000 feet at your best rate in a straight line

6.  Level off and then perform another two standard degree 360 degree turns with pauses in straight and level flight following each one

7.  Descend at 500 FPM for at least 2000 feet in a straight line

That's all I needed.  I did have an issue with failure on ground, and to combat that I taxied with avionics off to a spot away from the hangers on the apron near the runway.  I turned on my avionics and waited a few minutes until evenrything was booted up and I knew I had good GPS signal.  I taxied very slowly out to the runway, took off, did the flight, came back, taxied VERY slowly back to the same spot on the apron, turned off avionics, and then taxied back to my hanger - every thing passed.

-Seth

I'm pretty sure all these requirements were related to the $500 rebate.  With the rebate off the table there is no need to fly all of these maneuvers.

2 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

I'm pretty sure all these requirements were related to the $500 rebate.  With the rebate off the table there is no need to fly all of these maneuvers.

Yeah, I've had ADS-B for almost 6 years. There was a simple email procedure to check that system was working. as I recall there was not much special about the past flights that they looked at.

If you review the ADS/B website you'll see they publish a circular or article on all the errors and their meaning and suggest you look there.

Incidentally,  the GTX-345 automatically switches to Altitude mode using the airspeed source (airspeed switch or GPS ground speed) set up per the installer. 

I failed mine because some of my flight was outside of ADSB airspace. This was for the rebate. I emailed the FAA and they approved the flight within 10 minuets.

there is no more rebate so it is just for your information. If you can see the flight on Flight Aware and they are ADSB data with no gaps, then you are in good shape.

If I remember you needed to do 1/2 hour with at least one 360 in each direction and 1000 ft climb and descent.

Thanks guys.  I flew again today at a higher altitude and the data was perfect.  

On my flight yesterday I only flew at 1,000’ since it’s only a few miles from the airport to my house, however, I’m inside the ATL class B airspace so I thought it might pick it up.  Today’s flight was at 2,500 feet for about 30 minutes.  

The  Appaero ESG seems like a good Transponder/ADSB combination and certainly cheaper than the GDL88/Flightstream combo in my Mooney.

lee

If anybody has these kind of questions in the future, all possible errors are explained in the FAA's "Public ADS/B Performance Report (PAPR) Users Guide" available on the web.

This one was an altitude issue per the guide.

• Like 1