1969 Dimmer Control Needed

What's wrong with the one you have?

Usually, it's just the pricey little fusses that need replacing.  If there's a reason one of them blew, a new dimmer panel will also fail.

Find the issue before you plug the new unit in.

I have the schematic for that box someplace.  Bill Wheat himself sent it to me.  If you or someone you know wants to trouble shoot and repair it send me a PM. I"ll see if I can find it.

I also have spares parts for every competent if you have trouble finding what you need.

Cheers,

Dan

As it happens I'm having trouble with my 1970 E dimmer unit, too.  Welcome any suggestions/comments.

Everything in the unit functions except the panel lights do not come on at all when I rotate the dimmer/switch.  At one time I could see a very faint light coming from behind the panel when I turned the rotary dimmer switch on.   But now I don't even see that. 

Is it likely a problem with the dimmer/switch?  Or just a fuse or resistor/capacitor that is part of the assembly?  I've checked with Mooney and apparently the unit is not longer available, so I'm likely looking at finding a used unit somewhere or repairing mine, and to be honest, I'm not sure where to start.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Update: I just saw @Aerodon's post regarding max pulse/maxdim units.  So there is an alternate replacement option if repair is difficult?

-Sia

Edited by SkyTrekker

• 1 month later...

Freemason - I have the light test/dimmer switch in my ‘69 Mooney just like in the faux wood dash picture! The light for the high output is not working. Any idea where to start? I got it to work once but I moved the box and I can’t get it to work again. Short somewhere?