Tempest fine wire - issues

Yetti

53 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Good afternoon,

My name is John Herman and I am VP Sales & Marketing with Tempest Aero Group.  I apologize that you had an issue related to our fine wire plugs.  I believe this to be an isolated case, however, we take all cases such as this very seriously.  We strive to manufacture the highest quality products possible and therefore if there is an issue such as this we want to know about it and investigate to assure it never happens again.  In cases like this, it can be one or several factors that caused the problem and to the best of our ability, we will examine the plug and operating environment to determine the root cause.

Please contact me at john@tempestaero.com and we will discuss an arrangement to get the plug sent back to us, as well as send you a set of replacement plugs at no charge as a customer courtesy.

Again, we are dedicated to manufacturing quality products and providing a great customer experience.  I apologize that we have not met these standards in your eyes, but you have my word we will do everything possible to rectify the situation.

Best regards,

John

Hi John   Thanks for reaching out.   I left a voicemail and will be shooting you and email soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Looks like FAKE NEWS to me. There is no way a 6'8" Yetti can have a max heart rate of less than 150 during a state of distress! Probably had it attached to his sleeping dog.

it was 145 doing a walk in the heat this morning....   My resting is around 55.  

The guy that was with me said he thought we were closer to the field on downwind than the track I drew.   I recall wanting to be close if it went worse again.    I recall it being one of the shortest finals I have done.  Power off 180 practice is a good thing. 

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, David Herman said:

I think John must be a sharp, intelligent and honest guy,

. With a last name like that ... he’s got very good pedigree!

David, I understand your identification with John... how are you related to Pee-wee? :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Yetti said:

I would be interested to know about what date you purchased yours.

@Yetti I bought mine from Spruce in August of 16...

8 hours ago, Mike Ropers said:

You may want to bore-scope that cylinder - albeit small, that electrode had to go somewhere - hopefully it was a graceful exit out the exhaust 

+1 for  the bore-scope... I did mine to ensure the electrode was not still in the cylinder and could tell that it had been loose in there before exiting. Fortunately, my electrode loss occurred on the ground while testing out the newly installed EDM-900. The plugs were out in September of 17 for annual  and cleaning them was not necessary.

Per the data people here is the control HR logging sample for Tuesday on the flight out to Midland.  There were 2 take offs first about 1:00PM second TO about 2:16 pm

Regular takeoffs on Tuesday were around 90bpm and stressful take offs on Wed are about 100.    Pushing the plane back into the parking spot was the peak at about 120

presparkHR.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Herman said:

ya ya ... laugh it up ... isn’t PeeWee’s REAL name Paul Rubens ... or something like that? That clown ruined my family name ...  

The first movie was awesome.  ;)

Per the data people here is the control HR logging sample for Tuesday on the flight out to Midland.  There were 2 take offs first about 1:00PM second TO about 2:16 pm
Regular takeoffs on Tuesday were around 90bpm and stressful take offs on Wed are about 100.    Pushing the plane back into the parking spot was the peak at about 120
presparkHR.png.1677a746e66579ccfb6861149fd9942d.png

Since you're sharing your HR stats I gotta ask what you do for cardio exercise to stay fit. I love a great cardio workout myself and mountain bike to maintain mine as well as rock climbing. Good for you in keeping fit since Pilots have to stay fit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started with riding the MS150 around 1998.  Progressed to some racing mtn bikes and cyclocross around 2000 to 2008.  I used to be able to do 100 miles on the road no problem.  I did Ride the Rockies and RAGBRAI in consecutive years.    The year I did Ride the Rockies (highly suggested ride) I put 12,000 miles on the road bike.   Most mtn bike racers learn that they have to do the road miles to get better.

Interesting side note, the Yetti name comes from a road ride where people were drafting behind me.   One person said it it like drafting behind a Sasquatch.  I replied with Oh no I am the Yetti and we are from the northern tribe, we don't associate with the southern cousins.

Most people say it is more like drafting behind a city bus.

These days I do more walks and some gravel riding.

This would be folks sucking off the yetti draft in Durango

drafting.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yetti said:

presparkHR.png

here was mine for my first real wheel to wheel car race.  yes thats two hours. 

IMG_3288.jpg

• Like 1

My first sewing experience was to create a yetti costume for a Halloween dress up event.  so $200 of faux fur later.  I had become the yetti.  It's pretty good for scaring kids at different times of the year.

yettimed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Yetti said:

My first sewing experience was to create a yetti costume for a Halloween dress up event.  so $200 of faux fur later.  I had become the yetti.  It's pretty good for scaring kids at different times of the year.

yettimed.jpg

Looks like Mrs. Yetti is pretty tall too!

19 minutes ago, Piloto said:

I prefer the massive electrode plugs. Rugged and reliable, no spot welded skinny electrodes, but machined rugged electrodes. 

José

I prefer fine wire plugs. They perform much better - resisting fouling, more consistent resistance - require less maintenance (cleaning between annuals, unlikely to require gapping) and cost less per operating hour based on average life.  

• Like 1

One of my current theories is that the engine stumble was caused when the center electrode tip parted ways with the core and then shorted to the ground electrode for a brief moment.  The bottom plug was still a bit fouled with being too rich.  The tip fell the rest of the way out and then one or both plugs started firing a bit, bringing the cylinder back online kind of.

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I prefer fine wire plugs. They perform much better - resisting fouling, more consistent resistance - require less maintenance (cleaning between annuals, unlikely to require gapping) and cost less per operating hour based on average life.  

Try the Tempest massive. They perform and last the same as the fine wire for one third the cost. I did the test on my IO-360. However cannot say the same about the Champion massive. They use to foul, build carbon deposit and wear quicker. I  was very much impress with the Tempest massive. Unlike the Champions I notice no roughness or RPM differential on runup with the Tempest massive after 900 hours in use.

José

Edited by Piloto

I don’t see how sophisticated your test was, but fine wire plugs will go quite a bit leaner from peak before any vibration occurs, foul far less often,  require a simple cleaning with a piece of safety wire every 50hr instead of sand blasting, and last over 2000hr.  There’s even some folks that think they produce marginally more HP due to an unshrouded spark lighting off the charge more  consistently. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2018 at 2:54 PM, Tempest said:

Good afternoon,

My name is John Herman and I am VP Sales & Marketing with Tempest Aero Group.  I apologize that you had an issue related to our fine wire plugs.  I believe this to be an isolated case, however, we take all cases such as this very seriously.  We strive to manufacture the highest quality products possible and therefore if there is an issue such as this we want to know about it and investigate to assure it never happens again.  In cases like this, it can be one or several factors that caused the problem and to the best of our ability, we will examine the plug and operating environment to determine the root cause.

Please contact me at john@tempestaero.com and we will discuss an arrangement to get the plug sent back to us, as well as send you a set of replacement plugs at no charge as a customer courtesy.

Again, we are dedicated to manufacturing quality products and providing a great customer experience.  I apologize that we have not met these standards in your eyes, but you have my word we will do everything possible to rectify the situation.

Best regards,

John

John, your kindness does not go unnoticed. With this kind of support, I'm about to order a set of finewires myself.

• Like 1