Trio Pro Pilot

I need a new autopilot - my Century II is not holding heading on a consistent basis and I'd rather put the $$ into a new system than troubleshoot the old (and I mean old!).  I'm sure others of you are others in the same boat.  Is anyone considering the Trio?  Has anyone offered their plane for the Trio test program?  I'm not sure which of the current non-certified systems will be certified for the Mooney first (Garmin, Trio, Dynon).  What are others doing in this situation?

August

231MJ

I get emails from Trio once every so often asking for 40-50 Mooney owners to sign up so they can add the STC to for the Mooney. They want $11k all in. If you ask me that price point is way too high to ask for volunteers. I am looking at the Trr Trak system, $5000 plus installation. 

23 minutes ago, N6758N said:

I get emails from Trio once every so often asking for 40-50 Mooney owners to sign up so they can add the STC to for the Mooney. They want $11k all in. If you ask me that price point is way too high to ask for volunteers. I am looking at the Trr Trak system, $5000 plus installation. 

I received that same email had had those same thoughts. I am not looking for something free from Trio but to be a test plane I would have thought the number should have come in a little lower. I guess if they don't get anyone to volunteer they will either move on from the Mooney or lower their price point until someone decides to give them a test plane.

6 hours ago, 231MJ said:

I'm not sure which of the current non-certified systems will be certified for the Mooney first (Garmin, Trio, Dynon).  What are others doing in this situation?

August

231MJ

I gave TruTrak a call a few weeks ago.  They were hoping to have their autopilot approved by Oshkosh.  No promises, just hoping.

I think Garmin is probably 6 to 18 months away yet because they've listed the Mooney as starting to test in the next 12 month for about 6 months now.  If they started tomorrow it might be as little as 6 months.  If they start in 6 months, it could be 6 to 12 months after that.

I've heard (or read) nothing from Trio.

Just guessing.

• Like 1

Yep I am waiting for TruTrak as well, based on their current offerings it looks like it will be full featured, $5000 for the unit and 20-25hrs for the install so hopefully $7k installed.  As soon as one is available for Mooneys it will be in my J and I will give a PIREP on the install and flight features.  I am also a dealer for TruTrak and will make my J available for demos when it is installed.  If you would like you can PM me or Email me at wolfaviation@cox.net your contact info and I will contact you when its in my plane.

I can't wait for this A/P!! I will be able to replace my Century III that hits me for around $1k every two years, have more features and less clutter!  

I'd be happy to put either the Trio or the Tru Trak in my C. The latest email from Trio, looking for 40+ commitments from the Mooney community, was a little vague. How much is the deposit? What is the price including the STC? Any restrictions unique to the M20 series? Put me in the "very interested" column but I'm not ready to pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Chris from PA said:

I'd be happy to put either the Trio or the Tru Trak in my C. The latest email from Trio, looking for 40+ commitments from the Mooney community, was a little vague. How much is the deposit? What is the price including the STC? Any restrictions unique to the M20 series? Put me in the "very interested" column but I'm not ready to pull the trigger.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

They want the full $11k up front, and that covers everything. 

23 hours ago, 231MJ said:

I need a new autopilot - my Century II is not holding heading on a consistent basis

Is this happening when tracking VOR/GPS and the bug on the DG?  I had to replace my DG as the "bug" wasn't working with my old Century II.  I'll probably be going with a G5 next time the DG goes out and then hopefully hold off for the garmin autopilot.

15 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

Is this happening when tracking VOR/GPS and the bug on the DG?  I had to replace my DG as the "bug" wasn't working with my old Century II.  I'll probably be going with a G5 next time the DG goes out and then hopefully hold off for the garmin autopilot.

I'm thinking about holding off for the Garmin as well and just going with a complete Garmin system including a GTN-650 and ADS-B solutions. It should make it easier for everything to play nicely. I've got a little time before any of that happens so my thinking may change. Depending on the Garmin autopilot price, I'm also very interested in the TruTrak option.

The difference between the Trio and TruTrak prices is enough for a lot of other work to be done.

• Like 1