Sabre Cowl Gen2

Sabremech

Brad,

Are you referring to Rogue’s new Missile, that gets a K cowling to cover the big bore six IO550...

Part of the STC to put the IO550 on the J... includes the new motor mount and the longer existing Mooney cowl...

PP thoughts only, not a Rocket historian...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 6:03 AM, NJMac said:

How do I get my name in line for a unit?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Contact David at www.gdsaero.com or thru this site he goes by Sabremech

Clarence 

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Brad,

Are you referring to Rogue’s new Missile, that gets a K cowling to cover the big bore six IO550...

Part of the STC to put the IO550 on the J... includes the new motor mount and the longer existing Mooney cowl...

PP thoughts only, not a Rocket historian...

Best regards,

-a-

I’m not trying to be pedantic Anthony but these are the cylinder specs of the of the Lyc IO360 and the “Big Bore” IO550 that replaces it when converted to a missle. Lycoming 360 cylinder bores are within fractions of an inch of any of the big sixes. In the case of the 550 the bore is just .125 inches bigger than a 360..

IO360

• Bore: 5.125 in (130 mm)
  • Stroke: 4.375 in (111 mm)
  • Displacement: 90.25 in³ (1.48 L)

IO550

• Bore: 5.25 in (133.4 mm)
  • Stroke: 4.25 in (108.0 mm)
  • Displacement: 92 in³ (1.507 L)

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I’m not trying to be pedantic Anthony but these are the cylinder specs of the of the Lyc IO360 and the “Big Bore” IO550 that replaces it when converted to a missle. Lycoming 360 cylinder bores are within fractions of an inch of any of the big sixes. In the case of the 550 the bore is just .125 inches bigger than a 360..

IO360

• Bore: 5.125 in (130 mm)
  • Stroke: 4.375 in (111 mm)
  • Displacement: 90.25 in³ (1.48 L)

IO550

• Bore: 5.25 in (133.4 mm)
  • Stroke: 4.25 in (108.0 mm)
  • Displacement: 92 in³ (1.507 L)

Thanks Ross!

I struggled with the writing of that post...

It was supposed to focus on the extra pair of cylinders more than the dimension of the cylinders themselves... :)

Doing the math real quick... that’s a 9 liter engine under there...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Thanks Ross!

I struggled with the writing of that post...

It was supposed to focus on the extra pair of cylinders more than the dimension of the cylinders themselves... :)

Doing the math real quick... that’s a 9 liter engine under there...

Best regards,

-a-

I get it. I wasn’t meaning to pick on you!  It’s a term I hear and see used so often when comparing 4 cylinder to 6 cylinders. In some cases it makes sense (small displacement fours or the Continental IO360 compared to everything else). However, with regard to our aircraft, the only model that gets a true big bore conversion is the K model to Rocket. There are a number of “big bore” engines with bores measuring in the neighborhood of 5 inches. The Lyc IO360 is one of them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, spectre6573 said:

Anything new here to torture us with?

Not yet, but very soon. I expect my first sets of cowlings this month. Pictures to be posted as soon as the first set is pulled from the molds.

Thanks,

David

• Like 11

On 8/24/2019 at 5:09 AM, Shadrach said:

I get it. I wasn’t meaning to pick on you!  It’s a term I hear and see used so often when comparing 4 cylinder to 6 cylinders. In some cases it makes sense (small displacement fours or the Continental IO360 compared to everything else). However, with regard to our aircraft, the only model that gets a true big bore conversion is the K model to Rocket. There are a number of “big bore” engines with bores measuring in the neighborhood of 5 inches. The Lyc IO360 is one of them. 

Ross, thanks for posting this. The first time I heard the term "Big Bore" was at an APS seminar in Ada back around 2007. At the time, I figured it was just Bonanza guys trying to make their engines seem big. It never made sense to me because as you point out, the Lycoming 4 banger has about the same bore as the big Continentals. But now I think I get it. APS is pretty Continental-centric (APS is an outgrowth of GAMI and the injectors were designed to fix a problem most prevalent in Continentals) and the big Continental engines do have a larger bore compared to the Continental IO-360.

Or, maybe someone has a better explanation....

Skip

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 8:50 AM, Mcstealth said:

Hey SBM, what is total potential market for your product? How many planes "could" be potential candidates? 

The potential market is any 4 cylinder Mooney. I don’t have any idea of an actual number. 
David

22 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

The potential market is any 4 cylinder Mooney. I don’t have any idea of an actual number. 
David

Marketing department requested change “any 4 cylinder Mooney” => “all 4 cylinder Mooney aircraft” 

Still crossing my fingers I can jam my TN o-360 in the new cowling. 

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

David

I think a lot will depend on getting word out about your product. People throw big money at speed mods, and I'm sure this delivers.  It also adds cooler CHTs and a more modern look. I think you have quite a large potential market. 

I have a 68 M20F and as long as it will fit, I am very interested in this new cowling, especially if it is lighter.  Old girl can always stand to lose a few pounds.  I really hope I can get this before I send the plane off to get painted which I plan to do in 2020.

13 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Marketing department requested change “any 4 cylinder Mooney” => “all 4 cylinder Mooney aircraft” 

Still crossing my fingers I can jam my TN o-360 in the new cowling. 

If I can keep my cowling priced right, I think it’s going to be a successful project. I won’t get them all that’s why I chose any. 
David