Sabre Cowl Gen2

Sabremech

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Hi Igor_U,

I do plan to be at Oshkosh and will bring a cowling with me. I’ll plan to bring it to the Mooneyspace gathering that is typically held one night at Osh. My little company is called GDS Aero and I don’t currently have the new cowling on my website until it’s further along.

Thank you,

David

And there will be at least 1 example of SabreCowl Gen 1 parked in the Caravan North 40 field. :rolleyes:  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

And there will be at least 1 example of SabreCowl Gen 1 parked in the Caravan North 40 field. :rolleyes:  

Oh yeah, that sad looking little E with bad paint and an outdated panel...Wait did you miss a chance to post pictures :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, 65eTurbo said:

Btw, just came across the Sabre cowl write up in a mapa log from a decade ago.  Will need to post specifics of the before and after speed data.

Huh? Don’t think it’s my cowling if it’s from a decade ago. 

David

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Huh? Don’t think it’s my cowling if it’s from a decade ago. 

David

This really threw me as well. I’ve been watching this thread religiously and knew things had fallen a bit behind schedule but had no idea that you been working on it for ten years!:mellow:

Edited by Shadrach
Talk to text has a studder

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

This really threw me as well. I’ve been watching this thread religiously and new things and follow bit behind schedule but had no idea that you been working on for nine yearsThis really threw me as well. I’ve been watching this thread religiously and knew things had fallen a bit behind schedule but had no idea that you been working on it for ten years!:mellow:

I’m a little over 3 years in the project. 

Thanks 

David

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, Sabremech said:

Hi Igor_U,

I do plan to be at Oshkosh and will bring a cowling with me. I’ll plan to bring it to the Mooneyspace gathering that is typically held one night at Osh. My little company is called GDS Aero and I don’t currently have the new cowling on my website until it’s further along.

Thank you,

David

@Sabremech Just wondering if the sabre cowl made it to Oshkosh? Any new pictures or updates?

Thanks,

Oscar

42 minutes ago, Oscar M20E said:

@Sabremech Just wondering if the sabre cowl made it to Oshkosh? Any new pictures or updates?

Thanks,

Oscar

Hi Oscar, 

The new cowling did not make it to Osh this year. It’s very close and I’ll be visiting Knots2U tomorrow to check on it. Last time I visited 2 weeks ago the upper cowling plug was complete and a mold was going to be made. The lower cowling wasn’t quite ready to make the plug, but I anticipate it will be ready soon if not done. The cowlings will contain more carbon than I initially thought as the price to have a greater percentage of carbon wasn’t that much more than using an extra layer of fiberglass. It will definitely be lighter. 

I will post pictures of the first cowling set as soon as they are finished. This cowling set is slated for Marauders airplane as he’s been patiently waiting and opted for my second version. 

Thank you,

David

• Like 8

On 7/30/2019 at 4:37 PM, Sabremech said:

This cowling set is slated for Marauders airplane as he’s been patiently waiting and opted for my second version. 

Thank you,

David

Oh great. Now he will have ANOTHER reason to post pictures. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I saw the latest O cowling in KOSH... got to pick it up... then started calculating my running speed... :)

Complete carbon fiber construction... extra light.

If somebody needs/wants to add lightness... carbon fiber may make an excellent cost/benefit discussion...

In some cases, the lighter the cowl, some extra weight can be taken out of the back...   

anyone want to put their battery back up front, with shorter copper cables?

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/2/2019 at 12:23 AM, carusoam said:

I saw the latest O cowling in KOSH... got to pick it up... then started calculating my running speed... :)

Complete carbon fiber construction... extra light.

If somebody needs/wants to add lightness... carbon fiber may make an excellent cost/benefit discussion...

In some cases, the lighter the cowl, some extra weight can be taken out of the back...   

anyone want to put their battery back up front, with shorter copper cables?

Best regards,

-a-

Do you have a picture? 

Sorry David, didn’t think to take pics while in the booth...  :)

It was surprisingly light compared to my cowl that I only take the top half off... every now and then...

It was a shiny black monolith, outside on the carpet...  you might see it in many MSers pics if they have posted any...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Not yet. The FAA certification process is the great unknown.

David, were you at KOSH, if so I’m sorry I missed you. My cowl is fantastic, I’m just finishing a long tour of the west with my grandson. Everywhere we went involved taking off at gross and very high DA and clawing our way to 11,000 or more with mountain turbulence and downdrafts. The only thing I didn’t have to worry about was CHTs which seldom exceeded 360 for the hottest cylinders.

Of course people who know Mooneys offered that my plane with your cowl is the best looking Mooney they’d ever seen including a former Mooney owner who now does transition training for new Cirrus owners. He came over to say hello from a brand new SR 22 parked beside me this morning at KPWA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It’s getting much closer to having parts come out of the molds. I’m in it to finish it with the top cowling mold complete and the bottom cowling plug getting closer to completion. Here’s a couple of photos of the top cowling mold and the bottom cowling being finished up to make a plug. Note the access panels on the lower cowling that are going to be in the new cowling. 

Thanks,

David

354F6360-AD2F-4F21-B369-9BF9647E6FA2.jpeg

9F3E5C5B-1A0D-4B45-B3A5-6C4497094B2C.jpeg

• Like 5